I hate Halloween

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Alright so here's the story : It is October 30th 2002 and my friend Jethro (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) calls me up at about 7:30pm and asks what I am doing for Halloween. I said nothin so far, so he says do you wanna do something like "duct tape" cars or play "black cat" or just cause some havoc or something tomarrow? I said ya sure! So I get up in the morning of Halloween thinking I had the day off, but all of the sudden I get a call saying I have to go to Apple Valley to help install a door for some huge mansion up there (at least I got to go to the dezert today, kinda). Anyway this installation that was supposed to take an hour winds up taking all day because the door didn't fit (it's a long story), I tried to call Jethro but his phone was off. On the way home just when I got down the Cahone Pass at about 5:30 I got a call from this REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HOT CHICK I know: Uhh, lets call her Pamala. She said: Mer parents aren't going to be home tonight and I was wondering if you want to come over and give kids candy or if we get bored we will go see a movie." But dumbass me says: "I can't, I already made plans with my buddy Jethro." (Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!) Anyway around 7:00 I finally get a hold of Jethro. I asked him if we are still on for tonight, and guess what he said: "Na I am doing stuff with my girlfriend." What?! Are you kidding me?! So right away I call Pamala back and ask her if she still wants to do something, but no she can't, she is doing something with Bob. Bob?! Who the hell is Bob?! So for the last couple of hours I have been sitting on my ass doing nothing. Halloween sucks! Seriously, something like this happens every year. Does anybody have any stories like mine? Or am I just a loser? Also am I an IDIOT, or a good friend for blowing off the hot chick?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
She could have been Bob if you played your cards right. Its bad karma messin with people's cars.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

NOODLE

Reaction
Why would you turn down a hot chick just to take part in a sausage fest?Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight. Shwing!!!!!!

elcaprerunner

Reaction
See, I understand the meaning of "bros before hose", but obviously Jethro didn't. BTW Jtethro's real name starts with a G, NOODLE you know who I am talking about.

michael_loomis

Reaction
just so you know ....it was definately KARMA.

and for the record , if i ever CATCH anyone messing with my truck , I WILL f*** YOU UP!
some punk a$$es thought it would be "funny" to smash out my rear window. the anger is pent up and WILL be released.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Let me explain the games. Duct tape: On a neighborhood street at night we get a role of duct tape and stretch it across and lay it down in the middle of the road so the sticky side is facing up and each end is stuck to the road. When cars drive over it at 25 or 30 mph it sticks to the tires and makes a noise that sounds like you have a flat tire if you are in the car. It doesn't do any damage or harm to the car, it just messes with people.

Black Cat: You take a square piece of cardboard and spraypaint or color it black and cut out the shape of a cat standing up, you leave some extra on the bottom of the feet. Then you glue 2 dimes on it for eyes. Put it in the middle of a neighborhood street with that extra part taped on to the street and fold it over so the cat lays down. Tie a piece of fishing line on the top of it (with a limit strap on the backside taped on to the street) like 50 or 60 feet long and hide in the bushes and when a car comes pull the line and just before the car runs over it let go so it lays back down. People stop and get out and look for a run over cat and get all pissed off, I guess you have to be there

We have done some other things like make dumbies laying on the sidewalk in front of a bike so it looks like they went over the bars and got knocked out. We have gotten in some trouble with that one though.

Usually we will do these games on a random weekend when there is nothing to do but it seemed appropriate for Halloween, and it was the only thing for us idiots to do since none of us drink or smoke. We make sure we don't harm peoples stuff and cars and that no one gets hurt.

michael_loomis

Reaction
haha black cats kinda funny .... oh that wasnt meant exclusively toward you elcaprerunner , just venting in general. if you were really a pimp you coulda talked your fine chick friend into playin black cat with you .... or maybe even her fuzzy cat?!? btw props for not drinkin and smokin !

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I still think duct taping is BS. I would be pissed and beat the snot outta someone if I caught them duct taping me. Whoever you tape still has to clean that sticky crap mess off theire car, and on cars the tape usually gets on the susp. etc. Anything done to anyones car is a low blow. I think egging cars and keying cars are the worst, but anything is bad - well anything that causes damage. I guess letting the air outta someones tires is ok - cuz they can fix that w/o any problems. Steve

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
My neighbors car got paint stripping poured all over it...twice within a month and it was brand new!

