• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to flush oil cooler

jack montgomery

I need to flush out my CBR oil cooler so I can change it over to transmission fluid, any ideas on the best way to go about that?

green787

I need to flush out my CBR oil cooler so I can change it over to transmission fluid, any ideas on the best way to go about that?
Transmission fluid is so refined that is has cleaning properties.... You can add a quart to your engine to clean out the sludge.... So, I'm thinking you don't need to do anything.... but I don't know what CBR stands for....

Josh 8

The best thing to do is get a new cooler. I also understand the costs and why that not practical.

I would say to rinse it as best and you can with something that cuts oil well like kerosene. It won't effect the oil. Then blow out and rinse with engine oil well.

Now the most important part. What side of the cooler was the filter on? It should be before it. If so great. If not, not bad either. If it's was before the cooler with engine oil, and still will be there then there is probably nothing in the cooler. But just to be safe I would temporarily fit a secound inline filter in after cooler as a last chance catch before it goes back in the trans.

Inportand note. I don't now what type of trans you have so I would not run the car vary hard with the this secound inline filter. It is going to ask a restriction to the amount of oil that goes back in the trans and could effect a lot of stuff in there in bad ways. Only do this for the first 1/2 hour or so to catch any thing that may want to break loose. Then go back to the filter that the trans manufacturer recommends.

J Burleson

Find someone near you who does ultrasonic cleaning. They will also be able to pressure test it for you once it's clean. I have found one near me in San Pedro who will do smaller coolers for $55 each and a big radiator (35x20) for $125. $15 to pressure test.

jack montgomery

thanks for all of the suggestions the cooler did not have any damage from the transmission or motor I just want to change the oil cooler to a transmission cooler , I need two transmission coolers to calm the transmission down and then I'm adding a mini oil cooler. Good suggestions and will try the kerosene.

Slippery P

X2 on the ultra sonic cleaning.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Critical operations hands down they do most of the aircraft coolers plus they give you a little bag of whatever came out of your cooler, next time plumb a filter in before the cooler.