I need my camara cleaned out

elcaprerunner

Reaction
I have an 8mm Sony CamCorder that I use when I go to the dezert to film races and whatever we are doing out there. Anyways, I have just started filming around September for the Lucerne 300 MDR race, and since then I have six races plus UP D-Day on it and also other desert trips with quads and stuff. The thing is I have not really done anything to protect it from the dust and now it seems like the dust is really starting to get to it. The last race we went to was the Parker 425 which I used the end of one tape (tape 1)and the beginning of another (tape 2). After the race we went to watch the tapes over and the tape 1 worked fine, but the tape 2 my camara would not play, when I would put the tape in the camara would make a noise that sounded like rewinding or fast-forwarding for about 10 seconds, then it would open up as if you were going to put a tape in or take one out, so it was rejecting the tape. At first I figured it was just tape 2 that had the problem, but when we watched tape 2 on my buddies camara it worked just fine. So just a few minutes ago I took my camara so I could look at all the other tapes real quick and the camara would do the same thing to every tape as it did to tape 2, and I didn't even try to play tape 2.

My question is... Where can I find a place in either the 909 or 714 to get my camara cleaned out?? Are there places that do this? Can anyone diagnose my camara problem? Is there something I can do myself to fix the problem? Has anyone else had this problem that can give me some advise?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I took my camera to Best Buy once and it took them a week to go through it. It worked bitchen right after. I just clean the lenses after every trip I make with it and I will take it to Best Buy soon to do another cleaning but its been a year since the last.

<font color=red>"BIG TYMERS is a state of mind... If you gonna do something, do it big time."</font color=red>

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Thanks Steve, any idea on how much it costs? Do you remember?

H.O.R.E.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Use masking tape and tape up the whole camera except for the buttons you use....tape around the tape door and that will help it 10000 times. Before I started taping mine up it would get dirty after every race. Now its gone for like 6 months without a cleaning and it works great!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Thanks for the advice fish and Steve, I'm sure doing both of those things will help a ton.

H.O.R.E.

martininsocal

Reaction
elca- if you have as small a Sony as me, then do this, use a ziplock bag and leave a hole for the lense, then just tape around the lens. Set it up so you can open the bag to change tapes, etc...Makes it easy to continue using it without having to untape all the time.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

bandikook

Reaction
i have a digital 8 sony camcorder and have not had any real problems. I bought it from best buy and its free whenever (4 yr warrenty) i want to get it cleaned for any reason. I dont know if you have the warranty but thats how mine is. they said if they cant fix the problem, they will replace the camera for free, no questions asked. Also maybe check with whereever you got it from, or show up bring a reciept and hope for the best.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
i clean my own stuff, but then that would explain me breaking my cameras, lol. Anyways, I was finally able to put my mdvcam together correctly after it being out of service since laughlin.

Depending on how old your camera is, you might want to take it to an authorized sony dealer, otherwise it can void your warranty (if it's still under warranty).

And to all of you who tape your cameras: be careful when you tape over the serial number. I accidently pulled the number off when peeling the sticker off and now sony (fry's) wont service it and I still have 2 years left on my extended warranty. After about a week of calling different people i found out that I have to subpeona sony's corporating company to retrieve my serial number. I doubt the process would cost less than replacing my camera. so yeah. good luck.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Yeah, it is 5 years old I would have to say, so unless there is some lifetime warranty I'm sure I will have to pay full price. I think my parents got it at Circuit City but I'm not sure. But yes, Best Buy is very good with their warranty policy... When my Xplode ( POS) stereo deck died I took it back and had them look at it, and they said it was unrepairable so they gave me a brand new one for free because I got the four year warranty for it, and let me tell you that warranty is worth the extra $20.

H.O.R.E.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I did the exact same thing! lol the serial number is on a piece of tape somewhere in the desert! Whoops!

Go Big Or Go Home

martininsocal

Reaction
Fish- tell me you didn't admit to leaving trash in the desert!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Of course not its in trash can at the entrance to barstow.....

Go Big Or Go Home