Hydraulic steering questions

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Has anyone used hydraulic steering in a smaller truck like a Toyota or Ranger with A-arms? If so, what is needed and what would it cost.

Pics would help also.

the reason I am asking is because when I built my 17" travel front suspension in my race truck I had to shorten the pitman arm on the steering box. And to make up for it I had to get a Howe 2 to 1 quickener for the steering shaft. Even with that and the power steering its still a little harder to steer than it was before shortening the pitman arm. I remember talking to someone about 2 or 3 years ago about steering boxes and they had a hydraulic ram steering setup that they said would work great. I just forget who I talked to and what the price was.
I might want to do this on my prerunner that I will be building soon because the suspension will be similar in design as my race truck. If not the exact same suspension from my race truck. I am also wondering how it would fit in the subframe for the lower arms.

jeff

Reaction
Full hydraulic or hydraulic assist? A bunch of my Jeep buddies run hydraulic assist and they love it. Full hydro is just too dangerous because with no mechanical link to the wheels a loss of hydraulic pressure means ZERO ability to turn.

You might want to try PBB and ask this in their Toyota section... a lot of the rock crawler crowd run these systems and I think you'd find more experienced answers than on RDC for this type of question.

Aloha

PS = PBB is Pirates Bulletin Board @ <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com>www.pirate4x4.com</A>

mobben

Reaction
we have the Howe ram assist set up on one of our trucks and it works great. the ram doesn't take up anymore room than a steering stabalizer. you loose alittle feel but once you get used to it you won't ever want anything else. no more having to muscle the truck into berms. you just point it and it goes. oh the truck is a toyota extra-cab.

ntsqd

Reaction
One reason the krawlers run a ram assist system is that it takes some of the load off of the steering box. Not a bad thing to do.
All of the names in steering boxes have at least one such system. I'm preferential to Tom Lee of Lee Mfg in SFV.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

farmboy

Reaction
this site has all the info to do the modifications to a toyota steering box yourself, these guys did it to a straight axle but it wouldn't be much differnt. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wildyoats.com/hydraulic_assist_tech.htm>http://www.wildyoats.com/hydraulic_assist_tech.htm</A>

Boy, Farm

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
It woudl be hydro assist.

I think what I would like to see if I could do is use a different kind of steering box than the stock Toyota one in the stock location. Because I might try to build upper J arms and the stock steering box is in the way.