THe duct tape gets wrapped all around the axles and everywhere...it is a major PIA.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Although I'd be pissed if anyone played any of those pranks on me, it is actually a pretty traditional way of spending Halloween. Before trick-or-treating was a customary way for kids to spend the holiday, "MIschief Night" was the way to go. Kids would wreak havoc throughout their town, overturning trash binds, soaping windows, tying cows to church bells, that sort of thing. Shopkeepers would offer the hoodlums candy, fruit, or some other "treat" to leave thier place alone. The Klu Klux Klan would use the night as an excuse to terrorize, assuming people would blame it on those crazy kids. In 1925 a group in Chicago tried to change all that by encouraging students and parents to do good things on that night instead, like cleaning up yards, fixing fences, and doing other charitable things. Organizations like the Lion's Club and Kiwanis would throw parties for those kids as a reward on Halloween. The police would even give free cake and ice cream at parties. The Boy Scouts helped organize the first trick-or-treat night to discourage the criminal antics and take the night away from the KKK. Obviously it was a big hit with the young kids (free candy...can't go wrong there). I LOVE HALLOWEEN!

<font color=red>JEN!</font color=red>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You guys are obviously pretty young. Everybody knows that you don't need a string to get the (rhymes with wussy) to lay down! But I guess you guys are handicapped since you don't drink.

Sorry to all that I offended!

See ya in the dirt!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I might be in the wrong place, but I thought this page was RACE-DEZERT.COM keyword being DEZERT and RACE. Please use this forum for race/prerunner related topics. There are a lot of chat sites on the internet you guys can go to, I am tired of seeing this page go downhill and hardly any racers posting anymore. Thank you in advance.

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I thought when you guys opend the WHATEVER genral discussion, it was to get posts like this in HERE and not in the shop section. I thought these types of post were what this section was for. Steve

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yep just for this reason, you are right. Something that has nothing to do with the desert, trucks or anything race related.. Sorry you are wrong. We have gone over this several times. Everytime the post quality starts going downhill we have to go back over what this forum is in place for. General discussion was so that people could talk about desert and desert trips, prerunning, etc stuff that was not race related or a shop question.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
John -

Just a question/comment not trying to argue with you here but......Don't you think that to some degree, this type of thread builds community among those who frequent the board, not to mention informs people of things that they would of otherwise not have known (thanks Jen!)? I would argue that every now and then this kind of thread is good. It helps build relationship that are not solely based on the desert, which is a good thing. What is your take?

See ya in the dirt!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I agree to some extent. The problem is the page has once again turned into a chat room. If you notice when Jen posts a halloween post or a holiday post it is just that, on the day itself, and that is it. I think people are posting just to post and the quality has gone way downhill. I login at anytime and have 20 new posts on the board and 1 of them is worth reading. I think the longer we allow non related posts and trash on the board the harder it will be to recover it and bring it back to where we once had it. You guys dont have to hear what we do over e-mails and in person daily from racers and teams. We hate hearing that the page was once cool and is no longer because of all the useless garbage that gets posted. We put too much heart and soul into this page to lose it to teen chatters. Quality over quantity. If you need to post a question, do so. Someone posts weekly asking for the number to Deaver, is this really necessary? It has been talked about 900 times. We are on a cycle, people are not reading posts so they are posting the same topics over and over again and people are answering all the questions over and over again. We have a search function for a purpose. Please just think about what you post before you do so, maybe search first. And it is not necessary to answer every single post made for some of you. Thank you for at least reading this.

motoxscott

Reaction
The "Whats Deavers phone number?" posts bug me too. I've got your back on this one John.

I've noticed on several other boards a decline in quality posts, it ends up being the same people saying the same stuff in different ways, or some people have to give their opinion on everything regardless if they have experiance in that field or not.

Or I could be wrong.....after all.....I'm no one special.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
- This board has a search engine..and we encourage everyone to use it. A lot of questions can be answered that way before posting them.

- As for community. I feel we have created an online community. A place for you to interact with others that love the same sport. Now we would like to take it to the next level where the "the who is who of desert racing" feels comfortable enough to post here and interacts with the "budget punk prerunner kid". This will only happen when you step things up a notch and keep things professional. Note we are not saying 'don't have fun', 'don't post that joke', 'don't ask that dumb question'. We are asking our posters to be good about your posting habits.

Not trying to discourage you from posting...its just too much redundant stuff at times and not enough desert racing info.

