Iconic Off Road Stumbling Grounds

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
As I watched this video today, it reminded me of certain places in off road. Places that regardless of danger arrows, markings, pre run and experience that will ruin your racing day. Places that you see a picture, a video, or a story and don’t need a mile marker. You don’t even need to know what race, what year or what class it was in.

Just curious if you all have similar places you recall. Maybe you check up? Maybe you do full send knowing you will beat it this time.

Attachments

• IMG_2407.mov
    4.2 MB · Views: 2

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
Website
www.codeoffroad.com.mx
ill would say early days zoo road, or the dump when you enter the powelines leaving san felipe going north

MTPyle

Reaction
Every course has its gotcha's. Want to know where they are ask a photog or course worker. LOL

I watch a lot of videos from races we are about to race to find the areas that things go wrong. If I see a obstacle that a couple guys have wrecked I start to do some digging to find out there that is and what it's called. if more than 1 vehicle has crashed there I am sure the next one will get caught on video.

Only thing thats hard to gauge is the different vehicles. That corner was bad for the UTV's but in our truck it wasn't too bad. It was still gnarly but was not going to send you over like it did the UTV's and smaller buggy's. The opposite can also be true where the smaller vehicles dont care and we are going fast going that it can end our day.

Mike

J Prich

Reaction
As I watched this video today, it reminded me of certain places in off road. Places that regardless of danger arrows, markings, pre run and experience that will ruin your racing day. Places that you see a picture, a video, or a story and don’t need a mile marker. You don’t even need to know what race, what year or what class it was in.

Just curious if you all have similar places you recall. Maybe you check up? Maybe you do full send knowing you will beat it this time.
That section at the Mint has definitely become the most consistent gotcha on the course over the last few years. Before that I would say it was the pavement turn coming out of the quary. Any time you have multiple crashes in the same spot at the same race you know it's a tricky spot.

Personally the section from Pit 1 to Pit 2 for V2R is not my fav, lol.

scott1450

Reaction
La Rana racing series.... shows my age.
in Ridgecrest wide open in a 1-1600 (80 mph ish)see a van out in the middle of nowhere, wonder what the hell is this guy doing out here?
About a half mile later I know what he was doing. I have this great pic of 4 inches of bumper and one half of a front wheel breaking through this wall of flying dirt and rocks.
It turn out that it was a washout about 5' deep and 8' across and I hit the far side about in the middle.
Still one of the most bone jarring hit I have taken.

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I always refused to pre-run..... totally against it.... that's not desert racing.... people that knew that about me and respected that fact, would warn me about places on the track.... Once I got a warning about a huge drop off just after the infamous rock pile.... the rains had caused a wash out, drop off..... they told me not to brake but to just gas it like it wasn't there.... I did that.... it was wild, but their advice was good.....
toyota06.jpg

The drop off, wash out was gone on the second lap, thus my point about pre-running......
Every lap was like you had gone to a different planet.....

Last edited:

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction

The Shea Rd rollers are classics to me. Racing into the sun, cold mornings etc. Been huge sends and huge wads.

The bunny jumps have been media gold for the past 10 years.

The old rollers in Osborne wash after the Shea Rd crossing used to be great.

In Primm the big rocky rollers before or after (depending on direction) the shooting range were great too. Mike's race photo had the best pic of the 1600 car completely flat upside down like 10 feet in the air in '08 or so.

Out by Apex on the old mint course there was a downhill corner that came into a 3-4' ledge that was great for carnage as well. Exact location might be off as its been awhile since I've been through there.

Last edited:

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
I always refused to pre-run..... totally against it.... that's not desert racing.... people that knew that about me and respected that fact, would warn me about places on the track.... Once I got a warning about a huge drop off just after the infamous rock pile.... the rains had caused a wash out, drop off..... they told me not to brake but to just gas it like it wasn't there.... I did that.... it was wild, but their advice was good.....
View attachment 224228

The drop off, wash out was gone on the second lap, thus my point about pre-running......
Every lap was like you had gone to a different planet.....
With a 18 mph avg speed you didn't need to pre-run

Rcamp99

Reaction
Dyke Jump at Primm Has had a few big crashes, especially when it went backwards..
Dog leg in Jean always good for some ripped off corners
Silt beds @ V2R and the roads and holes around them :D

MTPyle

Reaction
That table top at Apex just goes to show how
Stupid we can be. I literally watched Cole
Potts crash there and then I hit the same hill way too fast. We went the same speed at the RST truck that rolled but we were lucky to hit it about 2 feet to the left and not hit the part that really kicked. We looked at their in car and we were both doing 48mph when we hit it. We almost went over but didn’t. Pure luck.

so even when I knew there was a gotcha I still almost crashed. Duh stupid. Lol.

Mike