On Topic How to build a 302 for prerunner

Dezertpilot

Ls swap the end

PDANK Racing

Friend and I did a pretty stout 302 for his mustang with trickflow wedge heads(2.02/1.60 valves), 1.7 rockers, 750 carb, weiand dual plane intake, stock cam and rotating assembly. We're guessing about 325hp/350tq, Bigger cam will wake it up even more. Costwise, it was around $4000 including new bearings, rings, oil pump, oil pan, distributor, donor motor and a bunch of other parts. Heads were the biggest purchase at $1266 for an assembled pair.
If I was using a heavier vehicle, 351 would be a better option, cost is about the same to make more power.

EOR1488

We are building our second 302 based engine right now. First was a 347 stroker, aluminum heads, blah blah.

Now doing a 363 stroker Dart Block all forged motor should be nice. We went that way because we already had other parts, for the driveline that were all for that set up so to keep cost down.

If you want to stay Ford if you can I would start with a 351w and build it out. If not just build a stroker out of the 302 Block you have super simple to do then just start looking for a good pair of used aluminum heads in the 180-190 cc range . Our set up dynoed at 400hp

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Dezertpilot

We are building our second 302 based engine right now. First was a 347 stroker, aluminum heads, blah blah.

Now doing a 363 stroker Dart Block all forged motor should be nice. We went that way because we already had other parts, for the driveline that were all for that set up so to keep cost down.

If you want to stay Ford if you can I would start with a 351w and build it out. If not just build a stroker out of the 302 Block you have super simple to do then just start looking for a good pair of used aluminum heads in the 180-190 cc range . Our set up dynoed at 400hp

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
drivetrain loss or on the dyno?

shawn t

Why not a 400? That should start a few opinions!:D

Seriously. Biggest issue in the past was pistons. Now reasonable priced, zero deck, correct pin, forged flat tops are available. Everything else is readily available except headers for post 1979. Use pre-smog 2v heads (78cc) and get 9.5/1 cr or up. Tmeyers oil mod.

Strong and tons of torque.