"I" beam Tundra more info please

charlie_brown

Reaction
O.K. i saw this truck briefly at a truck show. i got there late and he had to leave early. i was trying to take some pict. as he was driving away. i would like some more info and pict of it if anyone has any. the guy told me they just built it and only have had it out 1 time so far. they are racing some selected BITD and SCORE races this year. its not every month you see a rear steer spindle "I" beam 4 link front set up.

Attachments

ZTFab

Reaction
That truck was built by Mark Johnson for Jon Lee.

It's very well built.

ZTFab

Reaction
I know Jon and Mark and can probably get some info for you.

AFAIK...it's a 1st gen tundra with a 4.7 V8, 3 seater, full factory dash with GPS, race radio, working A/C, working power windows, compliment of spare parts, travel #s in/near the 20's.

Well thought out and functional. His "shakedown" run was a couple of full days of driving from CA up and around Nevada and back without a single issue. I think I remember his saying somewhere round 1000 miles.

Jon has already bought a supercharger for the motor and will be putting that on shortly.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
I don't get the box down the middle. Extra fuel?

Havasubud

Reaction
Does anyone know how to get a hold of them for info on the build of this truck? This is what I am looking for. I have a 2003 Tundra Acess Cab that I will use as a donor truck. I want to keep the interior stock except for the seats. I want to either put 1 or two seats in the back. If I could get four seats in it, that would be great. I am looking at either building my own truck, with the help of a fabricator of course, or buying a four seater a-arm prerunner. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

ZTFab

Reaction
I've been really busy so I haven't had a chance to call Jon, the owner.

I will call him this week and see if he can email me some more pics and info for you guys.

ZTFab

Reaction
OK. I sent Jon an email asking for some specs of his truck to post for you guys. Here is what he sent me:

Hi Paul,

Mark Johnson built my last pre runner 22 years ago. Another friend wanted to buy it from me, it’s the only vehicle I’ve regretted selling.

I asked Mark to build me a new one. As I used to work for Toyota I wanted it to retain the “stock interior” and “stock look” with all the factory equipment operational. To get 20 inches of reliable travel in the front I chose Ford I beams. It had to be practical for pre running, chasing and exploring the desert with my wife and to have as many parts as possible homogeneous with the Class 1 cars we’re involved with, such as; VW pattern bead lock wheels, tires, shocks, heim joints, master cylinders, calipers, rotors and disc pads.

Some specs:

2004 Tundra 3 seat built by Mark Johnson of Metal Tech Engineering, Riverside, CA 951-965-0055

Full power interior

A/C with dust filter for the cab

33 gal fuel cell with operational factory fuel gauge and low fuel light

Built in tool boxes

Hy Lift jack, Spare drive line , drag links & tie rod under a protective cover

External 220 amp 12v plug for jumper cables, winch, ect.

Nitrogen bottle w/ 250 psi regulator

2 – 5 gallon water jugs

All California smog equipment

20 inches front travel on Ford I beams, duel radius arms with rear steer spindles

23 inches rear travel with Cone floater 9 inch, 40 spine SS axles, spool w/ 4:88 gears

Front and rear hubs machined to fit Class 1 (VW) wheels

BTR bead lock wheels

BFG 35” Projects

By pass Fox’s with bumps all corners

PCI 110 watt Race Radio & Intercom, 3 headsets, external race radio speaker

Kenwood 600 watt stereo system with Navigation, CD, XM, DVD, GPS

Soft Ice chest

Tablet computer

And of course….Cup holders

This is a link to my friends Exploration Vehicle web site with some pictures of the Tundra he took and wanted to post. (His world travel vehicle was built at my shop, by Mark Johnson).

More Pics

Jon'sTundra1.JPG

Jon'sTundra2.JPG

Jon'sTundra3.JPG

Jon'sTundra4.JPG

Jon'sTundra5.JPG

Jon'sTundra6.JPG

Jon'sTundra7.JPG

Jon'sTundra8.JPG

charlie_brown

Reaction
thanks paul. do you have any more? will it be out at the mdr night race this week end?

5.3Ranger

Reaction
That's truck is sick! Nice work guys. Very nice to see something different & to see someone build exactly what they want & not what everyone else has..

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Hhmmnnn VW lug pattern, not sure yet if I like that. But the truck is pretty darn spectacular!

ZTFab

Reaction
Hhmmnnn VW lug pattern, not sure yet if I like that. But the truck is pretty darn spectacular!
He did that so the wheels would interchange with the Class 1 car that races with.

Scott_F

Reaction
My favorite part is how he did the upper rear shock mounts. He used two simple tubes instead of a huge overbuilt sheet metal mess like most trucks.