hybrid syspension design for limited shock space

xnoregretsx

Reaction
youll have to excuse my crude drawing its my day off

hydraulickr7.jpg

i was thinking instead of running a larger coilover in the front.. if you used a hydraulic ram instead and had another hydraulic ram in the bedcage connected to a cantilever and then connected to a much longer and bigger diamater coilover with the cantilever ratio 1.5:1.

the hydraulic rams are connected together and one is extended and one is collapsed and the hose is filled with fluid so when the ram on the front a arm is colapsed it pushes on the lever and the shock ...

its probably expensive to do but it could be used to utilize alot more of the shock

that could change long travel suspensions all together
... stock 10" of wheel travel on stock arms could still be able to use every bit of a 16" coilover.

has anything like this ever been built?

ive seen airbag/hydraulic hybrids where an airbag has been placed where the coilover is in my drawing and it works extremely well

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
ok i'm going to take a totally amateurs crack
at this to see just how wrong i can be but...

...unless the hose connecting the two rams is the same diameter as
the rams your going to have a dampening effect on the flow of fluid
thru the hose. i would think that would make it less than desirable
way to transfer the motion to the shock, unless you could make that
effect work in your favor...

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Its been done, to varying degrees of success.

Attachments

• 530959p7080032bv5[1].jpg
    530959p7080032bv5[1].jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 329

Bigger Valves

Reaction
I guess if you want to basically haul around three shocks to do the job of net one then have at it. It seems to be a very awkward and inconvenient way around a simple problem. If you're going to put passive hydro cylinders in your suspension you can do much more interesting things with them than this. :D

xnoregretsx

Reaction
adding an extra 25-35 lbs isnt going to affect the vehicle too much
the whole idea is for limited space on smaller applications.... you could even run a coil over AND a bypass off the same lever and same set of rams
ive seen it work VERY well in other applications.. the hose does dampen a little bit but that just adds new tuning variables into the equation
the front end of a toyota or nissan or super small compact space that doesnt have room for a bumpstop coilover AND bypass
id like to see a front suspension done like that... i think it would be a better idea on say a play/show toy than a race vehicle due to all the moving parts and extra crap you dont really need. 4 coilovers and bypass shocks laying horizontally in the bed of your truck would trip some people out though

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The line losses in 130" hydraulic line would be rediculous...While you are at it install a hyd motor inline to run a generator and eliminate your alternator.

Why would you want to use a 16" coilover on a 10" travel truck? Cooling? run a recirculating reservoir set up that is grande and plumbed into the cooling system just like Kudellas design above.