How to inspect a potential Class 9?

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
Ok, looking to pick up a Class 9 for some NORRA and other grassroots action. My first experience with these. I also live waaaay far away from it so I am having someone I trust go inspect it but he is not a buggie dork either…any thoughts on what one would look at in reviewing a potential class 9 but?

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
The biggest thing on a 9 car is trans, then, engine. You really can't tell what's inside either. I prefer less engine and trans buys because it is so easy to get burned on those parts. Everything else is pretty straight forward. Do the balljoints look new or used? Tires look new or used. Unless you know chassis builders and their individual build types, many, and I mean many 9 car frames get misnamed as to who did the chassis. Grab the top of a front wheel and wrestle it around. That will easily expose any loose/worn parts up front. And I really hate to say it, but DON'T trust anything they say about the trans unless they show you a receipt from yesterday from the builder.

Grease Weed

RDC Crypto
Check for torsion adjusters. Make sure the rear tubes to the torsion housing aren’t flattened. You could also post pictures on here and I’m sure multiple people will chime in.

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
Even if you buy a known winning 9 car from a respectful honest winning racer in the class, pull the trans and motor and have them gone through buy a good builder. The swing axle trans in a 9 car is a very fickle part and cracks A LOT of metal pieces very frequently.

Otherwise, it’s just checking the chassis to see if it’s straight, looking at the parts on the car to see if they are up to date to run up front, and asking how old the fuel cell is. Parts are pretty cheap for a 9 car (except transmission and rear shocks).