How to measure spring rate?

slvrbullet

Reaction
I have some coils on my car that do not have the spring rate on them, and wanted to measure the spring rate. I was thinking of using my hydraulic press and a 400lb rated shipping scale that I could mount to the press. Does this seem relaistic? Any other ways to do this?

51rcr

Reaction
i dont remember but you should be able to look it up. but i thought it was how ever many pounds it take to compress it an inch. i think your plan will work once you find the formula and there not strong springs, scale maybe to small

frozenh2o

Reaction
You can find spring rate calculators online. They work quite well but you need to measure carefully and take notice of how the ends of the springs are made to get the right formula. Wire diameter, spring diameter, and number of active coils is all you need. That said, there is nothing wrong with the method you describe, but you have to be quite accurate in the height measurement of the spring.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I would mount a ruler to your press and some kind of indicator to the spring . But the idea seems solid enough. Hopefully it will be at least accurate enough to ballpark the spring rate. I would think that any spring shop should be able to check them for you . I've put springs in a press before. It's kind of scary. Stand clear.

jon coleman

Reaction
when i would measure road race springs i get it set and seated, pump it to around 200-400lbs, mark, pump one inch, take reading, start at400, then one inch shorter,1200, = 800 lb spring, progressive spring u can get close by coil binding the close windings then proceed as be fore.i was told to start at approximate corner weight,keep track of numbers& lengths to sort out best spring for the job.ps , Be carefull! i had a wayward compressed spring shoot out( wrong press seat) luuckly only had a hundred lbs if that

51rcr

Reaction
when i would measure road race springs i get it set and seated, pump it to around 200-400lbs, mark, pump one inch, take reading, start at400, then one inch shorter,1200, = 800 lb spring, progressive spring u can get close by coil binding the close windings then proceed as be fore.i was told to start at approximate corner weight,keep track of numbers& lengths to sort out best spring for the job.ps , Be carefull! i had a wayward compressed spring shoot out( wrong press seat) luuckly only had a hundred lbs if that
Coil bind sure has blew up in the lots of types of racing.