How many have sacrificed too much to live the dream? To race the Baja, that' my dream

worldwide

RDC Crypto
Re: How many have sacrificed too much to live the dream? To race the Baja, that' my d

How much is to much? was it worth it? there are the fortunate ones that race and like me there are the ones that dream of one day racing it, i've been to lots of races ,helped friends chase, my favorite part of going to a race is watching the pits , studying everything that goes into the preparation for what might be needed during a race, I could build a car, the one thing on my mind when I do decide to do it is how much am I willing to sacrifice to live that dream? financially , and what I would put my relationship through , probably would end , was it worth it in the end?

I finally pulled it together for my first time this last 500. Best time Ive ever had racing. Finished 3rd 30+ bike. It took a lot of money, time and energy. Fortunatly for me I have no wife yapping in my ear so it was all good. The wife thing is the biggest issues for guys...one I just don't get. Ill just say Im happily divorced haha!

KayStrait

RDC Crypto
Website
www.cheapthrillsracing.webs.com
Re: how many have sacrificed to much to live the dream? To race the Baja , that' my d

For all teh others talking about wifes and girlfriends that dont understand...One more quote for you - from my neighbour..... "All women are spun, you just need to find the one that is spun right for you"

Wise words here. I enjoyed your whole story, we can learn a lot from all of these great stories and life lessons, great thread.

spi6616

RDC Crypto
Re: How many have sacrificed too much to live the dream? To race the Baja, that' my d

Like all athletes......Yes I said athletes!! The rodeo/bull rider, Major League pitcher, Star Basketball player, Winning Quarterback, Off road racer.......of the Women we love and stay committed to... the prouder they will be...of us and or achievements and Goals. Don't forget their needs (not always monetary either) they want to be invited and involved but don't really know they do and some may not, but certainly if you want to keep them around ....Let them have the option of NOT coming and being involved with the adventure. If its meant to be...it will be!! Cudo's to my Wife for allowing me to race a Saturday night race on our 10 year wedding Anniversary!! I'll never forget what she gave me then and I believe I made up for it somehow! Most will see the STUD-LY-NESS of a winner!! Make you dreams a Reality just don't kill it with obsession and lack of other commitments!! Good Luck! Remember "There's a fine line between a Hobby and Obsession"

Bryan J

RDC Crypto

Like all athletes......Yes I said athletes!! The rodeo/bull rider, Major League pitcher, Star Basketball player, Winning Quarterback, Off road racer.......of the Women we love and stay committed to... the prouder they will be...of us and or achievements and Goals. Don't forget their needs (not always monetary either) they want to be invited and involved but don't really know they do and some may not, but certainly if you want to keep them around ....Let them have the option of NOT coming and being involved with the adventure. If its meant to be...it will be!! Cudo's to my Wife for allowing me to race a Saturday night race on our 10 year wedding Anniversary!! I'll never forget what she gave me then and I believe I made up for it somehow! Most will see the STUD-LY-NESS of a winner!! Make you dreams a Reality just don't kill it with obsession and lack of other commitments!! Good Luck! Remember "There's a fine line between a Hobby and Obsession"

great piece of advice right there!

Walter

RDC Crypto
Website
walternashlaw.com

The decision you have to make is very personal and there may be things in your life, job, etc., that will make you go in a different direction than someone else.

I have been lucky enough to have raced a lot of different vehicles on many tracks for a long time. Being in the desert on 2 or 4wheels has been the most personal, exhilarating experience of my racing life.

When I got out of law school in '71 I wanted to road race cars, but could not afford it. I bought a dirt bike and got into that, raced MX for about 4 years and then entered a desert race. I ran all over the Southwest and then ran SCORE events in Baja for 3 years. I moved into a Class 10 car and ran it for a couple of years more. I then moved into road racing sports cars and formula cars, shifter karts, racing on dirt ovals, and drag raced a couple of alcohol dragsters before calling it quits about 4 years ago.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, like being out there in the desert pushing yourself for hours on end, challenging the terrain, hoping the ride stays underneath you, and going head to head with your friends who are out there with you. One of the best moments of my life (and there have been more than a few good times) was crossing the finish line in my first 500 and having Sal press that finisher pin into my hand. Just being out there and doing it is a very real and tangible victory, no matter where you finish.

