Hurricane Report from Baja Bush Pilots

PRECEPTS

Reaction
This is a report I received from Baja Bush Pilots;

Mid-Baja has suffered major damage. We are getting “real time” reports from different sources including people on the ground in the damage areas as well as the Mexican Red Cross. It is not good. The reports that we have indicate:

Matancitas (Lopez Mateos) Almost 90% of the structures are down or severely damaged. All water, power, telephone, etc. out
Ciudad Constitucion: Most roofs are gone; sever damage to 70% of the buildings. Power, water, telephones are out

Loreto: All power / telephone are down, lines are down, trees and buildings blocking the streets, airport is closed at this time.

Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There has been reports of loss of life.

Punta Chivato: One person indicates that the wind was over 100 mph before the indicator broke. Damage to almost everything. We should hear about the condition of the strip sometime today

Santa Rosalia: Wall of water came down the canyon and through the town, washed cars, etc. into the ocean.
The Red Cross has been in contact with us today, they are still in the process of determining their needs however, they indicate that they will need our help.

We will be putting out another alert for donations as well as where they are needed. I have taken the position that we will not be bringing things down unless there is a structured means of distributing them. With Hurricane John, I have to estimate that about half of the donations ended up with people that really did not need them.
(end of post)

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
sad news ...

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There has been reports of loss of life.
Wow, that sounds worse than last time. It was about 3' shy of the bottom of the bridge last time and just about wiped out everything along the river.

nohandslance

Reaction
Thanks for the post, As requested last time, I have Aspirin, toothpaste, and Flintstones vitamins, clothes in a size 'small', and various plates and forks and knives. Please let us know the drop off point.

randy s

Reaction
i hope the mexican fishing fleets and all the pleasure craft made it to port. last time was catastrophic for those who didn't make to safe harbors.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
E-mailed my friends in La Ribera this morning.....haven't heard anything back yet.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Wow, initial report doesnt sound good!!!! Please pray for the good people of Baja.

rickf

Reaction
Is there going to be a organized relief effort?
Needs?

Tipracer

Reaction
So sad....been over that bridge a few times and I can only imagine what happend to the town if the water crested the birdge.

M

memin.pinguine

There is some info below,

I neither can get my contacts in Loreto or Mulege. I hear Loreto is out of power for several days and Mulege got hit real hard.

As usual at such situations it needs a day or 2 to get a more accurate situation and evaluation.

I did a loop today and neither CSL nor Todos Santos is much to observe. here in La Paz anyway nada. We got lucky! However there is another system forming out of the Baja tip and the "barely 30% to form a hrricane" can change quiet quickly.... I remember other forecasts to well...

you find a long thread at the Baja nomads forum with pics here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41150 some 40 pages so have fun searching....;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6arOOM7Kg"]YouTube - Jimena Downgraded to a Tropical Storm[/ame]

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE5826A320090903

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...reports-in-wake-of-tropical-storm-jimena.html

Tipracer

Reaction
It takes less than 72hrs and 300 miles for things to from bad to worse....I hope this other one slips quitely into the night...

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Got an e-mail from La Ribera, "they're all
fine and the dorado fishing is crazy!"

Guess the worst was further north.

M

memin.pinguine

Got an e-mail from La Ribera, "they're all
fine and the dorado fishing is crazy!"

Guess the worst was further north.
Yeah, it must been from Loreto up north.
I still have no contact with Mulege + Loreto people

What I get on info is not very good. The local media I question. They wrote also about La Paz damage and bad conditions - there was nada respective no more as at any other rainstorm that happend occassional.

And Todos Santos and Cabo San Lucas / San Jose del Cabo I seen no more yesterday as clean up. Some fishing charters operate already again.

That "thing" out at the Pacific still hangs around with a 30% chance to develop into some bigger system

PRECEPTS

Reaction
More info from Baja Bush Pilots;

The damage reports are still coming in and the damage appears to be worse then previously reported. In mid-Baja, Mex highway 1 has considerable damage and many bridges are destroyed. Transportation by land at this point is impossible. Critical supplies, at this point, must be brought in by air. There is great need for food, water, and clothing.

Mexico has been good to us and it is time for us to return the favor. We will be looking for volunteers to put together a relief effort for this disaster.
Needed are:
--Those that can put together relief supplies and stock them at an airports in the US for pickup. These items could be cloths, bedding, cooking utilities, medical supplies, etc. We will coordinate where these supplies will be stocked.
--Those that can pick up these items and transport them by air to a distribution point in Baja by air. Some costs may be covered by donations provided below.
--Those that wish to donate money to cover some of the costs of transportation. Please email or call in your donation if by credit card, mail your donation to the office if by check.
--Those that can spend a week or more working with the BBP and the Mexican Red Cross transporting Red Cross food supplies. Some fuel will be provided and landing and parking fees will be waived, certain conditions apply. Please call for more information. We will need four or five helicopters and three or four fixed wing aircraft with large carrying capacity. (The BBP will make the determination as to which aircraft will be involved flying Red Cross supplies over an extended period of time)
Everyone that coordinates relief supplies, donates money, and/or flies in this effort will get a certificate of thanks from the Mexican Red Cross.
If you can provide and/or do any of the above, please email the following info to:
Jack@bajabushpilots.com
Your name, your address, your email address, and your cell phone number
And if flying:
The N Number of the aircraft, the make and model, where the aircraft is based
And
What you can provide:
(end of post)

Visit the Baja Bush Pilots Web Site at www.bajabushpilots.com for the full story.

nohandslance

Reaction
Thanks Precepts for the updated post. Info sent. FOB Reno, Nevada USA

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Picture shows incredible view of Hurricane Jimena over Baja, slowing then stalling over Mulege and Santa Rosalia.

ken stroud

Reaction
Just got back from Loreto this morning. We were the first car north to get through. To see in person is much more devistating than any pics. Over 100 large power towers down and over 1000 power poles. No power from San Ignacio to Constitucion. No phone service either. People are working very hard and will probably have road working by today. Sat at the road crossing before San Ignacio friday night. inthe morning over 100 of us continued to put rocks in the crossing as the only tractor was at the crossing a mile away and working slow. I could see all the truck that were going south and couldn't get there.

TyBo1001

Reaction
I have a friend that had a house in Mulege, it was washed away along with most of the home near him. I guess only 2 of the approx 20 homes near him are still standing, and they have major damage. He has pictures that show his lot, with nothing left...