I Still Don't Get It!

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I Still Don\'t Get It!

On the way back home from San Felipe, we traveled through Brawley where I witnessed the mass exodus of Dunatics from the Glamis dunes after the weather changed their mood. In this procession was tens of millions of dollars of gear like I have never scene at a dez race. The most gucci style motorhomes to the most outrageously lifted truck pulling the largest toy haulers I have ever scene.

Why can't we attract this money and interest to desert racing?

PJCinLV

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Re: I Still Don\'t Get It!

They're all just thirty thousand dollar millionairs a.k.a "plastic rich". After they leave there, they go to their track homes in the middle of nowhere where they can leave cheap and afford to have such nice trucks.

See ya in the dirt!

Gabe Lara

Reaction

Pat,

I think the general "dune" population don't really know the fun factor and excitement involved in desert racing.
I think the majority of them may have a fear of Mexico to boot, and reluctant to bring their $$ toys across the border, as well as the BLM rules/regulations at many of the stateside races.

"Gucci Style"... THAT is funny!

-Gabe

dunerking

Reaction

OUCH,we have a rough crowd here.Sounds like some hate towards people that enjoy the same sort of entertainment that all of you do,but in a different forum.I grew up going to the dezert(Red Rock,Cal city,etc...)and the track,but now prefer going down to Glamis.I think that we are all brothers and sisters here,so there isn't any reason to bash people just for where they decide to enjoy their time and money.If anything I would say it helps the sport out with all the "morons" by bringing money into the sport that we all love.

Sometimes it helps to look outside the box!

hit it hard

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction

Simple $10 and race around the whole weekend, and get "tuned up" all day and night. I do both worlds and there is nothing like a desert race, and the same for Glamis, when you want to get away. Most of the people out in glamis are now high dollar "plastic" cars, but there are a lot of cash and carry machines, I think the last trip I made I saw a semi/toy hauler that has simmon beauty rest (or another mattres comp) all on the side, and on top of that the Herbst boys have a hauler and attend regulary.

For most of the people out there that I have talked to, it is cheeper for them to fill up and be the driver, where as they would have spent an exponintial amount racing, and they would rather drive, than sit and watch others have all the fun. I have seen plenty of people out there that say there buggie is going to race MDR class one and such events.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

robert_encinas

Reaction

i would say that the loss of the fireworks 250 in barstow was a major killing point as far as the spectators go. you could go anywhere on course for a better view of the race action and it was the closest race to the city dwellars in so. cal.i honestly believe that without spectators this sport will never go any farther than it is now.the 80s was the peak of this sport , it will never match that again.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

Funny that you say that Trav... I was jsut talking about how bad the economy is gonna be when all the people who have all the zero interest crap(who can't afford it) or no payments till God knows when...file bankruptcy....it is gonna hurt!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

It might also be the competition thing also. I myself am not competitive at all and do not have what it takes to be a racer. I love prerunning and having fun so I can totally understand how someone can spend $50-$75k on a killer toy to have fun with it. It also might be that they have not been introduced to it. I have a number of friends who have been going to the dunes and desert for years and have never seen a desert race before. It just takes us always bringing someone new with us each time. Then the next time they bring someone and it snowballs. The sport is getting huge again.

I think you are right though Kris, when all of these no payments or interest catches up with people I sure help the economy has caught up also.

martininsocal

Reaction

Ok, You guys all ready for this?

Dunerking is right, Glamis is the perfect place for people who can't navigate around things!

(lol)

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

mgobaja

Reaction

I recall seeing a sticker a few years ago it read " Sand is for the people who lack the ability to navigate obstacles "

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction

It is all about the Ice chest on the roof! Full of good times..As the Herbst would say, Crown Me!
I think it has to do with Most of the Glamis crowd Likes to just have fun. They work really hard and want to pay someone to get their sand car ready for a fun weekend. Most of the people I meet are very well off. So I would not say they are plastic rich. I would say they are Very rich! Racing is a ton of work and gets very expensive. It is very intense and can get to be more work then fun. Glamis with a sand car can be alot of work but no pressure. Just good times.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction

Jerry,

This may be my thing but, I am not comfortable at the dunes unless the place is empty. With any amount of people there, it's almost like riding a motorcycle on the street. You have to be alert for traffic in all directions and that's not too relaxing.

On the other hand, I think prerunning on a known course during a designated time is probably as safe as off-roading can be. Flying up a marked course at a good clip is just one of the best things in life!

Overall, I am happy that folks spends their time and hard earned money on any aspect of off-roading. I just wish a few more of these folks would help desert racing rise to the level it should really be at.

Cheers

PJCinLV

WFODAN

Reaction

If I was to tell you the truth , I'd have to say that I love both ends of the spectrum , but If I had to give up racing or the dunes ........... I wouldn't race anymore . You can get the same thing out of the dunes that you can out of any race , but only spending a tenth of the money to do it . The prep is also about a tenth as much as it is for racing . Last but not least ....... Your car doesn't get destroyed every trip out . Like I said though . I love them both , I just prefer the dunes .

Dan Vance

FABRICATOR

Reaction

Off-road racing has got to be one of the biggest pain-in-the-butts known to man. If I wasn't hooked, I would never do it!

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

dunerking

Reaction

I think you should be paying attention when you are riding no matter where it may be.And as far as not being able to" navigate around things",I have to say that you couldn't be further from the truth.Just because it may not be a bush(which there may be someone behind on their motorcycle)or a rocky whooped out wash,or the list goes on,come on out run through the dunes with a couple of fast cars,and for sure you will have a good time.I don't miss the dust,rocks,and Yucca bushes one bite.I was out at Glamis then went to Red Rock the same weekend and ended up wishing I was back at Glamis.Have alot of friends though that swear by the dezert,and have no desire to go to Glamis,I say their lose.
I just think it pretty cool to see more and more of the dezert racing tech finally making it's way to our spectrum.

hit it hard

ONE_RJ

Reaction

Pat , i just happened to be one of those duniacs coming home from glamis, and i was with some well known prep shop owners , fabricators & racers as well. We had a blast!! but your right, if we all do not figure out how to elevate our sport to the next level, it will be just like the dunes, another expensive hobby. Whats the answer ? we have all came up with our ideas , but that is all they are. how do we put them into action? We give our show away for free . Can we come up with a way to charge a spectator fee & offer consessions to help pay for televison & advertising to lure sponsors? This would be a good thread to start to talk about and act on starting 2004. What about a willowsprings type of course like the old riverside races that could generate money strickly for the benifit of the sport ? That we could really hype up. maybe mix in huge contingency / mfg row, jump contest , pit crew contest with some live music at night? oh! ! that sounds like Laughlin. any ideas?

MNotary

Reaction

Obvious

Not everyone can race. Think about the effort.

desertratt

Reaction

all i know is that its the dune and rec riders that spend their money on their cars and quads that keep people like me in busness so i can go and enjoy dezert racing. if they want to go race each other up a sand dune and that's what's fun for them great! more power to them! i enjoy glamis myself. havent got to go in a couple of years cuz i am allways either racing or at a race pitting. there where a few fab shops that where strugalling a few years back when some one desided to build one of those long travel buggies. people went nuts, started a new craze and wern't affraid to spend the cash. that pumped a lot of life into a hurting sport, dezert racing!

drive fast and take chances!!