How to get sponsored

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
You don't get sponsored for good intentions.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Just a quick question anyone know how to get sponsors to help with your build
We'd all have sponsors if we did!!!

All joking aside, in any sponsorship situation you have to give the sponsor a valid reason to sponsor you and your efforts. It can be anything from showing social media hits to showing an extensive trophy case and history of winning. But just asking nicely won't generally cut it. No one has money to just give away for no reason, everyone want's something for their investment whether that investment is parts or cash they want something in return and if you can't give them something they won't want to help you...

Reaction
Sorry guys stupid question and I am sorry I asked didn't know what I was thinking pretty stupid of me to ask

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Not trying to bash on your or accuse you of being dumb... just trying to give you a basic idea of what sponsors are looking for before they hand out money or products... Find a way to give them good exposure and then present it to them in a good way with proper spelling, grammar and so on while wearing a tie and you might be able to land something...

Sponsorship's happen all the time, but except for the ones that are literally buddy deals, the sponsor needs to see a return on their investment. Find what you can get them and go from there...
Sorry guys stupid question and I am sorry I asked didn't know what I was thinking pretty stupid of me to ask

Josh 8

Reaction
I don’t know this for sure. But it seams to me that “most” {with exception to to Rob Mc.} are only doing the “sponsor” deal to make there race ops look legit to the tax guys.

Meaning the sponsor probably only pay about 10-30% of the costs.

The ups side for the racer is that it makes the racing look ligament for a few years.

It’s all about accounting games when you have a bunch of money.

Remember this. “The ones that get the sponsors, don’t need them...”

And conversely. “The only way to get a sponsor is to not need them”.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Another thing about sponsors that I have learned is that they like to come on board once a program is up and running and has proven itself. At times you can find someone willing to work with you from the ground up, but most don't want to do that.

I rode for a team that had a Hooters sponsorship. The owner of the team got the sponsorship while racing stock cars. He agreed to pay for a giant wrap on the car and keep it on there for a full year for the grand sum of $1. He paid out of pocket to race that first year. After they saw he could get results and good exposure they then kicked in money. In the end, it was still a drop in the bucket at $50k a year to race in Baja. We started on bikes and moved to a Class 1 truggy. They did not see a return on their investment down there and the sponsorship fizzled after 3 years even though we teamed up with a championship winning team one year and got some magazine exposure.

BTW, he framed that $1 check and still has it hanging on the wall in his shop.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
^^^This^^^

Many sponsors want top see you have the dedication to what you are trying to represent before they commit to your program. there are 1000 people a year with a dream in every class. They come and go. You want to get noticed, you invest in yourself, prove yourself and the sponsors will show up to help.

While my team doesnt race, we have been part of the desert racing scene for 20 years. We did it 100% on our dime for most of that time. The last few years, we have been supported by amazing sponsors. In some cases they seeked my team out to support us!

Dont give up on your dream. Dont give up on you!

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
I think Budweiser should sponsor me because they make so much money off of us during the whole racing process. Dreaming about it in high school, trying to do it in college, finally starting to build cars, redoing builds, etc. Lots of garage time, lots of Budweiser.

MTPyle

Reaction
Most sponsors I see on cars are either buddies or the owner of the team business. I know of a few guys that sponsor to get a ride.

You might know of a small business owner that will support your team and put his brand on your vehicle just to get to drive or ride in a race.

Off-road is not a great medium to promote most businesses. So there has to be a good reason to do it.

Mike.

Travisfab

Reaction
A sponsorship is an investment by a company. Show the company how you will provide a return on their investment. Create a proposal, present it to the company, and follow through. Unless you have a proven track record of builds and/or race results, plan on building the entire vehicle and then use sponsors to upgrade.

Fifty

Reaction
Thats the big one travisfab wrote,

If they are going to give you $100 or the equivelant of $100 in gear... will your exposure get them $110 in sales REVENUE. Not just sale, but profit form those sales. So if they make $10 profit per widget, will you help them sell more than 11 of them and quickly?