I beam F-150 front end set up?

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I have Camburgs custom coilbuckets and some home made wide beams that run a 10" SAW Im going to remove the bucket turn the shock into a coil carrier and mount it off the radius arm due to its short shaft length then use a bypass off the I-beam, my question is I heard I can only use a 12" bypass or the 2 shocks wont work well together? with a 12" bypass Im only looking at like 14" of travel I would like to use a 14" or maybe a 16" if my bump steer doesnt get too crazy! and try and pull around 18-20" has anyone else heard of this or can they shed some more light on the subject? Thanks...Mike

motoxscott

Reaction
I talked to Kevin at H&M about shocks and he said if you're not gonna use the factory brake booster/master cylinder to run a 18" bypass and a 16" coilover. If you're keeping the factory brakes to use a 16" bypass and a 16" coilover. This is with building a full engine cage. Thats with running their beams and swingset steering.

-Scott

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Scott,
you see what Im talking about everyone is running the bypass 2" longer than the carrier?..Mike

singlehanded

Reaction
thats what sucks about upgrading. maybe sellthem and buy some coilcarriers they are cheap and get bypass also the right sizes

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Im going to pull the beams off this weekend to plate them in before I remove them I guess I will cycle it with a 12",14",16" mock up and see what it pulls for travel, I want to keep the 10" SAW cuz its already paid for and SAW just had a price increase!....Mike

motoxscott

Reaction
They are mounting the bypass at the end of the beam and radius arm where it moves the most. The coilover is mounted further in on the radius arm so it doesnt move as much because it's closer to the pivot point so you use a smaller travel shock. Think of it like a rear link.

-Scott

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I know how that setup works scott but Jason wants me to run it the same way as the race truck but with my 10" travel if I can position the 10" carrier to stroke as much travel as a 14" bypass mounted off the beam then whats the big deal? I know there will be more stress on the carrier because of the ratio but nothing that bigger spring rates cant change! other than that I see no problem? I guess I need to talk to Jason more about it...Mike

motoxscott

Reaction
My bad mike,

The only thing I would be concerned about would be having the coilover mounted so far back on the radius arm. It will put a lot of leverage on the radius arm and rear radius arm mount. I would say the strongest part of the radius arm is in the front where it meets the beam, but you could always strengthen the rear to take on the additional load.

Cycle it and see where you would place it. I'm sure Jason will help you figure it out.

-Scott

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Im kinda over it I think Im going to pick up some used 12" stroke and use those and then run a 14" bypass Steve's coilovers are 14" and it will get 20" but we limited it to 18.5" thats enought to get me in trouble
....Mike

DESERTTOOL

Reaction
Mike, Listen UP. You can run the shocks you have and get the travel you want, but you must know that the farther away from the wheel, the more travel you’ll get AND the higher spring rate you will need. Now, you can build the strength into the radius arm to handle the loads and that’s what you'll have to do to run those SAW's. BEWARE there is a lot more to just relocating those shocks to get everything to work right.