How would you rate the 2008 Baja 1000?

How would YOU rate the 2008 Baja 1000!

• Can't wait for next year! No problems!

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Awesome time! Only saw a few issues, but nothing serious

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • Just like any other year!

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Had a pretty good time, but still felt unsafe

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Won't be back next year

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

JoeyD23

Reaction
Now that I think about some f'n a-holes (mexican spectators) at Rm193 jacked my work gloves when I set them down to take some pics...they also stole my $250 Manfrotto tri pod right out of the Chase Truck bed! I saw the guy walkign away with it when I was stabbing fuel and I was like hmm, looks like my tri-pod..turns out it was!....di**s!

I too would have loved to see Andy Mac and the McMillin race team as well as Herbst.........we need to get these guys back to Baja!! People need to start gambling and buying houses again!

JoeyD23

Reaction
dude it was right there in that picture in that truck with the Policia right next to us.....they could have taken our whole cooler, an impact wrench, a tool box, ANYTHING! But they stole my work gloves and tri pod!!!! I do know better, but in the pits??? terrible! But in all if that was all that happened I will gladly take it!!

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
dude it was right there in that picture in that truck with the Policia right next to us.....they could have taken our whole cooler, an impact wrench, a tool box, ANYTHING! But they stole my work gloves and tri pod!!!! I do know better, but in the pits??? terrible! But in all if that was all that happened I will gladly take it!!
Whole trucks have been stolen while next to cops down there. Anything I want to keep goes in the locked cab or is chained down in the bed, even when I cant see anyone for miles. Sucks that it happened to you but gives you an excuse for a nice Gitzo CF.

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
As for me, it all was the perfect reminder about what makes the Baja 1000 so great...

Team Wahoos Class 1 car broke before I had the chance to drive, but the charity run to San Felipe with the Full House Racing guys made it all worth it. Prerunning, awesome. VW's effort, remarkable. Ford's Raptor effort, really remarkable considering the inspiration behind it. Hanging out with Dave Despain gives the race a whole new perspective on just how great the event really is. Seeing Mr. Norman and Mr. Roeseler prove that the win in Primm was no fluke, priceless.

But my favorite parts are still Horsepower Ranch and wathcing the cars at night racing through the Burrego pit or Ojos. That is the real romance of Baja. I can't wait to go back.

Marty

JoeyD23

Reaction
Whole trucks have been stolen while next to cops down there. Anything I want to keep goes in the locked cab or is chained down in the bed, even when I cant see anyone for miles. Sucks that it happened to you but gives you an excuse for a nice Gitzo CF.
mmmmmm...Theres a silver lining!!! LOL BTW I snapped this one of you!!! Get some lover boy!!! LMAO You take some great pictures!

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Paris raised the price of beer 50 cents, other than that no complaints.
Thats to pay for the new Digs almost Vegas like!!!.....LOL

Shaggy

Reaction
I know there may some on here that think the following is unbelievable, but we were surprised too.

We were at Mag 7's Pit 4 at RM 194. We scouted our pit in the evening on Thursday, emptied the trailer, set up and went to bed late that night. The next morning the Federales show up with two trucks. Two of our guys speak Spanish and start talking with the seven of them like a bunch of hens for several hours. One of officers there turns out to be the equivalent to a lieutenant up here.

After a while most of leave, including the LT. Two stay behind and block off an access road to the course. They stay there until Friday evening and then change out with another set of officers.

Now it's about 0200 hours on Saturday and all the locals have left with the exception of 3 or 4, but they're asleep. One of guys goes over to talk with officers that are still there and gets to talking with them. Turns out they were told to stay there to watch over our pit! :eek:Pretty crazy. Anyway they went ahead took off after that.

0700 rolls around and the LT and five officers show up to greet us again and ask how everything went. Great conversation and very positive attitude towards us and the race.

Again, we left shaking our heads, but then again it's great that they extended their hand to help out. We were impressed. A complete error free Baja trip for us.

Mag 7 Pit 4 included myself (Mark aka Shaggy), Lee, Danny, Cliffo, Dave and Paul.:D

Shaggy

Reaction

We had stuff scattered everywhere through our pit with several teams working on stuff. Nothing missing.

Lord Green

Reaction
We were at Borrego from Thursday afternoon until Saturday morning and had no problems. We didn't even have loud Mexican music to dance to.

green787

Reaction
I just haven't seen any statistics on how many entries there were, and how did all of these economic and security issues affect the turn out compared to the 500 entries I saw a few years ago?????????

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
Reaction
it pretty safe out there with alll the soldier mexican ? and with heavy gun hold thier hand ?

elqdeasu

Reaction
We went to contingency all day in Ensenada on Thursday. On race day we drove to RM 86, pitted, then through Mexicali, to RM 220, pitted, and back through Mexicali back home. We had no problems at all. I donated $10 to an officer cause I was driving the wrong way down an alley in Ensenada. But that was my bad so I know I got off easy.

Attachments

nohandslance

Reaction
I'll be surfing at San Juanico next year. let me know if you need any pit support in that area. I got dibs on the guest house!
Lance
Jergensen Racing TT#5

rayrdz

Reaction
we went thru TJ on to Ensenada Walked thru contingency ate a bazillion Fish Tacos drove Hwy3 to San felipe set up a MAG 7 pit at RM345 had a great race NO Problems at all!!!
Great race looking forward to going back.

Attachments

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
X2, I was looking for the Herbst's and the Mcmillins... saw neither.
One of the Herbst brothers was hanging around the finish line waiting for Mark Post to come in. I believe the next stop was Cabo for the weekend.

LukeMcMillin

Reaction
Bump, more votes!!