How much Horse power do you need

racer56

Reaction
Your right foot is the best engine control system available. This is what separates the real race car drivers from the Pud-Knockers!

Atombomb

Reaction
"HP sells cars, torque wins races."

With all the modern electronics I wonder why off-road people aren't running variable horsepower programs (ala WRC, for example).
In first gear, 700hp gets you nothing but more wheelspin.
With fuel injection and computerized engine control it would be very easy to provide, say, 400hp in first, 500hp in second, 600hp in third and 700hp in fourth; for example.
Less wheelspin, more control and less parts breakage.

Traction control? Most EFI systems in the TT's have it available. It just depends if they decide to utilize it. I think RG runs it?

OldGreen

Reaction
Your right foot is the best engine control system available. This is what separates the real race car drivers from the Pud-Knockers!

We have a winner!!!

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
A very loaded question!!!!!!!! How much brains and balls do you have??? Think!!!!! Brains first,Balls second!!!

Atombomb

Reaction
Tech and/or testosterone.... The only two reasons people race cars.

VeryFast

Reaction
"HP sells cars, torque wins races."

With all the modern electronics I wonder why off-road people aren't running variable horsepower programs (ala WRC, for example).
In first gear, 700hp gets you nothing but more wheelspin.
With fuel injection and computerized engine control it would be very easy to provide, say, 400hp in first, 500hp in second, 600hp in third and 700hp in fourth; for example.
Less wheelspin, more control and less parts breakage.

Rick... you but me to it, we are putting a package together for Pistola right now for his #2 Trophy Truck. One Engine, different hp/tq for different tracks and positions on each track.

Stay Tuned....PFAFF RACING ENGINES

rickf

Reaction

Simplistic, but point taken, we are not talking traction control, per se, just giving the driver more tools.

Let me explain:

Assume that you have (don't get hung up on the numbers) a 700hp motor at full throttle but you can only reasonably use 400hp in first gear.
And assume that 700hp motor (at a given rpm) will make 400hp at one-quarter throttle.
With engine management software you can adjust output where the motor will make 400hp in first gear at, perhaps, three-quarters throttle.
This gives the driver an advantage in two areas:
1) Much finer control over wheelspin.
2) If done right, approximately the same throttle setting in every gear before wheelspin occurs (on a given traction surface)

The other, significant benefit is the extreme reduction in loading to the drivetrain in the lower gears as you gain and lose traction (rocks, etc.)

This is not new or expensive (relatively) technology in racing.

cncman

Reaction
Simplistic, but point taken, we are not talking traction control, per se, just giving the driver more tools.

Let me explain:

Assume that you have (don't get hung up on the numbers) a 700hp motor at full throttle but you can only reasonably use 400hp in first gear.
And assume that 700hp motor (at a given rpm) will make 400hp at one-quarter throttle.
With engine management software you can adjust output where the motor will make 400hp in first gear at, perhaps, three-quarters throttle.
This gives the driver an advantage in two areas:
1) Much finer control over wheelspin.
2) If done right, approximately the same throttle setting in every gear before wheelspin occurs (on a given traction surface)

The other, significant benefit is the extreme reduction in loading to the drivetrain in the lower gears as you gain and lose traction (rocks, etc.)

This is not new or expensive (relatively) technology in racing.

Easily done with electric throttle body's and gear input with the newer ECU, or electric throttle stops on a carburetor and an ecu.:rolleyes:

Reaction
If you don't want to operate your race vehicle, why not just let me drive it for you? I'd probably be faster anyway.

(offer good only with unlimited cars and trucks)