i wanna race the san felipe 250

wannaberacer

Reaction
i am not that familiar with dezert racing but i do ride in san felipe every two weeks and i think that if i practice hard enough that I can do it I am going down next weekend with some friends to kinda pre-run this years course and see how it goes

I wanna race....

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Go to the SCORE website and get a copy of the course map from last year. Then ride the course while you are down there and see how you do. Just be safe, as YOU WILL LOSE if you get in an accident during a race.

See ya in the dirt!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I second the aforementioned notion of trying other races first. District-37 races are good because if you are in Big Bear, just scoot on down Hwy 18 to Lucerne or Johnson Valley (many of their races are held there). You might be a good rider but might not have much experience with the rules, regs, markings, pits, and such of a desert race. Additionally, there are no trucks/buggies to tangle you up. The D-37 races range from 40-80 miles depending on the class you run. Take your buddies out there and switch off after a lap and get familiar with the whole show.

It also sounds that you are not that familiar with any aftermarket companies or are familiar with components needed to run desert type races. There is a really big company down the hill in San Berdo...Chaparral. Go there and spend some time "picking" the brain of their employees about products and racing. I am sure there will be someone there who races desert and can steer you in the right direction. All those components are also not cheap, especially rims (about $500 w/hubs, Scott's or GPR $350, etc.). They will probably have (or can order) most of the products and are usually a discounted price there.

I hope this info helps you. I use to race D-37 and learned many things from racers and clubs out there. They are a great bunch of competitors and will bend over backwards to help you. Good luck!

Littlenutts

Reaction
I am going to Hare and hound D37 race this weekend if any of you would like to come and check it out.

They are REAL!

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Talk to Mike Hobbs at ORC "mhobbs@off-road.com" he has the whole drill on SCORE races. Be advised that SF is usually a race with a lot of soft washes and deep sandy sections of whoops.

PJCinLV

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
The race "Littlenuts" is talking about is in Red Mountain. Here is some info:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/calendar/feb03/fouraces.jpg>http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/calendar/feb03/fouraces.jpg</A>

wannaberacer

Reaction
where can i get some more info on d37 races this sounds like a good place to practice

and i have been to chapparel but they are lame there i have never got any good info from them and i have little to no respect for them last bike my dad bought from them they didnt put any oil in it!!!!

and i know that its going to be verry expensive but my freinds parents said they will sponcer me and they said most likely get me another sponcer to so that should help

I wanna race....

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Here ya go;

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/index.html>http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/index.html</A>

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Keep asking questions here because there are many on this board that still race bikes in the dez and/or are very much into riding desert. You can PM me for anything if you want to pick my brain.

If you are in the area of Long Beach Motorsports in Long Beach, you can ask for Mike Walders (my father, tell him Brannon sent you) and ask him questions. They are a Honda, Kaw, Suz, Yam, and SeaDoo dealer. Some of their employees race Motox and/or desert. Also, Tom Ridings is the owner. He races a Class 12 in the SCORE series.

mustafa

Reaction
18" Excel rims are the best choice for you. DID has a new rim that claims to be stronger, but I don't know anyone that is using them. For questions, you can
call Scott's Performance....they are very knowledgable always willing to help. Make sure that you are initmately familiar with your bike and that is thoroughly prepped.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
For suspension, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/>http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/</A>
are among the best for desert racing.
btw, that's also what the honda desert team run.

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
Go race San Felipe and have the best time of your life. My first off road race was San Felipe and I finish 4th out of 8 or 9 buggies in my class. I can even say that I beat the Herbst Truggy by 10 minutes. Troy had problems so he was down time but then again I had transmission problems too. The fact is that it was my first race and I have been hooked ever since. Do your best to pre-run and know the course. Watch out for the locals who like to dig holes or build bumps. Last but not least try to finish the race safely and have a cold beer when you’re done. From what I understand Honda will help other racers on Hondas and try to have some friends who will dump fuel for you and if something goes wrong they can go in and get you. Also don't be afraid to ask another pit for help usually if they can help you with your problem they will. Good Luck and I hope to see you down there.

Baja_Seve

Reaction
Wannabe, good on ya for your interest in SF 250. You're obviously new to Baja racing on bikes. There is a lot more to this than what you think. Totally agree with the D37 races, a great intro. Then get involved in a motorcycle pit or chase truck in one of the Baja races - it will teach you alot. Booby traps, spectators, and Baja terrain are additional challenges in Mexico racing. Next, enter the Sportsman class in the Score series: either Sportsman <250cc or Sportsman >250cc. NOT Class 21 off the bat. It is cheaper and a great way to get into Mexico racing. If all you want to do now is prove yourself and see how you finish, enter Sportsman. If you're racing a YZ 450F or CRF 450, it will be >250cc (and usually a big, competitive entry field). If an XR 250, it will be <250cc. But look at the Baja historical record of 250 cc bikes: Class 21 does not have alot of Honda winners. You will see Kawi's and Yamaha's.

Pitting. Honda DOES pit CRF's. Problem is, Honda is thinking about withdrawing their pit support for Baja races ($$$). Honda will accept a pre-set max of Honda motorcycles, regardless of class. You need to contact Bruce Ogilvie at American Honda for a pit race application if you get a Honda. The other GOOD alternative is a pit service called Mag 7 (www.mag7race.com), who specialize in motorcycles and will pit and fuel you every 50 miles. All makes.

SF is the hardest Baja race for a motorcycle. The sand washes will kill you. It is far more physically demanding than the Baja 500 or 1000. Pre-running the course as much as you can is key. The bike must be made desert-proof and that requires $$$ to be invested in the bike. Steering damper a must in the washes, getting flats is notorious in SF (bib mousse foam inserts ARE expensive, but we use them). Obviously, a good skid plate, hand guards, after market handlebars and triple clamps, exhaust system, decent chain, and capability to deal with common failures (i.e. spare parts!!) are a necessity. A dry break refueling system saves much time at a refueling pit, and Mag 7 uses them. Bob Bell at Prec Concepts is the Baja wizard for suspension.

Good luck and be safe.

Baja Seve