how to mount crossover steering?

crash4519

Reaction
So here it is, I have 73 F100 with Custom Equal length I beams... The beams were based off of those made for F150's but extended a bit for the width of the F100. I have Two swinger shackles for F150 that seem like they are the right size and fit around the frame properly. .... now comes the hard part..... I don't know how the swingers mount, are they supposed to be in line with each other? how is there placement in relation to where the beam pivots? or where the tie rod attaches? anything anyone could do to help point me in the right direction would be great... my buddy who does know how to do this is flaking out on me and i need to finish this before i loose my mind

THANKS,

~CraSH

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 319

retroblazer

Reaction
What, are you looking for cad drawings and somebody to volunteer to make them? Don't people sell kits for this? How about some pictures of what you have already?

crash4519

Reaction
ha ha no... they are exactly like blitzkrieg's swingers for the F150 I beam.....

http://www.blitzkriegoffroad.com/products.asp?section=frontsuspkits_fordf150_beam

i need some guidance of where to put them in relation to the spindles, the swingers to each other, where the beam pivots... anything? or does it even matter? just want some direction with this to save myself some time.... my buddy mentioned that you don't mount them perpindicular with the frame... that you kick one in towards the cab and the other away...

crash4519

Reaction
but some cad drawings would be nice if you have some :) ha ha ... make sure to save them in 2005 format though ha ha ... you engineer much?

Reaction
Make up some mockup tie rods out of cheap tube and cycle the suspension, looking for tie rod clearance, bump steer and everything else. Tack em on, move em around, until you get something you can live with. There is no short answer, other than that.

On The Edge Fabrication

Reaction
When I set mine up I first mocked everything up with PVC pipe and then did it all out of thin wall tubing and then I did it a third time for real out of .250 wall tubing. So just some trial and error.

You want the beam mount and the upper tie rod mount at the same height and try to match the shape of your beams as far as the shape of the rods themselves. Just cycle everything and turn your steering all the way to both sides at full bump and drop to see what hits and what has good clearance. Trial and error man that's all I can say to a first timer.

Keep in mind you shouldn't be turning all the way while at full drop, but if you are in a tight corner that has some whoops in it, it can happen. My set up is not perfect, but it works without issue and that's all that matters, I have not had any issues after 3 years of racing. I will try to post some pics for you.

One suggestion is to have left and right threads on the connector tie rods so you can adjust the the toe, but make sure when you get it where you want it that you put a good tack weld on the jam nut and even on the heim, believe me you don't want that sucker to unthread. You can do the whole thing with right hand threaded heims, however, its just a little harder to adjust the toe. And always tack the jam nuts. Good luck!!!