• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to get into Prerunning?

02 Ranger

Pre Run:
Course recon at controlled speed
Course recon at race speed
Course recon while having a blast without the stress and cost of racing

We have "Pre run" in Jeeps, race trucks, dedicated tube chassis pre runners, stock and modified Raptors. Get out there and enjoy, don't worry so much about the vehicle.
Ok, thanks!

JDDurfey

Pre Run:
Course recon at controlled speed
Course recon at race speed
Course recon while having a blast without the stress and cost of racing

We have "Pre run" in Jeeps, race trucks, dedicated tube chassis pre runners, stock and modified Raptors. Get out there and enjoy, don't worry so much about the vehicle.
This is it in a nut shell. You can spend a whole lot of money building some bad azz pre-runner only to have the same amount of fun and accomplish the exact same thing as a guy that is on his dirt bike. I have never pre-run on 4 wheels, and I am sure it is nice to have the luxury of AC and heat while doing it, but the whole point is for course re-con. It can be done just as well on a bike as a 4 wheel vehicle. In fact, I dare say, that if you are serious about learning the course, a bike is the way to go.

I would see something I needed to make a mental note of and turn around and back track a hundred yards or so to double check or look at it again. It is also easier to check out "creative lines" on a bike. Even the few times I have been in a car during the race, I pre-ran on my bike. Mostly because I couldn't afford a pre-runner vehicle, but I also enjoy riding my bike. I bought a Lowrance gps and handlebar mount so I could mark dangers and later upload to the race car. Once again, pretty simple to whip a u turn and go back and mark something that you want to have on the GPS come race day. And being able to turn around and go back I could mark it 100 yards in advance for when I was navigating in a Class 1.

Just get out there and do it.

Jerry Zaiden

Best band for the buck is a 1996-2004 Tacoma 4x4. Install an LT kit, rear Deavers, shocks through the bed, make a few bed racks for spares, cooler, and other gear and go have fun! Also make sure you have a set of traction treads you will need them!

You can pick up a used truck in very good condition for around $8000. Then expect to spend another $15,000 to set it up. These trucks are very strong and very reliable.

02 Ranger

I
Best band for the buck is a 1996-2004 Tacoma 4x4. Install an LT kit, rear Deavers, shocks through the bed, make a few bed racks for spares, cooler, and other gear and go have fun! Also make sure you have a set of traction treads you will need them!

You can pick up a used truck in very good condition for around $8000. Then expect to spend another $15,000 to set it up. These trucks are very strong and very reliable.
Is it worth the extra money to get the experience of building it yourself, and learning the ins and outs of your project? Or is it better to save some money, but you don't know as much about your project as if you were to build it yourself.

BajaboundMoto

In your original post you said "cheaply" and "beginner".
What sort of $ do you have to throw at this?
There's some super expensive (in my book) suggestions made here. Not in the realm of possible for me or some.
Dirtbikes, yep, easy deal. And I love my $22k RZR, it's a blast! 3600 miles on it in 10 months, including Tecate to Cabo, no issues, smooth, fun, and payments.

J BomBer

Your question really depends on your Finances, Pre runners can range from a VW all the way up to a Trophy Truck. We can suggest all kinds of things but not knowing a general Price range makes it difficult to answer.

nimrod

KOOK!
Just build your Ranger. You're young, if it breaks you can bum rides or cars from family and friends or used RZR. You don't need the newest RZR turbo to have fun. A 900 is cheap and will get you moving.

nimrod

KOOK!
This is a lot of vehicle. I'd offer 10,500 and go from there.
rzr xp 900
Heated seats is a really nice touch, the mornings and nights in Baja can be a bit cold in November prerunning the 1000

02 Ranger

In your original post you said "cheaply" and "beginner".
What sort of $ do you have to throw at this?
There's some super expensive (in my book) suggestions made here. Not in the realm of possible for me or some.
Dirtbikes, yep, easy deal. And I love my $22k RZR, it's a blast! 3600 miles on it in 10 months, including Tecate to Cabo, no issues, smooth, fun, and payments.
I don't have much money to throw at it but, if I had to put a price it would probably have to be less than 20k. Im only a kid so It would have to be gradual, I couldn't throw out 20k right out of the gates.

