• Forum membership has its advantages....

I-BEAM/ Coil-over ??

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Okay, I learned something very interesting last night. And now I am wondering if anyone of the experts out there can guess what it was...

Okay this is my problem. I have had major sag in the front of my ranger since I first installed coil-overs. I am running stock beams, stock steering and am get 15" of travel. First time out everthing was fine. Second time out the front dropped about an inch. Third time out everything was fine.. And then last time out I only went about 2 miles and the front end was sagged out and had major neg. camber.... Okay do you know what is going on? I will give you one clue: it is not the springs.

No Austin you can't answer since you were there with me when I figured it out.

Tony

vwguy

im willing to bet it isnt a shock problem
to me it almost sounds liek your drop brackets may have given considering they arent the best for off road use

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by vwguy on 10/19/01 08:35 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

No the beams are not bent. I know it sounds crazy but I have drop brackets still on it from the coil lift. Bucket? The only thing I know of that is called a bucket is the coil bucket which has been removed so the installation of the coil over was possible. It also has extended radius arms. I don't think that would realy matter though..

Tony

Donahoe

You have a alignment problem... tow probably...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Donahoe

I beams are goofy that way....I have a question for you Tony.... do you ever get death wobbles in that truck?? Like the front end starts to shimmy at a certian speed? I have two trucks in my stabels that do that and I still to this day cant figure out why. And we changed everthing and aligned it and changed tires and rotated them... New steering, new steering box... checked all the crossmembers in the frame... everything and the thing is still pissed off... go figure... I-beams are goofy sometimes...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

rdc

Yeah beams can work great and be very forgiving of things not being exact. But they can also have adverse reactions to things being wrong. As for the speed wobbles, yup I have had them a couple of times. I have had this due to the beam piviots coming loose. Red loctie has cured that! The only I can think of Kreg is check to make sure the caster is the same on both sides. I have heard that if you have in way off from side to side it can act real wierd.. But I am sure you have checked that.

Tony

Donahoe

Yeah i have..... Its ganna be something wired like rear bumper bolts.... P.s. I have your cross member and I will bring it to the clean up for you...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Greg

Tony, that steering setup will drive you nuts. Check to see if the main tie rod is bending, the worse it gets the worse it gets. Since I did the x-over steering I haven't had any problems with alignment, and when it does go out slightly, it dosen't compound itself. It could also be crappy coils, my first set sagged a lot, the second set...no problems.

Greg

rdc

Could be them bumper bolts... They will get you everytime! LOL Cool thanks for doing that for me Kreg.
You and the entire Donahoe crew rock! See you at the clean up...

Tony

rdc

Yeah, Greg I really need to do my steering like yours. I know its all about the toe. If it is toed out then it drops the front end if its toed in then the front rises. And yes it is the long drag link that is bending, actually it is the fact that the bend in it is coming out and therefore getting longer.

Tony

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Tigger

Have you checked your engine cage...maybe it's bent?

How does the toe effect ride height?

and since the bumper bolts are being checked you might as well check the muffler bearings and the chickalator valve!

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

rdc

Well my best guess is has to do with the bumper steer that ford did such a fine job of engineering into there trucks.. No nothing is bent, trust me I would know since the engine cage already hits the bottom of the hood. When I hit hard and the hood ends up a few inches higher then I will know, BENT IT!!!. Hey Kris your going to the clean up right? Stop by and say hi. I will be the one selling raffle ticks....

Tony

Jerry Zaiden

Kreg, does it have a drop pitman arm on it? If it does take it off and see what happens.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I will def. be getting some tickets.

See you there.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!