I got my 2.4 Ecotec from Turnkey

DeanB

Reaction
We are putting a 2.4 Ecotec in our class 12 car. The dyno sheets showed about 190hp and 180tq on pump gas.:D I know we don't fit in any class but this was the car we had and the motor we wanted. Racing is expensive and this should help the cost of prep and fuel.

I hope that others will consider this motor in thier 10 or 12 cars and maybe someday even have a class. (I know its a long shot.)

Next time your ready to send in your motor for that 10g to 20g rebuild, maybe you can consider this 5,500$ alternative.

ScottWisdom

Reaction
Keep us posted on how it turns out. We toyed with the idea of putting a 2.2 Ecotec in our 12 car so that we could run the new SCORE Class 4.

CLASS 4 / UNLIMITED 2.2-LITER OPEN WHEEL
DEFINITION - Unlimited 4 wheel, single or two seat vehicles. Limited 2.2-liter sealed engine

craigincali

Reaction
You are NOT class 4 legal, it is a 2.2 ecotec class. Congrats on the motor! I say run sportsman or just say "screw it" and run class 1.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
This MECO owned by Kevin Ellis has a 2.4 ecotec. I raced it at the MORE freedom 250 and was a blast.. I can't compare to any other 12 car though as I've never driven one..

Attachments

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I spoke with Casey about this (allowing 2.4L Ecotecs in Class 10 or 1000) about three months ago. He said he was interested, because it wouldn't create any new classes...which is something he doesn't want to do. He gave me the pitch on class 3000, but agreed that over a complete season, an Ecotec might be competitive due to reliability. He also said that Class 10 needed something to build entries. If others like the idea call Casey.

bajatex

Reaction
I agree, I think Score & BITD should consider this as an option for class 10.

racer56

Reaction
2.2 & 2.4 Ecotec's should be allowed in class 10, as long as they are sealed stock engines.

racer56

Reaction
Aren't hondas more HP? Why would you enter a race in a class with an underpowered engine?
Honda's do make more horsepower, that's why Ecotec's should be allowed. More cars in class ten will only help the payback for the winners.

xterra

Reaction
I think it's the other way around. BITD, MORE and the other organizations should open wheelbase etc just the way SCORE did, then all the 10 cars could switch engine and race in class 3 or 4. What we need is homologation of rules between organizations on the ecotec class.

DeanB

Reaction
Aren't hondas more HP? Why would you enter a race in a class with an underpowered engine?
We got no expenses spared honda done by WIKS. It had 210HP and only around 100tq±. You have to look at more than just HP.

craigincali

Reaction
I think its a terrible idea to change class 10. If you want a more affordable class then buy a car that is legal in another "afforedable" class. Why should BITD, SNORE, ETC change classes for YOU? If you cant afford class 10 then dont build a class 10 spec car. (This isnt directed at any individual or team) It just kills me when people build a car then insist a class be created for them.

I am building a car for SCORE Class 4 (I cant afford class 10 at all or all the engine rebuilds needed in class 12). However, I dont intend to race SCORE. I will probably race it in sportsman somewhere or class 12 at MDR. Im not gonna go to SNORE or BITD and beg them to make a class for me.

Rumor has it BITD is considering a ecotec class that is open to anything as long as it has a sealed ecotec in it. I dont know how true this is and I dont know if they are considering a 2.2 or 2.4.

Hollowpoint

Reaction
BITD made a controversial change for 7200 and look at their entry numbers. I think it's time for them to lead the way with common sense again. It will be an awkward transition and there will be complaints. However, by 2011 we'll be looking at bigger entry numbers, smaller(slightly) prep bills, ecotec cars with standard wheelbases, smiles on racers' faces, and never look back.

Just for one moment, take a hard look at class 10: they break top 10 overalls. It's such a fast class but it's also been called "the worst bang for your buck". Ecotecs will never be as fast as built b16s, but the good outweighs the bad by far.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I think its a terrible idea to change class 10. If you want a more affordable class then buy a car that is legal in another "afforedable" class. Why should BITD, SNORE, ETC change classes for YOU? If you cant afford class 10 then dont build a class 10 spec car. (This isnt directed at any individual or team) It just kills me when people build a car then insist a class be created for them.

I am building a car for SCORE Class 4 (I cant afford class 10 at all or all the engine rebuilds needed in class 12). However, I dont intend to race SCORE. I will probably race it in sportsman somewhere or class 12 at MDR. Im not gonna go to SNORE or BITD and beg them to make a class for me.

Rumor has it BITD is considering a ecotec class that is open to anything as long as it has a sealed ecotec in it. I dont know how true this is and I dont know if they are considering a 2.2 or 2.4.
Well...unless I am missing something, we are not asking BITD to change a class...just allow a sealed Ecotec to race. The rules already allow the larger, lighter, torqueyer VW's to play with the high zoot four valve, liquid cooled Hondas (and yes older Toyotas). So why not allow the 2.4L Ecotecs? They don't have a horsepower advantage...so let them race. Sealed stock engine on pump gas? Seems good to me! :)

07FJRog

Reaction
Well...unless I am missing something, we are not asking BITD to change a class...just allow a sealed Ecotec to race. The rules already allow the larger, lighter, torqueyer VW's to play with the high zoot four valve, liquid cooled Hondas (and yes older Toyotas). So why not allow the 2.4L Ecotecs? They don't have a horsepower advantage...so let them race. Sealed stock engine on pump gas? Seems good to me! :)
so who builds them and seals them?

craigincali

Reaction
BITD has a class for cars that dont belong in any other cvlass...... I am not trying to argue the point, just stating an opinion. SCORE actually made the best descision IMO (I cant believe I just said that!) by making class 4. Air cooled vs water cooled.....more displacement vs more torque.....those are the issues

Sparky

Reaction
Hmmm, 2.2L for the single seat, 2.4L for the two seaters...