• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to get into Prerunning?

02 Ranger

What would you recommend for someone not knowing much about prerunners, advice, brands to use/not use. Can it be done cheaply? What is a good truck to do it with? Can it be a daily driver? or anything else you might suggest for a beginner. Thanks!

down4glamis

Head to www.thejumpchamps.com or www.instagram.com/jumpchamps and check out an event that focuses on all the questions you asked. You can see trucks you like, brands on display, and get a good idea of what it takes to have a truck, and what level that truck can be.

PAB

40's rock!
I'm selling our four seat buggy and it can come with a 3 day Baja pre run if you are interested...with me driving...we have some pre-run experience. Approx $65k for brand new prep from ground up on a car more proven than any other in my opinion. All spares too

If you want a daily driver there are a number of trucks that can be financed that will make it around a course but calling them a pre runner would be a stretch. We use our street trucks for some recon and host 2k long off-road trips in them, they are awesome. But you will never go through any whoops in them.

Good luck and have fun

lifted&slifted

Buy a 94 to 95 Bronco with the 5.8L engine....simple engine cage with coilovers, deaver springs with new shocks in the rear and go have some fun. Five years later you will know exactly what you want after you have visited a few races and gone on a few trips with other people.

Welcome to RDC

nimrod

KOOK!
PAB's alumi-craft is an awesome car and super well maintained, LS engine, sequential trans. Super nice.
In case that's out of your budget a nice used RZR might get you into the shallow end of the pool.
Or... wait for the 2017 raptor to hit in full force and see if the prices on the earlier model drop any.

I think PAB has a couple really nice raptors for sale too.

johndjmix

I don't think the prices on the earlier raptors will drop much with the 17 out. Heck, I think they will continue to climb. The steel body raptors are valuable!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

BigTallBastard

What would you recommend for someone not knowing much about prerunners, advice, brands to use/not use. Can it be done cheaply? What is a good truck to do it with? Can it be a daily driver? or anything else you might suggest for a beginner. Thanks![/QUOTE

This is about as cheap as it gets. Its all done and is being sold for pennies on the dollar like any other vehicle like this. I'll make you a deal.
Heavy Duty Prerunner Chase Truck

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
I think that a Ranger is a great platform to start with and can be done slowly and cost effectively and still be driven as a daily driver

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

MARXICO

Your pruner should be a disposable vehicle that you are not relying to drive to work on Monday and no payments .In the event you have to leave the vehicle and walk out of the desert, be prepared to have it striped it happens in America and Mexico. The nicer your pre runner is the less city miles you will want to put on it. Buy used it’s a buyers’ market, check out the classified there are linked 4wd rangers for $10,000 and up .A used 2 seat buggy will be more fun that a 5000 pound Turkey. Fire roads are fun but race courses are a different animal .These are entry level suggestions .You would be happier buying PABs Buggy. Any new trucks will tweak without considerable modification and money thrown at.Prerunners don’t really handle that good on the street or freeway
Buy a used purpose built vehicle not a daily driver, hopefully you will ware it out instead of having it stolen at the mall .

Last edited:

hendersoned

Go to the races early, hang out, look around, chat. Old race cars make good prerrunners but generally not streetable depending on where you register. Plenty of bone stock keeps making the rounds at low speed. Rent a keep, get the extra insurance and come to Laughlin in December for rage at the river, I'll sell you my '62 beetle a-arm buggy for 10% of Pabs Alumcraft

02 Ranger

Thanks everyone! I'll be doing some more research, but I have a 02 ranger that ive thought of building, but it's a daily.

nimrod

KOOK!
Parts are expensive and upkeep is a major consideration. I'd seriously consider a used RZR if you're on a tight budget.

PAB

40's rock!
For sure don't "pre run" your daily driver....Now to cruise and look at off-road stuff is a whole other thing

02 Ranger

When I get another vehicle to dedicate to building, can you suggest any brands to go with or not go with?

3 Amigos Racing

Consider building a Jeepspeed style Cherokee pre runner. More than capable pre runner for Baja or USA, plenty of spares and kit parts too on a budget..and your building your race car at the same time. www.jeepspeed.com

nimrod

KOOK!
Where do you live? Hook up with a team, start helping and learning. I saw that your 16, I admire your drive and willingness to ask for advice, that's wise. Sixteen is a great age to start making what you want in life happen. Racing or having a prerunner takes a lot of money, get good grades, if you don't have a job get one. Work hard and keep your eye on the prize.

Rangers and Jeeps are great platforms for building because there's a ton of affordable stuff out there for them. You could build up your Ranger but you'd be without wheels while you built it up or worked on it plus there's always the risk of losing your Ranger due to damage.

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy one someone else already started building as long as it's not done wrong and needs everything rebuilt or replaced. Cruise the classifieds. You never know.

Ford Ranger Pre Runner