• Forum membership has its advantages....

I need help identifying a possible Dirtrax DT2

bbraden

I bought this car in Lubbock TX last April but it was somewhere in southern CA before that. Does anybody know anything about the car? It seems pretty unique, maybe somebody will recognize it. The shocks feel stiffer than a 1 ton pickup. Either they are totally seized up or were valved for something way more serious than sitting in my garage. This buggy has a historical feel to it which is really why I bought it in the first place. It just feels like there's more to it than meets the eye. The shifter is very unique, and I don't recognize the finned CV joints. The front hood is actually fiberglass. The Billsteins seem to be from the 80's but I don't know much about their application. OH, there seems to be some blood red paint on the sheet metal underneath that flat black. I doubt that it was flat black its whole life. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

Lifeflight

Chenowth/Bobby Neth. But not the shock mounts. Shifter for sure. Neth usually ran a cable with hand made peddles though. That's where i would start. Dash and shifter is identical to a DeNaults championship wining NETH from around 1990 nethracingworks.com. Julian california

Bro_Gill

Yeah, just a Chenowth 2-1600. Standard lightened CVs for California and Nevada. Looks like factory hood and aluminum side panels. Chenowth shifter. Shock package is newer with bypass and plated rear mounts, but nothing out of the ordinary. Would probably still be a decent Baja race car for the longer races.

bbraden

This one has been flat black for a long time. Maybe longer than it was red from the looks of the paint. I bought it in April 2015 and it wasn't race-able at that point or probably even a year before. I don't think it's seen any action in 5 years or more. I'm having trouble finding pictures of the Kurnut torque limiters. I guess they're basically like a PTO clutch so I would expect to see some springs of some type. Not sure how to identify.

Bro_Gill

No, inner CV just has lightening fins that also help cool(maybe). Outer is just lightened. No torque limiters on there, it's a 1600 car!

bbraden

So I just bought a Subaru motor for this buggy and I'm preparing to start trimming some steel off the back side to turn this into a 4 seater of sorts. Before I cut anything, I guess it would be nice to know if there's any nostalgic value in the original frame. From what I can gather it's a Chenowth 4LWD, but I haven't verified. It would appear as though you can't buy these frames anymore.

Bro_Gill

No, it's a Chenowth DR-2/1600 chassis. Before you hack it up, I would see if you could sell it to a racer (it would still be competitive at most Mexico races and longer U.S. races like Vegas to Reno) and start with a real 4 seat chassis if that is what you want. You aren't going to gain much room unless you basically cut the entire top off that car, move the front seats forward and move the fuel cell over the trans and it will still be a tight fit. Since you're in Texas, there is a Berrien Buggy dealer there. Look at the Stalker 4 seat chassis they have available. Probably way easier and cheaper to start with that for what you want.