Hydrate or die...

5racer

Reaction
im150 lbs soaking wet never had heat stroke drank to fast and got a little pukey a couple times but was worth it .weld in a steel building that taps out a 120 deg t-stat and drink very little water all day doesn't seem to bother me like most and i have no idea why but I'm not bitching by any means .at 18 yrs old i insulated attics long sleeves and pants still never got to me . probably drop dead tomorrow but won't be from heat lol.

retroblazer

Reaction
It’s hot, so no need to pretend we’re not affected by it. Smart people get it covered, just like they do their car prep, so might as well put it on the list. Besides, it’s a lot more fun hanging in the dez when you don’t feel like puking.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
liquidaider.com
Guys we are very close to production of a hydration system that operates wirelessly to energize a pump plugged into a standard camelback bladder. The button has no external wires and contains the electronics and battery. The pump contains the electronics connected via a molex to a Li-Ion battery. You push a button and get water squirted into your mouth. Mount the custom button anywhere..handlebars, steering wheel, you name it. Locate your bladder anywhere. You can mate one button to any number of pumps as is useful for team bikes whereby each guy has their own camelback or multiple drivers and co-drivers each with their own bladders or sharing a bladder. You can set a burst duration of 2-4 seconds or use monetary action (push and it squirts as long as you hold the button). At 1 liter/minute 4 seconds is a mouthfull of water. At over 6 billion wireless address combinations, you will never experience crosstalk or interferance.

Hydration while exercising is key to sustained performance. We had class 5, class 11, and UTV teams using it last Baja 1000 and we have offroad moto racers using it but they all have earlier prototype models that are not as good as the new model. We have made significant improvements since we gave out prototypes at the last Baja 1000. We have big name racers (think Erzberg) testing it for us and we have others coming onboard.

I seriously want to get this ready by the next Baja 1000 for all of you. I'll post later when we have units ready for you. In the meantime, as stated here, hydrate many days before you race and after you race. Pedialyte is great.

The website sucks, I admit, but contact me with our team needs if interested and I will create a list and reach out to all of you when we have units. My avatar has the obvious URL. I apologize if this violates any rules - mods can remove this if inappropriate.

ThatSpaceMexican

Reaction
Prep your body before the event. Try drinking a gallon of water everyday (even in normal life) and DO NOT cut out salt from your diet. You need sodium and potassium for your heart to pump blood correctly. the day of the event switch back and forth between a Gatorade and a water. One normal sized bottle of Gatorade and one GALLON of water. Prior to your getting your race on, take some of those little energy gummies or gels. NOT THE SUGAR ONES. Go for like the Gatorade, GU, Clif ones. The have a carbs instead or normal sugar. During hot cross country events our coach would give us one of those. The idea is during endurance events your body will pull from the carbs for energy without having to metabolize an actual meal. Plus you wont vomit either. during the event stick with water ONLY as long as you can. Leave the sports drinks fir recovery.

oh and alcohol will dehydrate you like a mofo

5racer

Reaction
im150 lbs soaking wet never had heat stroke drank to fast and got a little pukey a couple times but was worth it .weld in a steel building that taps out a 120 deg t-stat and drink very little water all day doesn't seem to bother me like most and i have no idea why but I'm not bitching by any means .at 18 yrs old i insulated attics long sleeves and pants still never got to me . probably drop dead tomorrow but won't be from heat lol.
It’s hot, so no need to pretend we’re not affected by it. Smart people get it covered, just like they do their car prep, so might as well put it on the list. Besides, it’s a lot more fun hanging in the dez when you don’t feel like puking.

whos pretending ?
Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Bricoop

Reaction
Dehydration isn't just dangerous, it makes one a worse driver:

"We find that when people are mildly dehydrated they really don't do as well on tasks that require complex processing or on tasks that require a lot of their attention," says Mindy Millard-Stafford, director of the Exercise Physiology Laboratory at Georgia Institute of Technology. She published an analysis of the evidence this month, based on 33 studies.

How long does it take to become mildly dehydrated in the summer heat? Not long at all, studies show, especially when you exercise outdoors.

"If I were hiking at moderate intensity for one hour, I could reach about 1.5 percent to 2 percent dehydration," says Doug Casa, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Connecticut, and CEO of the Korey Stringer Institute.

For an average-size person, 2 percent dehydration equates to sweating out about a liter of water.

Off Your Mental Game? You Could Be Mildly Dehydrated

scottm

Reaction
Website
www.cemaz.com
Three years later and your thread is aging well Dan! In the summer I spend long days working in my shop with just a swamp cooler, sweating heavily the whole time. So I have tried a few different electrolyte drink, and recently discovered this stuff.. It's not really pickle juice, but does taste like it. It's loaded with several kinds of salts - sodium, potassium, calcium, etc. I drink half a bottle in the morning after breakfast plus a quart of water. After lunch i have the other half and another quart. And of course drink water every 20 or 30 minutes all day.

Pickle Juice Original Recipe Sport, 8 oz, 6 Pack 778554214999 | eBay

joshmx88

Reaction
Guys we are very close to production of a hydration system that operates wirelessly to energize a pump plugged into a standard camelback bladder. The button has no external wires and contains the electronics and battery. The pump contains the electronics connected via a molex to a Li-Ion battery. You push a button and get water squirted into your mouth. Mount the custom button anywhere..handlebars, steering wheel, you name it. Locate your bladder anywhere. You can mate one button to any number of pumps as is useful for team bikes whereby each guy has their own camelback or multiple drivers and co-drivers each with their own bladders or sharing a bladder. You can set a burst duration of 2-4 seconds or use monetary action (push and it squirts as long as you hold the button). At 1 liter/minute 4 seconds is a mouthfull of water. At over 6 billion wireless address combinations, you will never experience crosstalk or interferance.