Post your racing stories. Your race prep stories. Racing rumors you herd. Concerns for the sport. Pre-Run tips and hints - The biggest race of them all is around the corner. The Baja 1000. Lets talk about that for a change.

Stan

Reaction
I'll throw in on this one since I'm one of the most hardcore stock poser web wheelers on the planet.

If you would like to keep this forum "dezert" related, then a change of description on the main board would be advisable since the description for this forum is "anything you would like to share with the world". Now that right there just opened the 55 gallon barrel plus some.

The other two boards I frequent, (heck, the wife is accusing me of living on one) are well ran, and are broken down into forums and the threads pretty much stay on topic. Both boards even have a "General" type forum for all the chit chat BS that everyone has. Now on one board, the general forum is a free for all; and pretty much everything you can think of and stuff that you can't imagine is discussed on there. Heck, yesterday, there were links to a Navy video showing the testing of a C-130 taking off and landing on a friggin aircraft carrier. The trash talking at times is unbelievable. The other board where I live, the general forum is pretty much a free for all, but it's a lot tamer than the other board and there are ground rules. Hopefully that will give you an idea of the attitudes, if you want to check them out go over to ColoradoK5.com and Pirate4x4.com.

Now onto my point. The camaraderie on these boards are great. A lot of the people know some other people and there are trips/parts sales and whatnot that are started right there on the boards. Now onto my second point. These two boards have some vendors that are regulars on the boards. Heck, some of them even have MONTHLY give aways to members and the prizes are not stickers or anything like that, but parts. Parts that one person doesn't have to spend the money on. This stuff is well advertised and the vendors get more business by working like that.

As for competitors hanging on the boards, one board is owned by a racer. Now I'm talking rock crawling comps here. That board, the last I knew had over 13,000 members. Not all post or read, but a good portion of them do. There's a really great chance of being able to get answers from the people who know what they are talking about.

*DISCLAIMER*This is my opinion and my opinion only, I may be wrong but this is my take as an outsider looking in.

I think the major problem in general is the overall attitude of the dezert world. Now let me elaborate. I've been on e-mail lists and hanging here for the past four years learning everything I can. I know several racers and others who have/were involved with this sport since the dawn of time. They never come here. The races I've been to I have seen and been amazed by the helping hand one racer gives to another (and even received that help on one occasion). That spirit is always talked about. That same spirit also resides in the other forms of off road also. But I think with the dezert world, it's somewhat cliquish to the point that if an outsider is around/speaks/asks a question, the "clique" clams up. Now an argument against that statement is I've been offered help by two members here (Thank you Jerry and Eric, y'all will be bombarded shortly with questions and requests) for a tech article I want to do. But it's taken 4 years to stumble onto that. I've been fed bits and pieces over the years, but I've waited this long to recieve answers I was searching for. It may of been the way I was asking the questions that was getting me the answers I was, but my opinion I don't think so. I think it's the attitude of the dezert world and because it's really small. The center of the world is pretty much in SoCal, with more in AZ and after that, there's few people outside of those states that know the dezert.

*DISCLAIMER OFF*

Now this is just my suggestion and my suggestion only. You may want to spend some time checking out those other boards. Just spend a few days reading posts, checking out the format and get a feel for the attitudes. Then chew on those opinions you form for awhile and then take the parts and use them, tweak them for over here, whatever, and throw the rest out. Maybe even ask some questions of the board owners, see if they can't help you in the quest.

Me personally, I know nothing of bandwith costs or any of that other Internet mumbo jumbo except that 28.8 rocks and DSL kicks a**. But maybe disecting the board and breaking it down into more forums might help. Maybe get a couple of fabricators/vendors in here and give them their own board so they can answer questions/tech about their products. Open Tech up wide open. Instead of having a "shop" forum, have several different tech areas for different vehicles and such. Have a tech section on how to go "low-buck." Not hillbilly, redneck or ghetto, but a learning area for people who can't afford to pay the fabricators or really want to build on their own. Approach (if it's been done, forget this next item) the race organizations, have them sponsor their own forums on here where RDC gets some cash and people can ask questions or give feedback about the races/rules, what have you. If the growth=$$$ is something that is a problem, offer a membership program. Someone pays $25 a year and gets a RDC sticker and special features of the board that non-paying members don't get. Last but not least, the Classifieds section bugs me
. Is there anyway you can have a couple of forums on here instead of the separate area?

In the end, that's just my view from an outsider looking in.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.