I sheared off a lug....

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
...from the right front wheel of my 97 Suburban. Still got 5 more that hold lug nuts tight:rolleyes:, but should I replace that? I don't think I can replace the lug itself, the whole assembly needs to be replaced. I carry precious cargo (kiddies). I don't think it needs to be replaced, but I have been wrong before.

So is it worth replacing the whole thing or do I just torque down the other 5 to spec and not sweat it???

Mark Newhan

Reaction
The stud are pressed in. Go to Napa and pick one up.

Reaction
Sure you can. Just remove the hub,(Usually takes a special tool to remove the cogged nut on the 4X4) hammer out the remaining five studs and replace all six. If one broke it could have been tighted down to much or all could have been loose. I would replace all six just to be safe. Check the other three wheels for problems.

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
hammer and punch it out. oil and slip put a new one in, then tighten the wheel. it should "press it in the rest of the way. just replaced 4 on a camry in 20min.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
I lost all five on the rear of my bronco in Lucerne due to a tire store stripping two studs. It's not fun to have a wheel fall off! Change all the studs on that corner and then check the remaining 3 wheels. It should be fairly easy.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
+1. . .replace them all!

It shouldn't take too long. . .the hardest (and loudest) part will be driving them out with a hammer and hardened punch. Torquing them to spec will "press" them into the hub. . .just make sure to torque, loosen, re-torque a couple of time to make sure they have been completely pressed into the hub. . .good visual check might confirm that you got them all the way in the first time.

I had a wheel stud shear off once before as well. . .turns out the tire shop I was using was just going to town on the lug nuts with pneumatic wrenches willy nilly! They overtightened all my lug nuts. . .noticed a weird sound driving down the road so I pulled off in a parking lot and the weird noise was the rear tire wobbling. I assumed they had just forgotten to tighten the lug nuts all the way so I broke out the onboard lug nut wrench and the whole wheel stud sheared off in less than half a turn. . .tried one other and it did the same thing! Called the place, had them come get the car with a tow (at thier expense) and had them pay the local Chevy dealership to replace all the wheel studs. . .was something like $90 a wheel to replace all the studs plus the cost of the tow. I didn't ever go back to that tire place again. . .

. . .that being said I suggest always making sure that your tire place has torque limited pneumatic wrenches that just snug the wheels down and that they hand torque the lug nuts to the correct value once they have been snugged with the pneumatic wrench. If a place using pneumatic wrenches only I won't let them touch my car. . .goes the same for me for any maintenance I have a shop do. . .no pneumatic torquing of bolts/nuts. . .just common sense.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
The lug that got sheared of was of my own doing...cross threaded a lug onto it, it got stuck as I tried to remove it and I had to put SERIOUS pressure on it before it broke. I mean SERIOUS pressue, I was jumping on the mofo. So it was of my own doing, but I thank you all for the responses and advice!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
WOW. . .jumping on it. . .that is some serious pressure!

While I was in the Navy we would come across some cross threaded fasteners that had been gorilla-torqued on by the mechanics but I don't think I ever had to jump on anything to get it off!. . .that would have generally been frowned on while we were several hundred feet underwater. . .bad JuJu!!! Keep the water out of the water tank!

Glad you got it taken care of though. . .and glad that it was your own doing and you were aware of it vs. my situation!

I would still replace that wheel stud. . .good luck.