I wanna race!

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
Im fifteen. Where can i race my XR400 or YZ250F? I understand my age is a handicap.

I'm not looking for moto-x events, because those races just aren't appealing to me.
i'm looking for Desert races. preferably around southern Nevada. I heard they have a desert test track around Armagosa? I have tons of experience in the desert. not much into motoX.

also, Do i have to wait a few months? few years?

thanks for the help.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Theres a group that races around searchlight. They do some night races. Partner up and do some BITD. Find a buddy and pool your resources. Get a pit crew. Its alot of fun but its dangerous too. Be prepared. Good luck

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
boulder city mx. sandy valley.

Chase 2

Reaction
I've personally not done any of the Mran races but I've heard nothing but good. That is where I would start if I were you.

kenaroo

Reaction
MRAN is the place for you.

great races and courses. not too big of turnouts but enough to have someone to race against.

for an Idea of the MRAN races.. check out Scott Glimp's helmet can videos on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/1dezman1

Scott is also on this forum and has raced that series for over 20 years.

I'd PM him for more info.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
this sounds great! the night race is tomorrow, so its too soon to do that. but the next bushwackers race is September 19th.
My XR400 is a great desert bike, but i dont know how it compares to the new CR450F. i have a kinda crappy front light, but i do have a helmet light that i still need to hook up. I have desert tires with probably only 100 miles on them.

I have a camelback, helmet, chest protector...... etc. anything i need to race besides that?

im great in dust, so im excited after watching those youtube videos.

kenaroo

Reaction
your XR will be great. Maybe not a bike a pro would race but a novice/int racer no problem. here in Texas before the 4stk boom. the 4 stk class was dominated by the xr400. some were uber tricked out... just make sure you go over the bike well before the race. check all the nuts and bolts for correct tightness, spokes, sprocket bolts, chain in good shape, brake pads good? check your throttle cable for frays and if needed replace anything that is broken or could wear out in a 100 miles. Make sure to change the oil and have a clean air filter in the bike at the start.

when was the last time the fork oil was changed and the rear shock serviced? fresh oil and shock charge will make your bike feel like new.. spend some time dialing the suspension in to where it handles the best for you at your race speed.

no lights needed for day races.

In addition to your personal protection list.. Make sure you have a good set of boots, knee pads and if you can swing them elbow pads. if you can't afford a new set of MX boots.. you could post on the MRAN forum for a used pair..

If you have a small fanny pack for tools or room in your camelbak.. you want to bring a few tools and parts in case you have a mechanical problem on the trail.
not too much but stuff like a screwdriver, a few wrenches that fit your bike. a master chain link that fits your chain, a few long bolts and nuts, safety wire and some duct tape.

Make sure you eat a good meal a few hours before the race and drink lots of water (gallon a day) the week before to hydrate yourself.

here's a picture of an "Aloop" modified XR400r

pretty trick huh?

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
your XR will be great. Maybe not a bike a pro would race but a novice/int racer no problem. here in Texas before the 4stk boom. the 4 stk class was dominated by the xr400. some were uber tricked out... just make sure you go over the bike well before the race. check all the nuts and bolts for correct tightness, spokes, sprocket bolts, chain in good shape, brake pads good? check your throttle cable for frays and if needed replace anything that is broken or could wear out in a 100 miles. Make sure to change the oil and have a clean air filter in the bike at the start.

when was the last time the fork oil was changed and the rear shock serviced? fresh oil and shock charge will make your bike feel like new.. spend some time dialing the suspension in to where it handles the best for you at your race speed.

no lights needed for day races.

In addition to your personal protection list.. Make sure you have a good set of boots, knee pads and if you can swing them elbow pads. if you can't afford a new set of MX boots.. you could post on the MRAN forum for a used pair..

If you have a small fanny pack for tools or room in your camelbak.. you want to bring a few tools and parts in case you have a mechanical problem on the trail.
not too much but stuff like a screwdriver, a few wrenches that fit your bike. a master chain link that fits your chain, a few long bolts and nuts, safety wire and some duct tape.

Make sure you eat a good meal a few hours before the race and drink lots of water (gallon a day) the week before to hydrate yourself.

thanks for the advice. i've never fully prepped a bike before. I know how to take apart, and put back together suspension, wheels, brakes, and controls, but im gonna see if my "small engines" teacher can rebuild my engine for me.

kenaroo

Reaction
remember the XR400 engine is pretty bullet proof. if it runs good.. I'd check the valves for proper clearance and race it. that is unless your bike has thousands of miles or a ton of hours (100 +). If not. I'd bet your fine.

RUFF_RYDER

Reaction
Mran is def where you should start.
Friend races in it and loves it. Decent turn out. few hundred ushally

Chase 2

Reaction
You should go out to the race tonight even if you don't race it. Just look around and watch.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
i wish i could go to the race, but my dad's busy.

and the engine is definetley bulletproof. i adjusted all of the controls yesterday, cleaned and greased them. im going to test the suspension some time in the next week. hard or soft suspension? its in the middle right now. brakes are good. my gear is good. i duct taped zip-ties to my handlebars, which i figured would be very useful. Is a radio a good idea?

Attachments

• kdk_0514.jpg
    kdk_0514.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 139
  • kdk_0515.jpg
    kdk_0515.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 149
  • kdk_0519.jpg
    kdk_0519.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 136

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
i just sent an email to Shanna at MRAN, about there being a race in September, and getting some details about it.

on the MRAN calander, it shows that there is a race on September 19th, but has no details. Does anyone on RDC have any details? at least where it is?

Lucho

Reaction
Im fifteen. Where can i race my XR400 or YZ250F? I understand my age is a handicap.

I'm not looking for moto-x events, because those races just aren't appealing to me.
i'm looking for Desert races. preferably around southern Nevada. I heard they have a desert test track around Armagosa? I have tons of experience in the desert. not much into motoX.

thanks for the help.

Go to this link and check it out. Next race is August 15, night race in Cal City: http://www.altavistaevents.com/09sc04.htm

If 14 and over OK. Bring your friends, you'll have a blast and you'll race for two hours! Now that's a race. It's SuperCourse Round 4

jjordan

Reaction
sounds like fun...be sure to give us a full race report here when your done with your 1st race

team el vado 27Q

Reaction

thanks for the help.

move to so cal!!!! :cool:

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
this is a tough decision.

Shanna said that the flyer will be up two weeks before the race. But there is that Cal City race, which is not during the school year. but it is a night race, which is a good thing. and i ride in that area a lot.
The MRAN race will be in Nevada though. ill talk with my dad.

and yeah, i wish i could move to so cal.

EDIT: i just read that you need 1 novice, 1 expert, and one rider over 40. I guess i would be considered a novice, and i need a rider over 40, and an Expert. My dad can't ride. So i need 2 more people, and one has to be experienced, and one has to be 40+. looks like the MRAN race would be better if i can't find people i can rely on for the Cal city race.

I can ironman the MRAN race right?