• Forum membership has its advantages....

How to get into short course racing

Olson04

Wondering how to get into short course racing. What is the best class to get into. Also where is the best place to learn how to drive a short course truck. Would love to get into the racing scene but unsure how to start out in it.

450grl

That depends on your budget, really.....the Lucas Oil Regionals are the best way to get started. They have a number of classes geared towards entry level/grass roots type of racers, as well as some great Pro level competition. Cost wise, the UTV classes tend to be considered the easiest on your pocket book since they are production based and don't allow for motor mods, etc. There are some truck classes in the Regionals that also are probably relatively "affordable" in relation to other classes. I always suggest you go to a couple of races and talk to the racers in the classes you are interested in. Practice days are the best for this, or catch them in the gap between qualifying and the main events....

As for learning to drive one? Practice days are good for that, too....so is parking lot with some cones, or any place you can get seat time and get familiar with whatever you are racing.

Mostly, gather as much information as you can....this way you can make a somewhat educated decision if you decide to jump into this amazing sport!

speedfun

A good affordable place to start is the 1600 class .. the rules have been the same from the 70s with some minor motor up grades..
You can find a good used car for around $5000 and have a blast-!! and then see what class to move up to..
You can probably race the car for 2 years and sell it for what you paid for it too..

Wondering how to get into short course racing. What is the best class to get into. Also where is the best place to learn how to drive a short course truck. Would love to get into the racing scene but unsure how to start out in it.
All great advice above ^^^^^^

You didn't say what part of the country you are in. West coast has a couple different options then the midwest. Midwest, Light buggy class is for sure a great start. I'm a buggy guy, so I always go that route first. Out west, mini stock truck class. East, I am not totally sure. There are buggy and truck classes in various racing organizations. Good luck! You will enjoy it!

PDANK Racing

1. Find a local race series. 2. talk to teams and find one you like. 3. Volunteer on their crew and learn. 4. Get a good job 5. Buy a used racecar or build you own. Buying used is generally much cheaper.
Best class to get into: One you can afford with no sponsorship.