Hydration

Stone Crawler

Reaction
With V2R the long way less then a month away, we are starting to look at logistics regarding food, and drinks for a small army over the course of a week. In doing so the topic of hydration came up. When its a day of racing I don't get too concerned, we just make sure everyone is drinking water the night before and send them on their way with a case or two of water on race day.

Now we are looking at 5 days together in the heat of Nevada.

What insight are you willing to share regarding the proper hydration of the entire team?

I am concerned that we won't be able to carry enough water, and even if we do, the guys won't drink enough.

What kinds of food do you prepare to maintain enough sodium?

What methods to you use to keep the drivers/team plenty hydrated?

Any thoughts or idea's on menu?

Anything you guys are willing to share would be great.

Not a big fan of salt tablets, but are there other supplements that should be considered?

Jeff Knoll

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
I have heard a couple good rules of thumb here on RDC from those that work in the heat....

If you are peeing yellow you havent drunk enough water.

If you wait till you are thirsty its too late to catch up.

Beer and soda = dehdration

for food perhaps this will work... http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66046

If you need a traveling water depot for the team the Bilstein trailer is available. Drop water with me at contingency and pick up what you need for the team each night at "camp adventure".

J Prich

Reaction
Pretty sure the military folks could help you out! No easy way around it, you've just to go keep guzzling. The low humidity helps keep some moisture in but you need a good 8oz an hour + to stay good.

A good way to fight the urge to stop drinking water is sunflower seeds. Beats tablests in my opinion. Stock up on a few big bags. It'll help you get over the hump to keep drinking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that water/liquid isn't the only source of hydration. If you can pack so apples, etc, fruit is a great source of a little extra hydration plus the other good stuff to keep you going. Just a few ideas to consider.

Stone Crawler

Reaction
Joel I might take you up on that. Thanks as always Joel, Flogging the car this weekend, we'll see how the pixie dust you sprinkled works.;)

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Soda is fine as a Hydrator, provided you're not just drinking soda.

Ryno

Reaction
Pedia-Lite, Gatorade, anything with Electrolytes. Working in the low desert the past year has taught me alot. Fruit..honeydew, cataloupe, apples, bananas, watermelon. Keep the meals down in size, eat more of them.

usmcgunrock

Reaction
Pedia-Lite is a good thing if you are hurting. It will get you hydrated in a hurry. You don't want to drink Gatorade or something like that only. Maybe one or two a day. Sunflower seeds help get salt into you so that you retain water and avoid heat cramps. Best rule of thumb is always be sipping water. You can live and be active in 130 degree weather as long as you keep drinking water. The asphalt would melt on us but we would still be out there on foot patrol with full gear on just wired seeing your foot prints embedded in the street.

When I go out on foot patrol/mission in hot climate I carry a 2 qt camel pack and two 1 qt canteens of plain water along with a bag of sunflower seeds. And that only last about 5 hours. When we are vehicle mounted then we would carry 3 of the 1 qt water cases in are truck. And that would last us about 1 to 2 days depending on how active we are. Then again we are wearing an excessive amount of gear.

The biggest rule of thumb is making sure you piss clear or close to it. But if it is real hot and you are real active you will never piss clear. So the best way is to make sure you keep sweating. If you seem to be sweating less then you need to pick up the water intake. If you stop sweating completely you need to stop and drink water you are in trouble. So the piss thing is good when you are sitting somewhere or traveling and the sweat thing is good when you are in the pit working.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Oh and STAY AWAY FROM ENERGY DRINKS OR ANY KIND OF HEAVY CAFFEINE. I have seen my share of Marines go down hard because of this. If it gets over 80 degrees we ban any caffeine at all to include soda.

maxyedor

Reaction
If you are an otherwise healthy person, no sense in starting with crazy gels and goops to try and stay hydrated. Find a flavor of gatoraid you like and drink lots of it, and even more water. Pedialite, Gu, recovery drinks and all that junk usually tastes roughly like old socks and as such you won't be inclined to drink as much as you should, that stuff is great once you're already dehydrated, but before then, stick with whatever will make you want to drink. Used to find guys all the time DNFed between races when I raced mountain bikes because their high-dollar, engineered, endorsed by Lance super-drinks tasted like hell and they'd barely drink any after a good long ride they were hurting, I always stuck with water, for long races I'd run a camel-bak full of ice-water with a couple lemons squeezed in, and a couple frozen bottles. The lemon adds no nutrition, but tastes good and makes me want to drink more.

racer56

Reaction
All I can say is Red Bull & Vodka. :)

Smooths out those peaks and valley's and keeps you on an even keel.

MattV

Reaction
Make sure to "pre-hydrate". Drink extra water at night, when you are less likely to be profusely sweating, or other times, when you may have the opportunity to not exert yourself so much. Avoid anything with caffeine and alcohol, both are diuretics and will dry you out. Based on my personal experience, I would also avoid distilled, RO, or purified water. These can and will actually strip electrolytes and minerals from your body.

GunRock made a great point about there being times when you can't keep up with the rate your losing water. This makes being well hydrated ahead of time that much more important. Watch yourself, and those around you for signs of dehydration and heat injury. Appoint someone in your group to remind everyone to drink water periodically. It's easy to forget when you're wrapped up in the mission.

If you're out in the open were loose fitting, light colored, long sleeved shirts and pants and a good hat. Keeping the direct sun off your skin is huge. Look at Gunrock's avatar. His sleeves are down for many reasons, not the least of which is preventing himself from being cooked. Don't forget sunscreen on exposed skin. Sunburn WILL dehydrate you and contribute to the onset of heat injury.

fordnut

Reaction
Get a paramedic to join your team and tell him/her to bring lots of I.V. setups.:D

scottm

Reaction
All good advice, but just don't use a Camelback - they donate money to groups trying to end offroading. Get a Hydropack..

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
WATER WATER WATER If you are not taking a leak AT LEAST every 2 hours or its yellow or god forbid brown You are not getting anywhere near enough water. BTW if you are drinking water and sweating your fine if you stop sweating drink more just as long as your urine is clear when you do go pee. In 90 degree heat a person that weighs 170 NEEDS AT LEAST 1 quart an hour PERIOD. Now IF you were at the bar last night you will more than likely need twice that until your system can purge out the toxins.

scottm

Reaction

M.Harvey1600

Reaction

Chase 2

Reaction
If you are an otherwise healthy person, no sense in starting with crazy gels and goops to try and stay hydrated.
Gels and "Gu" are not are not supposed to hydrate, in fact you are supposed to wash them down with lots of water. Gels and "gu" are for caloric intake only and in hot climates are a great low volume way to get high calories without bloating which will cause a decreased fluid intake resulting in dehydration.

I am in total awe of our troops who have to suffer through the heat on patrol, you guys are indeed heroes.