How much wheel travel is needed

BlueCoyote

Reaction
How much wheel travel is considered 'good' or adequate for a MDR 1450 or SCORE Stock Mini/7s truck?
I am working on a project - 80 Toyota LB 4x4 - and want to get all the best info I can before actually starting any work.
Thanks

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
is that a straight axel in the front?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Quality of travel is more important then quantity. A 7s is limited to 12" and will smoke the majoruity of 1450 trucks which have a lot more travel.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Yes, it is a solid front axle.

Is 12" on a mini truck considered good or adequate?

Explain quality - better shocks & dampening, spring rates - progressive??

BC

cleartoy

Reaction
Hey Blue, hows it goin? I would suggest that you run National or Deaver springs up front, from 4-5" longer than stock to the rear of the axle with a custom shackle. I would expect 12" from that for sure.

If you are serious, then run a 2.5" Bypass shock, and you would be optimum.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
I would recomend MDR 1450 because you will not make it in 7s. 12" will work fine for the front but I would go for 17+ travel in the rear. Go with longer springs front and rear to achieve this. Also, like cleartoy said, run a bypass shock front and rear. Even with the best setup that you could have, I don't see that type of truck being able to compete that well with the others in that class. Good luck with your project!

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Thanks ClearToy.
Your fabrictation looks like it is coming along nicely.
Would like to do Deavers / Nationals but this is an extreme budget project (the Ghetto faber's aint seen nothin yet..) If all works out well I can always upgrade later.
Since 12" is enought in the front, then my plan is to run some Toyota rears (modified) in the front and some 62" Chevs in the rear. This is close to my current rockrawler set up that yeilds 12+ in the front, back should be 15+. As for shocks - am looking for a deal on some SAW or Bilstiens. Currenly have many old Rancho rebuildables. Will use those until something better comes along.

TRD - as for running 7s - i do realize that this platform would not be competitive. However I may want to run Stock Mini later on. My goal is to build something reliable and fun.

JasonHutter

Reaction
Just a thought, what ever you are planning to do in the future with the truck. Start to build it to those rules now, if you don't it can cost a lot to change it in the future.

Jason

farmboy

Reaction
stock mini in score would be a great place for that truck. i have always planned to (some day in the future) run an old straight axle toyota in stock mini. those trucks are tough as hell with a few mods. my current 79 straight axle yota has won a bunch of vorra races and preran and chased many many offroad miles. it's close to 500 thousand and still tickin. for your truck a few low budget tips- 12" front and rear with stock springs works pretty good with some decent shocks. i'm only runnin billstein 5100's and they work allright but there cheap. if you go 12" front and 17' rear, the rear will be so much faster that you beat the hell out of the front. leave em 12 and 12. also, gusset the front housing cause it will break, and the front corners of the frame will crack. if you PM me i can give you a bunch of straight axle yota tips. good luck.

the faster you go the smoother it is

Tom_Willis

Reaction
if you haven't started the fab work yet.............. This is just a suggestion, but I would suggest you do what I shoud have done... Wait until Curt Leduc's show in Fontana, and SERIOUSLY consider buying a truck that is already done or near done. If this sounds wrong just add up the cash and time it will take you to build it. Since 1997 I've spent 6 grand in tools, and have just a basic bare bones shop. Then consider parts like a trussed axle/ Deaver leafs/King bypass shocks/disc brake rotors/ etc... I have about 4 grand sitting between the back tires. And I'll probably spend a minimum of 10 grand more for a motor and trans that will be reliable. That's almost 20 thousand dollars before I bent a single piece of tube. And nobody on this board even remembers the last time they saw my F-150 running under it's own power.

BlueCoyote

Reaction
One of the reasons I am 'bench racing' the ideas around to to try an prevent exactly what you are saying. Been there - done that. This time I am working on the 'grand plan' before construction (spending) begins. Have taken the adivse of other and narrowed down to building under SCORE/BITD Stock Mini rules - will run MDR but will be able to move up.
Yes - am going to the Le Duc swap meet. Not spending one cent until that time.
No - cannot afford to buy a complete truck (unless the perfect deal comes along). But since I have many (lots & lots) of spare Toyota and other parts, going do do a budget build up. But for those w/o the parts/tools/knowledge, I concur that is the BEST way to go.
I highly value the input of others that have been through this before. It has brought up some issues I had not yet considered.