Hydration while exercising is key to sustained performance. We had class 5, class 11, and UTV teams using it last Baja 1000 and we have offroad moto racers using it but they all have earlier prototype models that are not as good as the new model. We have made significant improvements since we gave out prototypes at the last Baja 1000. We have big name racers (think Erzberg) testing it for us and we have others coming onboard.

I seriously want to get this ready by the next Baja 1000 for all of you. I'll post later when we have units ready for you. In the meantime, as stated here, hydrate many days before you race and after you race. Pedialyte is great.

The website sucks, I admit, but contact me with our team needs if interested and I will create a list and reach out to all of you when we have units. My avatar has the obvious URL. I apologize if this violates any rules - mods can remove this if inappropriate.

Hey there!
I am interested in some more info on this drinker set up you have for sale. What is this website you have or other contact info?? Thanks man

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Three years later and your thread is aging well Dan! In the summer I spend long days working in my shop with just a swamp cooler, sweating heavily the whole time. So I have tried a few different electrolyte drink, and recently discovered this stuff.. It's not really pickle juice, but does taste like it. It's loaded with several kinds of salts - sodium, potassium, calcium, etc. I drink half a bottle in the morning after breakfast plus a quart of water. After lunch i have the other half and another quart. And of course drink water every 20 or 30 minutes all day.

Pickle Juice Original Recipe Sport, 8 oz, 6 Pack 778554214999 | eBay

Thanks. It’s kinda scary how the cramps can sneak up on you and how crippling they can be. I am pretty diligent about my time in the heat and being hydrated and I still get screwed up at least once a year. It reminds me to bump this thread.

I take these-
IMG_2047.jpg
IMG_2058.jpg

Ya don’t need a prescription but ya have to go to the pharmacy desk to get them for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 126

Robin Hood

Reaction
Start at 5:00 AM work tell 4:00. Drink lots of water and eat a couple bananas. You get used to it to the point its really not that big of a deal.

jon coleman

Reaction
worked the flight deck cv 62 gulf war one, , inside the straights of hormuz, u want heat??, now That was some sweating, i always volunteered for night check, yes , drink lottsa h20, stay away from too much caffeine& booze, had 2 beer days, was offered 20bucks for mine, aaa, No...

Glen Greer

Reaction
worked the flight deck cv 62 gulf war one, , inside the straights of hormuz, u want heat??, now That was some sweating, i always volunteered for night check, yes , drink lottsa h20, stay away from too much caffeine& booze, had 2 beer days, was offered 20bucks for mine, aaa, No...
One of the toughest job I've ever done is on asphalt paving crew 100 degrees ambient at the pavers screed , asphalt is 280 to 300 degrees , five guys crew drinks 20 gal water with light mixture of Gatorade in 10 hour shift. Everyone on crews wheres long sleeve shirt, pants, wide brim hard hat and good boots. If new guy comes back the second day they usually make it on crew Glen

Walter

Reaction
Website
walternashlaw.com
Check out Hammer Nutrition's site for some good information (click the "Education" tab) and products.

They are big in cycling and running and have been branching into other sports, including motocross.

They have hydration-only products, hydration and energy (w/o the flash and crash of the sugary products) products, and recovery products.

Hammer site: Homepage

jon coleman

Reaction
One of the toughest job I've ever done is on asphalt paving crew 100 degrees ambient at the pavers screed , asphalt is 280 to 300 degrees , five guys crew drinks 20 gal water with light mixture of Gatorade in 10 hour shift. Everyone on crews wheres long sleeve shirt, pants, wide brim hard hat and good boots. If new guy comes back the second day they usually make it on crew Glen
sounds fun, i do little pretend asphalt patches for new water line upgrades, that stuff is a b#!$#!$, but after14-16 hr shift, did u have to hang w crew, eat , sleep, ect, while packed in like rats, for a 120 days straight, while it was 90 deg.at 5 am, then your ' volunteered' for the 300 man un- rep working party, but dont worry, after 20+ hours of that crap your shop lpo gives u next day off, why?,because ships pulling into port and u have 8 hrs of liberty before your 4 hr hangerbay fire watch...& it goes on& ono_O

JDDurfey

Reaction
I am working on a pit crew for V2R. I started hydrating extra today. I am in and out of the Texas heat all day, but I know it isn't as hot as Nevada this time of year. I have not been in that kind of heat for about 10 years so I am slightly concerned and want to be ahead of the ball game.

jon coleman

Reaction
old post, but i used to get ready for heat by driving when practical with heater full blast, middle of summer windows up , throw on a sweater, & breath....., it helped, read up on All the heat exhaustion- stroke warning signs, for yourself& others, when u get to that level of body temp, u get confused, dizzy, stubborn, ' im fine', heat stroke is Serious, dont think that you can ' walk it off' , and you'll get over it, u wont, if you get& survive heat stroke, you can never take the heat& cold again, you cooked your bodys thermostat.be safe, lottsa gator aid!!