I Beam Goemetry

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
Lubbock, Texas. The southern part of the texas Pan
Website
none
I have two different ideas to reduce or eliminate caster (yes I said caster) change in my I beam Ford. Neither would be easy. 1 is to move the radius arm pivots in. This would make the radius arm I beam combo act more like an arm. I think one of the guys on this board did that to his ranger. The other is to replace the radius arm with upper and lower arms. I think I saw a setup like this on an old beam buggy in a picture. Is it worth the effort or does the caster change have enough effect on handling to make it worth it?

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.

drtdevil93

Reaction
it helps with that, and also how ibeam trucks pull the tires rearwards as they droop. ive been toying with the idea of having the beams and radius arms how you mentioned ("4linked"). then you could make a decent camber and caster curve, and youd reduce tire scrub. could be interesting.

erik

ntsqd

Reaction
I've toyed with using the beam for main support, but putting the BJ's/SB's in a part that could swivel and using a secondary, light weight control rod to generate the camber curve I want.

The castor gain of a beam in bump is favorable, it's only in droop where I see problems.

I thinkk by the time you combine both ideas you'll have a really large SLA system, may as well start out with that in mind.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.