Howe steering ram question.

Sites

Does anyone have a diagram of how to run the lines with a Howe power steering pump and ram with the factory Ford steering box? I have all the lines run in what I thought was the proper way, but when I turn the engine over the ram just automatically pushes the wheels all the way in one direction. The pump is also getting hot when I let it run for 10-15 seconds, which makes me think the fluid isn't making it through the pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

ntsqd

Is this a modified Ford box, or one that originally used a ram for the PS ?

Howe should have marked "IN" and "OUT" on the box fittings if modified. I know Lee Mfg marks theirs.

Sites

This is a factory Ford box, un-modified. Howe gave me 2 pipe thread to AN adapters to use with the box -- one bumped the line up to a -6 AN and the other bumped it up to a -8. By the way, are the Inlet and Outlets on the Ford steering box the same fitting size? If so, I may have swapped them by accident.

ntsqd

I must be missing something here. If the box is un-modified it lacks the second set of ports needed to operate a ram, doesn't it ? You need the spool valve in either the box or on the draglink to proportion the hyd pressure/volume to the ram. The ram can't be paralleled with the box or it will do something like what you are describing.

arizonaE

any update on your steering setup Sites? I have a stock 79 ford f150 steering setup and would like to upgrade.