How To Build a Rear Prerunner Bumper video

mfs

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
cool vid. that hitch is way to low! that kills your departure angle.

PrerunnerManiac

Reaction
Website
www.prerunnermaniac.com
cool vid. that hitch is way to low! that kills your departure angle.
Yes you are right, and I have hit it numerous times, but it was a sacrifice we had to make to still be able to pull our trailer. Our next build we won't have to do this....

mfs

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
You could have built the hitch up higher and have a drop down receiver. Here's a bumper I had on a Toyota I use to own with the hitch up high. For a example:
eqy4e9ed.jpg

I guess you wouldn't want to be telling people people that are new to welding to be welding on hitches :)

loufish

Reaction
Keep in mind that keeping the reciever real high and then using a longer drop hitch means there is a lot more leverage on the reciever/bumper. When I build custom rear bumpers with a reciever, I always make the reciever tube long enough to handle not only the leverage issue, but secure it to take the load of a snatch strap pulling the veh out of whatever....

mfs

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Keep in mind that keeping the reciever real high and then using a longer drop hitch means there is a lot more leverage on the reciever/bumper. When I build custom rear bumpers with a reciever, I always make the reciever tube long enough to handle not only the leverage issue, but secure it to take the load of a snatch strap pulling the veh out of whatever....

Yea they need to be strong not really a job for a 110volt welder. I like to add a square tube crossmember to the frame or across the bumper brackets and have it bolt or weld to that for extra strength. welding it to just the tube bumper is not really Strong enough. the drop hitches are rated so you know what they can handle. Not sure what you mean about making it longer and how that makes it stronger.

loufish

Reaction
Not sure what you mean about making it longer and how that makes it stronger.
I was refering to the reciever tube welded to the bumper....I run them long, heading towards the front of the truck and then run some sort of cross member to attach to them...
here's a few pic of my bumper on my truck, sorry I don't have pic of how the long tube is attached to the frame....

Attachments

• Hitch 1.jpg
    Hitch 1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 533
  • Hitch 2.jpg
    Hitch 2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Hitch 5.jpg
    Hitch 5.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Hitch 6.jpg
    Hitch 6.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 312

crash_lander

Reaction
thanks for the video. Im going to watch your other installments as well.

Lets all remember that this is a basics prerunner rear bumper how to, Perfect for guys who still use their beds and mount the spare under the truck.

PrerunnerManiac

Reaction
Website
www.prerunnermaniac.com
thanks for the video. Im going to watch your other installments as well.

Lets all remember that this is a basics prerunner rear bumper how to, Perfect for guys who still use their beds and mount the spare under the truck.

Glad you liked it!!! We have a ton more up on our YouTube channel.