• Forum membership has its advantages....

I am wondEring about the sport....

Klaus

Administrator
With the talk in the big boys forum about Teslas truck I am wondering...

Why is there not a PRO4 and PRO2 and Lite electric class yet ?

The sponsor/investor Traxxas sells them in desktop scale all day long as electric vehicles. And the last time I checked the electric ones outperform their gas power counter parts. Instead they model 1:10 electric toys based on gas powered 1:1 scale toys. While the other guy is a oil company and perhaps I just answered my own question before I hit post.

The fans in the audience could actually listen to the announcers. Greaves and co would talk about wire cage and Kilo Watts per hour at the finish line still pretend drinking a Monster. Tire choice and sponsorships still apply. Crandon would see new track records. Electric battery fires could be the new excitement.

Even Ford announced that their number one selling product the F150 will go the E route and their all around town vehicle the Mustang has a Mustang Mach-E version now.

I don't read all the content of short course racing so perhaps it's an already hashed out topic and in that case ignore my curiosity and move on.

jon coleman

ev battery fires are more like explosions, bird scooters battery fire conflagration are scary, i was shown what happens on another person s i phone, ( didnt know who it was), what happens when battery pack perforated by a .308 'drill bit', but mileage issue wont be an excuse for ev short course car, just have to protect the batterys

jon coleman

my question on an ev short course car is what configuration?? buggy, truck, awd? what would be cheapest, yet put on the best show??

lithium batteries are extremely delicate. yes, they are in every phone and such, but still very fragile and explosive when oxygen gets to the lithium.

you would have to change nearly everything. engine weight and battery pack distribution, and the guys who build the current trucks knows what works with gas motors, not EV stuff.

maybe eventually, its way too early.

BlueCoyote

Could see an electric SR1 or single buggy being a thing. There was an electric 1600 buggy that ran Baja last year- seems like the technology is available. The King of the Kastle UTV 100 Desert race in OR next year has a hybrid/ electric class.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
Ive often wondered the same, ive spent thousands on traxxas stuff for the kids over the years and those trucks take a pounding all day long
Years ago i was laying up some box sides in the shop (gross job)and my 5 year old said to me why dont real race trucks have one peice unbreakable bodys like the RCs daddy??

sb4pro

LiPo batteries arent as safe as the rc industry would have you believe . They do and will catch fire if not properly used . Im probably one of the few guys in my rc trailing group that still uses nimh batteries . I had a LiPo blow up on me and I haven’t used them since .

dbq61537

With the talk in the big boys forum about Teslas truck I am wondering...

Why is there not a PRO4 and PRO2 and Lite electric class yet ?

The sponsor/investor Traxxas sells them in desktop scale all day long as electric vehicles. And the last time I checked the electric ones outperform their gas power counter parts. Instead they model 1:10 electric toys based on gas powered 1:1 scale toys. While the other guy is a oil company and perhaps I just answered my own question before I hit post.

The fans in the audience could actually listen to the announcers. Greaves and co would talk about wire cage and Kilo Watts per hour at the finish line still pretend drinking a Monster. Tire choice and sponsorships still apply. Crandon would see new track records. Electric battery fires could be the new excitement.

Even Ford announced that their number one selling product the F150 will go the E route and their all around town vehicle the Mustang has a Mustang Mach-E version now.

I don't read all the content of short course racing so perhaps it's an already hashed out topic and in that case ignore my curiosity and move on.
It’s happening in Europe right now...search...

ExtremeE off-road racing. If I’m right...they kick off, next year. And, I believe...it’s an invitation only series, at least for the first year.

stephenrjking

1. Electric vehicles are pricey. They are coming on in a big way in race series where there is already a considerable amount of money involved. Short course racing is many things, but overflowing with cash is not one of them.

2. The reason so many race series are going electric is that because they perceive (correctly, it seems) that manufacturers upon whom they depend to supply cash and vehicles to the series want to involved with hybrid and electric racing. When Indycar made the announcement it was said by media types intertwined with the series that there were at least a couple of manufacturers who could be interested in getting involved in the series but would not do so unless hybrid tech was involved. It's not that they want to *build* the hybrids (the systems are universal in most series, including F1, Indycar, and even Formula E), just that it's good to be known to be *involved* with hybrids--a push from the marketing department rather than the engineering department, if you will.

Thus, the problem is that, with so many series going electric, you're left with the same problem the format already has; there are better options for manufacturers who want to be involved in motor racing to be involved in. If hybrids were demanded and nobody was offering them, it could be possible for short course to find a niche that manufacturers wanted. But manufacturers have a dozen options for electric vehicles now, and NASCAR might be close behind. By the time a hybrid or electric short course formula were to be developed, the market would be saturated, and nobody would want to bother.

3. I want short course to grow, but first it has to survive in a healthy fashion, and that means buttressing its core fans. I speak only for myself, but I know this ticket-buying fan likes the noise of internal combustion engines. No sport provides a better auditory experience than motor racing, and if that goes away, it will be a sad thing.

ltr450rider

I don't get the same chubby from hearing an electric motor compared to a good old fashioned internal combustion piston driven engine screaming at 8000-9000 RPM.

Klaus

Administrator
I don't get the same chubby from hearing an electric motor compared to a good old fashioned internal combustion piston driven engine screaming at 8000-9000 RPM.
I agree. Nothing like a V8 screaming north of 6k. Even though its just my perception/software in my head...

michael.gonzalez

Very good point there. And with short-course being well... short, the range isn't much of an issue. This seems like an other another great way for EV to reach the off-road world.

wheeli

Funny Guy from the North, eh
like most everything we are forced to accept change and going to a race thats not loud with the smell of fuel will likely be in our future..........it will have to come down to good hard racing

jon coleman

sneaky racing too, in current gas powered road racing , you can feel& hear where the guy behind you is, ev is gonna make mirrors evan More important, if your day dreamn', racer can just sneek past you, shhhhh, quietly...🤫

51rcr

but sound gets in peoples heads. Ya know the over rev or rev limiter of a dirt bike in a corner when behind someone. Also a little bump or tap. But quite is another game also

BajaFand

Does anyone really expect fans to show up without the major component of the entertainment factor which is the sound your hear and the rumble in your chest from all around the track? You may see them going fast but all you’ll hear is dirt and rubber making friction.

I raced 1/10 and 1/8 scale RC for a few years. My interest in electric racing stops at 1/10 scale. I started in 1/8 scale with an electric buggy but fell in love with nitro and got rid of the E buggy and never looked back. So much more fun to drive and more skill involved as well to stay fast and keep momentum around the track. Anybody with an E buggy can crawl up to the base of the jump and punch the throttle and over clear it by 10ft. Not to mention the electric motors/speed controls are just as expensive or more than nitro ($350-500) and the battery packs are $150 each, they last 15-20min. 1 gallon of nitro cost $30 and you can run on that gallon all weekend long and drive for an until your hands go numb if you have a buddy to fuel you.

That being said I can’t imagine the cost of motor/speed control/lipo that could be equivalent to a Pro 2, let alone the danger of a wreck or even to service that system or change batteries.