02 Ranger

Your question really depends on your Finances, Pre runners can range from a VW all the way up to a Trophy Truck. We can suggest all kinds of things but not knowing a general Price range makes it difficult to answer.
Same answer as above.

02 Ranger

Just build your Ranger. You're young, if it breaks you can bum rides or cars from family and friends or used RZR. You don't need the newest RZR turbo to have fun. A 900 is cheap and will get you moving.
Ya a rzr is still a very possible option.

Jerry Zaiden

I

Is it worth the extra money to get the experience of building it yourself, and learning the ins and outs of your project? Or is it better to save some money, but you don't know as much about your project as if you were to build it yourself.
Buy the suspension kit, parts, etc. Then install and fab everything else. It will take way more time and money to build a one off kit then it would be to just buy one over the counter. Also when you do one stop shopping with us we save you money on all the parts through the build.

Like a few also have said. What kind of money are you looking at spending? $3000? $5000? $10,000?

All make a huge difference.

bajafox

Accepted
I preran the Baja 500 through Simpsons in a basically stock 1998 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with King coilovers and 5100 Bilstiens in the back. Also preran Primm 300 in 05 with it.

Anything can be a prerunner, I know some guys that prerun in a stock bug

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

DirtDgr

This is it in a nut shell. You can spend a whole lot of money building some bad azz pre-runner only to have the same amount of fun and accomplish the exact same thing as a guy that is on his dirt bike. I have never pre-run on 4 wheels, and I am sure it is nice to have the luxury of AC and heat while doing it, but the whole point is for course re-con. It can be done just as well on a bike as a 4 wheel vehicle. In fact, I dare say, that if you are serious about learning the course, a bike is the way to go.

I would see something I needed to make a mental note of and turn around and back track a hundred yards or so to double check or look at it again. It is also easier to check out "creative lines" on a bike. Even the few times I have been in a car during the race, I pre-ran on my bike. Mostly because I couldn't afford a pre-runner vehicle, but I also enjoy riding my bike. I bought a Lowrance gps and handlebar mount so I could mark dangers and later upload to the race car. Once again, pretty simple to whip a u turn and go back and mark something that you want to have on the GPS come race day. And being able to turn around and go back I could mark it 100 yards in advance for when I was navigating in a Class 1.

Just get out there and do it.
Absolutely. I prerun on a bike. I throw on a back pack with extra fuel and water. Tape a note pad and pen to the crossbar. Then I take notes of all the bad stuff, which is a lot more in a Class 11 than other classes! Then I transfer the notes to a long piece of duct tape and put it on the dash. Nothing forces you to remember things better than on a bike.

But if your in it for other reasons people prerun, I like the build a truck option! Consider a bug too! They go amazing places! and you could do it for less probably. You can get a race ready Class 11 for $8000 right here in racedez. Class 11

02 Ranger

Buy the suspension kit, parts, etc. Then install and fab everything else. It will take way more time and money to build a one off kit then it would be to just buy one over the counter. Also when you do one stop shopping with us we save you money on all the parts through the build.

Like a few also have said. What kind of money are you looking at spending? $3000? $5000? $10,000?

All make a huge difference.
Well, total I wouldn't want to spend more than 20k. Thats including the vehicle.

fathead

Second the RZR option, I have a RZR 4 800, and it is a blast to drive. Would love to have more power, but it does just fine for being 800cc's

DeRaRa

I have owned F-150 Prerunners, Broncos, and Baja Bugs, if you are young and limited on funds you cannot beat the performance of a well built Baja Bug. Find one that someone has already invested 30K into it that is (STREET LEGAL) has all the window glass intact, a cage,with a good motor and trans and you can go anywhere. No matter where you are in Baja, or the states someone will help you fix it if you breakdown. I've seen plenty on RDC classified under 20K. When you get older and want to sell it, you can sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it, if you maintained it properly.

Bro_Gill

Second the above. And it doesn't even have to be a crazy build to have a great time tooling around the courses in Baja. Very minor mods will make the car go anywhere a Ranger or Bronco costing 3-4 times as much would go and it is much cooler to do it O.G. style.

TJERGENSEN

Prerunning on a bike is nothing like prerunning in a car. I have done it both ways and you dont learn the course for racing the car on a bike. It doesn't feel the same and you don't take the same lines. If you are planning on racing a 4 wheel vehicle prerun in a 4 wheel something. My 2 cent.