You can race down there a lot easier and cheaper on a bike than a car. Whatever direction you go, plan it out, learn by watching others first..then...just do it.

zoomlenz4u

RDC Crypto
Website
www.zoomlenz4u.net

Oscar. I believe you have the heart to accomplish your dream. Great stories coming in and its awesome to see those with a dream and very limited resources but are able to see it come true.

I just want to make it to the score baja races more often than not. Yes it would be awesome to sit in the drivers seat of a TT or Class 1. But just being out there taking pictures of you in your dream car would be a great story to share at work. Look forward to seeing you out there behind the wheel soon.

Jack

RDC Crypto

I don't think you will find any stories here of folks that would say the sacrificed too much as those people would not be here on RDC where you stay when you fall in love with this sport.

breadkrum

RDC Crypto

i don't think you will find any stories here of folks that would say the sacrificed too much as those people would not be here on rdc where you stay when you fall in love with this sport.
sacrifice is my name!! Pay my rent and the rest is blown away on this expensive hobby!! No savings,just living pay check to pay check. Its a drug for us all... Rich or pore.

mdepue

RDC Crypto

sacrifice is my name!! Pay my rent and the rest is blown away on this expensive hobby!! No savings,just living pay check to pay check. Its a drug for us all... Rich or pore.

Nice, glad I'm not the only one.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Jack

RDC Crypto

"too much" is the question. If it it was, they would not be here.
We have all found a balance, even if that balance means we are broke all the time, we are enjoying this sport for all we can.

oramirez

RDC Crypto

It looks to me that if its in your heart no matter how limited the budget it can be done , just looking to finish a baja 1000 thats all , will probably do a couple small races before the big one, just hope that by the time i ready , (2 years from now) there still is a place in Score to race for small limited teams

Jeff72

RDC Crypto

Hi oramirez, well how are you making out with it? Did you decide if you are doing it or not?

I know what you mean about your concerns for small independent teams, I have the same concern. But, I'm not too worried about that.

What I wanted to pass on to you is what I have learned so far this past year building and prepping and our sacrifice for this year.

I've been involved in, and completed many different aspects of building/restoring/maintaining/operating various motive machines: from off road trucks, muscle cars, aircraft, heavy equipment, etc etc etc... So part of ths is not new to me, the work part of it.. But the rest of it, the nuts and bolts of it....

The One thing that has amazed me about this (off road racing) is the amount of technology that is involved in the vehicles, and the dedication of the participants to the sport and attention to detail in their builds. That said, the sacrifice that we are making on our build, is to put off the Baja 1000 for one year. It is just not possible to complete the truck - properly - for this year. We could throw it together last minute, we are so close with it! But not what we want to do. Quite frankly, half of the fun of this, is the build and the good times we are having with it! Just figuring out how to do it, and bringing in our own experiences of what works and what doesn't, reading and speaking with others their experiences on this forum - the new challenge of it is great.

We are still going - we will be there this year, and hopefully still involved in a small way. I have not contacted them yet, but I plan on speaking with one of the pit companies - Mag7. I spoke with a guy from there a few months back, I could be wrong but I believe his name was Bill - plan on calling next week - and asking if we could volunteer at one of the pits to help out this year. We can not race this year, but maybe we can still learn from the sidelines. Who knows... If not able to help out in the pit, then we can at least take a look at what others are doing for their builds.

The other thing I wanted to pass on - there is a fellow in the SCORE rule book, his name is Art, and his contact info is there too. I have bugged him a few times now! To someone like us who is new to the sport, the man is invaluable. When it comes time to build, and you run into something you are not clear of for your class, he can point you in the right direction or give you a solid answer. And this is for anyone starting a build, get your hands on at least one rule book! We have a few copies, and all involved have read it cover to cover!

Good luck with it!