How much power are Class 10-1600 VW engines making???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I don't know if this belongs in this forum or the general race discussion one, but I'm trying to find out how much power (average number here) a well prepared (competitive) Class 10 1600cc engine puts out. . .

HP and torque. . .thanks!!!

Chase 2

Reaction
Hey Sidekicker, could you pass me the popcorn?? I can't wait to hear all of the dyno numbers people will brag about!

Ryan_P

Reaction
Class 10's don't run a 1600cc engine.

I'm with you though Chase, let the outrageous hp/tq numbers begin!

Water-cooled engines
Single-seat
1700cc – 8 valve - Single two-barrel carburetor

Single-seat
1650cc – 16 valve -Single two-barrel carburetor or stock fuel injection with max throttle body of 58.5cm

Two-seat
1800cc – 8 valve - Single two-barrel carburetor

Two-seat
1750cc – 16 valve - Single two-barrel carburetor or stock fuel injection with max throttle body of 58.5cm

Air-cooled engines
Single-seat
1915cc – four cylinder push rod - May utilize 2 carburetors or stock fuel injection

Two-seat
2000cc – four cylinder push rod - May utilize 2 carburetors or stock fuel injection

atomicjoe23

Reaction
OK. . .I guess I wasn't totally accurate there. . .I should have said the Class 10 limited cc's. . .

. . .I'm thinking of running a built Hayabusa powered buggy and was just trying to get a rough idea for power levels to shoot for. . .

I saw on DirtSports Masterpiece in metal one Class 10 with a VW engine that made 155 HP and 149 ft-lb torque. . .

. . .the stock '99-07 'Busa engine makes 158.3 HP and 99 ft-lb torque and the '08+ stock 'Busa engine makes 194 HP and 114 ft-lb. torque (those are measured numbers not manufacturers claims. . .I can't vouch for the truthfulness in them, but they are from a reputable engine builder involved in the national level racing so I would say they are probably close. . .)

I don't think I can hit the 1750cc limite for the 2-seat EFI buggis. . .the largest BB kit for a 'Busa that I have seen is ~1500cc and I don't know a power number behind that either. . .

. . .just thought I'd throw out why I wanted to know in case anyone was wondering. . .

Thanks!

racer56

Reaction
If you are going to run a motorcycle type engine, why not run a jet ski motor and run the full displacement allowed by the rules.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
because I didn't think about it. . .and I don't know how their drive system is set-up. . .haven't looked at the parts diagrams before and motorcycle engines are way easier to come by since everyone is always wrecking them. . .

zjohnson

Reaction
Low torque numbers are going to kill the drive ability. Thats why the VW's can compete still, honda's make bada$$ power, but the torque isn't as usable as the VW.
At least it'll sound bitchin . . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I agree with you on the torque issue and I'm looking into that now. . .the V-twin engines make a more torque than the I-4 sportbike engine do, but you sacrifice HP for it. . .plus they start out with even less displacement. . .

. . .there is a guy on here with an RC51 powered tube chassis UTV with Rhino bodwork. . .he's eating clutch plates though. . .I'm trying to help him out with that one. . .need to find him a lock-up clutch for an RC51. . .

bajatex

Reaction
I agree with you on the torque issue and I'm looking into that now. . .the V-twin engines make a more torque than the I-4 sportbike engine do, but you sacrifice HP for it. . .plus they start out with even less displacement. . .

. . .there is a guy on here with an RC51 powered tube chassis UTV with Rhino bodwork. . .he's eating clutch plates though. . .I'm trying to help him out with that one. . .need to find him a lock-up clutch for an RC51. . .

My car has an RC51 in it and weighs in @ probably 2000Lbs with occupants. I just did a 430 mile loop in Baja over the 500 weekend and have never had issues with the clutch. I would guess that your friend has an issue with his set up like a bent pushrod that might be hanging up or it might be driver error. I am also running Super Digger 3's on the back.

bajatex

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 384

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Id venture to say VW's are putting about 160 hp and Hondas are putting out about 200. Like said the Hinda has alot less torque and the VW makes more torque but less HP.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Hey guys what class and series are you racing in. . .obviously not SCORE Class 10. . .

BajaTex. . .if I sent you my buddies email addres or just told you his screen name on this forum would you being willing to talk with him about his clutch issues. . .he just ran the Baja 500 as well. . .

Thanks!

bajatex

Reaction
Hey guys what class and series are you racing in. . .obviously not SCORE Class 10. . .

BajaTex. . .if I sent you my buddies email addres or just told you his screen name on this forum would you being willing to talk with him about his clutch issues. . .he just ran the Baja 500 as well. . .

Thanks!

Sure, no problem.

Ryan B

Reaction
we were told our vw engine in our 10 car made about 125 to 130 hp

the speed tech 10 car with the honda engine i was told dyno'd at 300 hp.

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
Id venture to say VW's are putting about 160 hp and Hondas are putting out about 200. Like said the Hinda has alot less torque and the VW makes more torque but less HP.

You just gave me an idea. Because I have a K20 with a K24 head at my brothers house waiting to go into something. :D

Fourstroker

Reaction
we were told our vw engine in our 10 car made about 125 to 130 hp

the speed tech 10 car with the honda engine i was told dyno'd at 300 hp.

You are a ways off on both counts. VW engine higher and Honda much lower

Chase 2

Reaction
Here we go, Kicker...... we're going to need a fresh batch of pop corn!

standfast

Reaction
V-Twin's like RC51's make good torque but they are still not putting out as much as a Busa or a ZX14. I have a ZX14 car that I am racing in class 10. My last race had several professionally built VW and Toyota 10 motors. One was a brand new toyota with a $15k reciept. I was able to pull him on him in the straights. He passed me in a corner when I got lazy, I caught him, passed him back... Not too bad for a bone stock bike motor that was only $3k. He had much much more racing experience than me. That was my first dezert race. I was able to keep him behind me until I broke a radiator.

MC powered cars do have an achilles heel though. chain.... I am trying to figure out how to keep it alive longer. bajatex has some time into figuring out his as well.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Here we go, Kicker...... we're going to need a fresh batch of pop corn!

That's exactly why I did not throw out any exact numbers. Hold the presses on the popcorn