• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to get into Prerunning?

02 Ranger

Ok, I'm thinking of just buying another ranger just to build when I have money. Maybe already done or not. Thanks
Where do you live? Hook up with a team, start helping and learning. I saw that your 16, I admire your drive and willingness to ask for advice, that's wise. Sixteen is a great age to start making what you want in life happen. Racing or having a prerunner takes a lot of money, get good grades, if you don't have a job get one. Work hard and keep your eye on the prize.

Rangers and Jeeps are great platforms for building because there's a ton of affordable stuff out there for them. You could build up your Ranger but you'd be without wheels while you built it up or worked on it plus there's always the risk of losing your Ranger due to damage.

02 Ranger

Are you talking about a Cherokee?
Where do you live? Hook up with a team, start helping and learning. I saw that your 16, I admire your drive and willingness to ask for advice, that's wise. Sixteen is a great age to start making what you want in life happen. Racing or having a prerunner takes a lot of money, get good grades, if you don't have a job get one. Work hard and keep your eye on the prize.

Rangers and Jeeps are great platforms for building because there's a ton of affordable stuff out there for them. You could build up your Ranger but you'd be without wheels while you built it up or worked on it plus there's always the risk of losing your Ranger due to damage.

Rocket 450

Get a dirt bike, the cheapest prerunner out there, it will fit in your daily driver, upkeep is cheap. And you always meet the nicest people on dirt bikes :)

nimrod

KOOK!
Start with a set of Deaver leafs for the back. Then some fox smooth bore shocks in the rear. Both are fairly "affordable" and you can take baby steps. This won't make your truck a Baja 1000 prerunner but you can have fun with it on trails, fire roads, and anything that isn't whooped out race course. Then get some upper control arms and some fox internal bypass coilovers for the front. You won't have much more travel than stock but it's within reach and you will have fun and learn to wrench on your truck. After that the only limit to what you do is money.

Check out websites like Camburg, Kar-Tek, Total Chaos, on and on.

02 Ranger

Start with a set of Deaver leafs for the back. Then some fox smooth bore shocks in the rear. Both are fairly "affordable" and you can take baby steps. This won't make your truck a Baja 1000 prerunner but you can have fun with it on trails, fire roads, and anything that isn't whooped out race course. Then get some upper control arms and some fox internal bypass coilovers for the front. You won't have much more travel than stock but it's within reach and you will have fun and learn to wrench on your truck. After that the only limit to what you do is money.

Check out websites like Camburg, Kar-Tek, Total Chaos, on and on.
Ok ill look into that.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
It's always cheaper to buy someone else's built prerunner. I just sold mine (below) for $11K. You couldn't build it yourself with all used parts for that!!

That bring said, you can prerun in anything halfway off road worthy as long as you drive it smartly and within reason. Some of the best racers in desert racing history did their prerunning in semi-stock 4x4 trucks or jeeps...basically, it needs to be really reliable and well maintained. Breaking down when no one else is around while prerunning is frustrating, at best, and dangerous, if not prepared; in the summer months especially.

If you are talking about raging around with your bros in the desert, not sure if that's technically "prerunning" anyway. :)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

BHollander

Run far far away don't do it. A long travel ranger or bolt on pre-runner is a gateway drug stick to dirt bikes and maybe grab a RZR as mentioned. You start playing with trucks it is a slippery slope. lol. But if you just have to have one I get it.

02 Ranger

It's always cheaper to buy someone else's built prerunner. I just sold mine (below) for $11K. You couldn't build it yourself with all used parts for that!!

That bring said, you can prerun in anything halfway off road worthy as long as you drive it smartly and within reason. Some of the best racers in desert racing history did their prerunning in semi-stock 4x4 trucks or jeeps...basically, it needs to be really reliable and well maintained. Breaking down when no one else is around while prerunning is frustrating, at best, and dangerous, if not prepared; in the summer months especially.

If you are talking about raging around with your bros in the desert, not sure if that's technically "prerunning" anyway. :)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
11k is a lot cheaper than building it yourself.... WOW! Thanks for your input.

02 Ranger

Run far far away don't do it. A long travel ranger or bolt on pre-runner is a gateway drug stick to dirt bikes and maybe grab a RZR as mentioned. You start playing with trucks it is a slippery slope. lol. But if you just have to have one I get it.
lol. Ya I still have a RZR in mind still.... But I would rather have a truck.

johndjmix

Look at it this way, id rather have a private jet (Potts style ) but instead I'm flying delta.

Trucks are great pre runners but the bills can really add up. If you do go the truck route I would defiantly agree with the guys on the rangers or broncos. Always see tons of them made to pre run in Mexico.

That said you will spend all this time and money then have a Mexican in a stock mini van get through something that your stuck in. Always blows my mind.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

43mod

wife says her 2014 Raptor is going up for sale. Bigger fox up front Deavers and 2.5 race bypass in rear w bed cage,2 spares,Generals, GPS and 2 race radios 35k ish miles . She wants a damn Toyota !!! bring check book or I will deliver to Ensanada !

Ben77

I pre run my mildly built DD. But I have broken it and it sucks, but thankfully I have a second stocker DD thats reliable.

Dirtbikes are great srsly, or look into building credit once you can to pick up a UTV or someones built truck

Also, stay in school!!

nimrod

KOOK!
Ok ill look into that.
You can buy all that stuff individually. Save money buy deavers install, save money buy fox smooth bore shocks install, Save money buy upper control arms install, save money buy fox dsc coilovers.
You can install all that stuff yourself with simple tools. ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS, ALWAYS.

You'll notice I recommend doing the back first. If you look at any vehicle from a trophy truck to a Ford Raptor or a UTV they all have more travel in the rear than the front. There's an actual reason for that. If the front finds something too big to handle the front sends all that energy to the rear and if the rear can't absorb that energy you go flipping through the Desert. Sometimes guys will build a vehicle with more front travel than the rear because it's so easy to get more travel on a street vehicle up front. Don't do that.

If you do the front first so it looks better just remember that your rear end is still stock and drive within its limits.

Last edited:

Racing Ron

Pre Run:
Course recon at controlled speed
Course recon at race speed
Course recon while having a blast without the stress and cost of racing

We have "Pre run" in Jeeps, race trucks, dedicated tube chassis pre runners, stock and modified Raptors. Get out there and enjoy, don't worry so much about the vehicle.