i wanna race the san felipe 250

wannaberacer

Reaction
i want to race next years San felipe 250 this has been a dream of mine for while and me and a friend have dedicated our selves to acheving this, I want to race class 21 and I would like to get some info on what i need that i wouldnt think of and what are the entrence fees and so on i plan on racing either a crf450 or a zyf426 or do you guys think i could pull it off with a cr250?? Im not looking to win im looking to have a good time and see where i stand as far as my skills go

I have a house in san felipe and I have been watchin desert racing for a while and I am going down every two weeks to practice and get ready to race

I wanna race....

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
The entry fees are here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.score-international.com/sanFelipe/index.ihtml>http://www.score-international.com/sanFelipe/index.ihtml</A>.
I would rather do the race in a cr but then the only other four strokes ive ridden are xr's.
My choice for the 2 stroke is because you dont have any compression braking and this is especially helpful in the washes that have all those nasty hidden rocks.

Good Luck

martininsocal

Reaction
Tell me about the 2 stroke/4stroke compression braking thing! I biught my kid a new CRF150 for Xmas. I almost killd myself the first time I rode it! Came off the throttle for a little downhill turn and almost went over the bars! So far a great little bike with the exception of a drum on the rear. Anyone do a disc conversion yet? And we are waiting for a desert tank..Anyone know if XR's only got something in the works?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Martin,

Buddy of mine works at XR's Only. He says the most common question they ask their callers is . . .

"Why do you think we call it XR's Only?"

;>)

Reese

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I rode a CRF450 in Glamis and in dumont and never had a problem with compression braking? and I rode the bike hard with a 10 paddle, that bike was way nicer that any YZF I have ever ridden, my vote would be for the CRF450, too much chance of a 2 stroke blowing up if your gonna ride that far and fast for that long...Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

wannaberacer

Reaction
yea my only concerns are it blowing up in the middle of a race is there any way around this such as oversided radiators or somthing like that?? and what kind of rims should I run

I wanna race....

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
heat is part of the problem on 2 stroke but mostly rmp 4 strokes make a ton of torque! so they can run at high speeds with low rmp and maintain acertain speed where a 2 stroke you have wind the piss out of them to hold mph, dont those dezert bikes run about 115mph on the flats? I know a 4 stroke can do it but my old cr would max out at around 85mph and it sounded like it wanted to fly apart!!!!, I ran excel rims on that but I dont know what the big boys run in the dezert I would definitally look into that subject!....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

curt

Reaction
There's one more advantage to a 4 stroke- fuel economy, which is very important in a distance race. My CR500 eats up gas at about twice as fast as my friends XR650 or XR400. With the new 4 strokes having suspension as good as any 2 stroke and the reduced weight to keep from tiring you out, they are really the way to go now...Curt

VORRA Class 7

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
the fuel issue is very important in dez racing and having a thumper makes your life a bit easier when you get accidently run outta gas. You can usually just dump gas from any person with a car. With the 2 stroke, well you would have to carry pre-mix and maybe even a mixing cup.
Some of the top guys run bib mousse front and back but im not sure of runnning them on 2 strokes, something about them melting?

...AND no matter what you end up racing/riding get a scotts or gpr stabilizer! You'll never ride without one.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"...AND no matter what you end up racing/riding get a scotts or gpr stabilizer! You'll never ride without one."

A must have on any REAL dez bike!!!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

martininsocal

Reaction
hey Reese- what is XR's only gonna do when there are no more XR's being prduced? The XR 200 has been replaced with the CRF 230 and the XR 100 with the CRF150...It won't be long before the CRF450 and a 650 will be the big bores. They gonna do restoration work only? Actually, the guys at HondaYamaha of Redlands said that Baker was doing R&D for the CRF's, thats why I asked...

If your gonna go, go BIG

YZFster

Reaction
I want to race to.......what is a good pit service to use.........any ideas???????????

Go Big or stay there.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Honda has been know to have THE BEST motorcycle pits. They only pit for xr's though, no cr's and of course no other brands. Im not sure of what you have to do (besides being in their elite team A and B) to have them pit for you.

DesertCreations

Reaction
As far as what rim size to run. Get an Excel 18" the reason is you can get like an 18x100 which has a taller sidewall that will soak up the rock pounding impacts that a short sidewall 19" can't so you can save the rim.

michael_loomis

Reaction
are you sure honda wont pit a CRF ? they were racing/testing them for awhile there.

STEERING DAMPNER and DEZ TANK FOR SURE.

i think honda runs D.I.D rims on the factory race (and showroom) stuff.

wannaberacer

Reaction
yea i was thinking basicaly get new suspension, sprockets, rims, dez tank, bars, foot pegs, and get some engine work done

anyone know a shop that has really good deals on dez stuff?? and or does good engine work??

I wanna race....

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Not to be a dick, but you seem pretty unfamilar with desert racing. Are you sure that you want to and are qualified to race? I commend your enthusiasm, but just looking out for your safety and that of the other racers.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
you should start with a few district 37 before you go run with the big boys and have TTSbarkin down your back. 700 HP 7000lb trucks dont slow down! Make sure you can do a few 60 mile loops at speed before you go gungho! Dez racing on a bike is not a 20 lap/30 minute moto...it is a 6 hour moto at least!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
you should start with a few district 37 before you go run with the big boys and have TTs barkin down your back. 700 HP 7000lb trucks dont slow down! Make sure you can do a few 60 mile loops at speed before you go gungho! SCORE Dez racing on a bike is not a 20 lap/30 minute moto...it is a 6 hour moto at least!

I seriously suggest heading up to Lucerrne or Ridgecrest for a dez race first...they are every sunday almost...I can hook you up with some buddies who race every Sunday.

Kris