• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to get into Prerunning?

Tim

As others have said, get involved with a team.
In the late 90's when this site was a black page of streaming red text I posted on here and had someone respond that they needed help at the next race. I showed up and dumped fuel and changed some tires. Within the year I got a ride in the right seat. Next thing I knew a new friend and I built a car and started racing. I started driving in addition to riding right seat.

So, you can do it. It just takes working your ass off and showing someone who has a car that you take it more seriously than the other guys out there helping.

fatnbald

i was expecting this thread to go a completely different direction.
bravo race-dezert

i have no advice that hasn't already been given
used is best
bronco's rule
toyotas are cool if you fit in them
don't buy a buggy unless you can afford the time to learn how to keep it alive, or have the money to pay someone to do it for you

02 Ranger

As others have said, get involved with a team.
In the late 90's when this site was a black page of streaming red text I posted on here and had someone respond that they needed help at the next race. I showed up and dumped fuel and changed some tires. Within the year I got a ride in the right seat. Next thing I knew a new friend and I built a car and started racing. I started driving in addition to riding right seat.

So, you can do it. It just takes working your ass off and showing someone who has a car that you take it more seriously than the other guys out there helping.
Thanks for your input! I would love to work with a team at some point.

Travisfab

I have a significantly less into mine than you would think. My "long travel kit" is conversion beam brackets to run the Bronco Dana 44 beams, and a simple shock mount for coilovers. Rear suspension is Deavers and triple bypass's. It may be too soon for you to commit on a welder and some fab tools, but I can tell you from experience that with some basic fab tools, you can save a ton on building a prerunner.

02 Ranger

I have a significantly less into mine than you would think. My "long travel kit" is conversion beam brackets to run the Bronco Dana 44 beams, and a simple shock mount for coilovers. Rear suspension is Deavers and triple bypass's. It may be too soon for you to commit on a welder and some fab tools, but I can tell you from experience that with some basic fab tools, you can save a ton on building a prerunner.
Ya i'm pretty sure i'm going to do 99% of the fab and work myself. Unless I buy one done already.

hendersoned

Are you going to be in Laughlin for rage? We need help at qualifying and tech on Friday, get wrist band, get close to the action

lutjanid

Are you going to be in Laughlin for rage? We need help at qualifying and tech on Friday, get wrist band, get close to the action
I would be interested in that. You can contact me here so we could work out details and see if it works: thomhenley97 (at) gmail dot com.