• Forum membership has its advantages....

HOWE pump problems

Klaus

Administrator
I run a HOWE (Sweet Mfg.) power steering pump for my steering and also the hydro-boost brakes (best invention in the world).
The reservoir is a tall LEE (2qts ??)

The problem is that it starts whining a lot. Whenever it does I open the reservoir and release pressure build up. Then the noise goes away. Should the reservoir be sealed or have a breather ? On stock cars you have a breathing hole.

Please advise. I may also run to high of a level on fluid. So whatever little air is in the reservoir gets compressed quicker.

Or is my pump just bad ? It performs fine.

Dillon

Is the reservoir expensive? :) Drill a hole in the top/side of it, rig a breather hose and put it high in the engine bay somewhere so you are safe if you ever happen to go through water. Or keep the reservoir open and drive around for awhile and see if it helps, thn you'll know that you need a breather of some sort.

frankh

I use Howe on all my buggies and there is an over flow tube so I'm sure that it would vent also. Never have had a problem with the pump other than the belt breaking.

Frank

Klaus

Administrator
well my resevoir is LEE not HOWE.

I'll troubleshoot it by running a hole in it.
I am just wonder what you are suposed to use.

frankh

Well I must have worded that wrong. I don't know what make the resevoir is . but the pump is a howe and the resevoir has a over flow that would act like a vent and mine work fine.

Chris_Wilson

I run the same thing. Howe pump, box and ram. Lee reservoir. Hydroboost (GOT BRAKES?)
Don't over fill the res. Fill it only to the second baffle plate down from the top (cold).
You should not need a vent. I don't have one and run trouble free no matter how hard
we run the dog. Perhaps a different fluid? I've tried both Howe's oil and GM PS fluid
and can't tell a difference but I race with Howe's oil. Another thought, if you don't run
a ram assist maybe you need to. Good luck!