How to get into offroad racing

Olson04

Reaction
Im just wondering what is the best way to get into the offroad racing scene. Also what is the best class to get into for a new driver to get into or how to get into navigating. I would like to get my foot in the door to do racing. Ive never raced before so im not really to sure how to do it and what it takes. Any help would be great

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Where do you live? Location and time/financial freedom dictate what you can get into.

If you have the means and and no existing relationship with anyone in the culture, Id reccomend a course like Desert Race School or go to Trophy Lite directly.

If money is a factor. Volunteer at an event...meet some teams...find someone who needs a hand. Thats not going to lead to left seat time though.

Reaction
Get a good education, start a successful business, sacrifice to invest wisely and well. Then rent-a-ride, retire intact fiscally and physically. No need to emigrate, just get a tourist visa.

Olson04

Reaction
I live in Brooks Alberta, Canada so traveling would eat up alot of time and cost to do it thats for sure. Probaly wouldnt be able to do alot of events due to i usually work 30 days on and a week off. But i can book time off. I do have some money to put into the sport. I was looking at the rent a ride thing but with the passing of Pistol im not sure if Baja adventures will still be going to rent off of and im not to sure where else you can rent to ride race vechiles that i would be able to handle to race seeings im a newbie driver. I was look at there site and i got the money to do some of the smaller races that do not cost as much. Baja 1000 is out of the questions. $30000 is quite a bit to drop on just one race. Also i have no ties in the sport to anyone so i would be pretty much going in blind.

Reaction
Check with Trophylite as well for a race rental. With your situation, arrive and drive is the way you want to go.

Put our a plea for rental rides in other classes, you might find a lap is cheaper than a whole race.

Good luck!

Brian Mc

Reaction
Also you have YORRA Yellowstone off-road racing association just south of you look into them.

Good luck and have fun

Walter

Reaction
Try a motorcycle first. Way cheaper to start with a bike than a car. Support/maintenance requirements are cheaper as well.

Learn logistics, support, planning and the vibe.

Then, if you are appropriately funded, move to a car.

I have done both.

jon coleman

Reaction
dems economic plan, Throw that cash,( you do know they Are using your hard earned tax dollars?, right....)

Olson04

Reaction
Motorcycle is out of the question. Im not good on 2 wheels. Me and the twist throttle do not get alone. aka whiskey throttle. Screwed myself up really bad with on a few years back. Ive got emails into Trophy Lites and Vore about there programs. I was thinking about going with something with small HP to start so i can get a feel for the racing offroad first before going into big powered thing. Thanks for everyones input.

Brian Mc

Reaction
Maybe you should stick to video games....WHISKEY throttle, If you do try let us know when and what class your in so I can steer clear.

jon coleman

Reaction
Yes , start small, & climb that ladder.and dont listen to anyone say' oh that class?, its slow', if they do, ask what there racing background is, usually not much, just dont be pressured into too much hp class, finish in top third in each series you race before moving up.remember to have fun at it.motorsport is a fustration test.....

johndjmix

Reaction
Start a team. $30,000 sounds like a lot but when you have 15 people involved, its not so bad. +1 for Trophylite. Great way to race

--John

AlaskaBaja

Reaction
Call or visit www.wideopenbaja.com They have great program with support. You might be able to get a couple of other people together to share the cost of renting the Offroad car or they might help you hook up with a other people to share the cost.
Also start of with the San Felipe 250 race should be a cheaper race. These guys have a good track recorder of all there car finishing. If find out you love Offroad Racing then you will find a way to keep coming and racing. Just keep in mind many people think they want to off road race but once they try it you will either love it or say these people are crazy for doing this. Good luck and hope to see you out there.