How should I set up my truck?

FordFreak

Reaction
I recently have felt the joy of off-roading with some of my friends and loved it. I have a '94 Ford Ranger Std cab, 2.3L, 5 speed and was wondering what I should do as far as how much I should raise it, what products/company parts I should use. I am not looking to build a truck that I could race right now. This will be my first truck and don't really want to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars as I might wreck it or something. I know that most of you here are serious about this stuff and I would appreciate you not telling me I need to buy the best and all that and I am not willing to spend the money I should go to some other site. I was thinking about a H&M or Camburg entry level performance lift. I would love to hear what you all think, thanks.

ntsqd

Reaction
Dampers ('shocks')are key. No matter what lift, who's kit if you opt for one, or what wheel travel you end up with, if you put POS dampers on it, your truck will ride like a POS. Compromise elsewhere, buy quality dampers. Fox, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way, & King (who did I miss ?). Debating the merits of one brand over the other here will result in a flame war, you're on your own there.
Next, if what ever kit you buy or didn't buy doesn't come with leaf springs, call Deaver. They can set you up and they're first rate people to deal with.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Dillon

Reaction
Man, I wish I had an old Ranger when I started offroading (damn expensive Tacoma...). You're lucky and you're not lucky. You're lucky becasue stuff is relatively cheap for entry-level setups for you and about every shop has some sort of cheap good solid bulletproof I-beam setup for Rangers. You're not lucky because EVERY shop does have a setup...you have to choose what is quality and what is...not.

Cool things about Rangers is you can rig all kinds of ghetto setups and they will work becasue the suspension is just awesome. My buddy once just put some longer springs on his 95 longbed without bent beams...so ghetto but it worked and he beat the snot out that truck actually got $1000 for it when he was finished.

If it was was me and and I just wanted something to hold me over for awhile before I decided if I want to really get into it...I'd just go to AutoFab or Camburg like you mentioned and get bent beams, modded radius arms some coils and Bilstein 5100s and an AAL/shackles w/ Bilstein 5100s. Any entry level setup will set you back about $1000 give or take a few hundered bucks depending on what you go with.

Good luck and have fun.