hydro boost in a race car?

giannini

Reaction
Has anyone used a hydro boost unit in a TT or class 1? I would think having power brakes in a big fast car would be a benefit. Especially in long races where you are on and off the brakes all day long. If you guys have dealt with this setup please let me know if it is worth while or not.

Reaction
Has anyone used a hydro boost unit in a TT or class 1? I would think having power brakes in a big fast car would be a benefit. Especially in long races where you are on and off the brakes all day long. If you guys have dealt with this setup please let me know if it is worth while or not.
I raced two seperate Class 8 trucks, both Fords with winning records, that ran GM Hydroboost systems. One had a seperate P/S Pump for the Hydroboost the other shared with the steering. They both worked great. Just make sure the start button is always close at hand - but that is another story.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
They can definitely work, but they do tend to transfer panic straight to the wheels with no loss of signal strength. These units really could use some standardized speed (and flow ;)) modifications that would bring them more in line for racing.

giannini

Reaction
Awesome guys. thanks for the input. Would I need a higher psi power steering pump to run the hydro boost? Or does that not make a difference. The pump I'm using now is 1,450 psi.

Sparky

Reaction
The company that I got my setup from told me to use a stock output pump, so that is what I did. I actually used a pump from a late 90's GM 2500 diesel application because it has 2 return lines built into the tank.