ID registration, Calif Hwy Patrol issues

LTL220

Reaction
I own a house in ID and a house in CA. I have a current ID drivers licence and registration on my car. When ever I come here to CA the CHP wants me to register my car here in CA. I recently got a letter from the CHP mailed to "Resident" at my CA address. It lists the make and licence number of my car but the state they list is Utah.

My question is do I have to register my car here in CA or can I keep the registration in ID.

Thanks for your help! :eek:

michael_loomis

Reaction
Legally, if you spend more than 10 days here, it's supposed to get registered here. I would just blow it off since if you do have to go to court for whatever reason, you can show them valid ID residence. Just have to make clear that your vacation home here rarely see's you more than a week at a time.

Chase 2

Reaction
How are they to know the car doesn't spend most of its time in ID?? You got a letter from the CHP about registration?? Are you sure it wasn't DMV?? I would like to see a copy of that letter.

I suggest that you stop getting pulled over by the CHP and you won't have that problem!! LOL!!!

LTL220

Reaction
How are they to know the car doesn't spend most of its time in ID?? You got a letter from the CHP about registration?? Are you sure it wasn't DMV?? I would like to see a copy of that letter.

I suggest that you stop getting pulled over by the CHP and you won't have that problem!! LOL!!!
Yeah, it's from the CHP. It's addressed to "Resident" and shows my licence plate but the state is wrong it says Utah. !?!
It goes on to say unless I comply they will investigate. :rolleyes:

My guess is, someone (neighbor?) went on the chp website and reported my out of state plate but got the state wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
You might try looking through RV forums to get a clear definition or a good workaround. Many retirees live in Canada or the northern states in the summer and CA and AZ in the winter.

Chase 2

Reaction
You could always reply and truthfully tell them you don't own a vehicle that is registered in Utah. LOL

I've also got "citizenship" in multiple states and have had vehicles registered in both states at the same time as well as DL that doesn't match the vehicle state registration when pulled over for speeding. I was asked by the Boarder Patrol crossing back in from Baja about a DL that didn't match my vehicle's registration state. I'm always going back and forth and that's what I tell them, its never been a problem.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
all depends on where ya file yer income tax....

Right Jrod??

Shaggy

Reaction
Yeah, it's from the CHP. It's addressed to "Resident" and shows my licence plate but the state is wrong it says Utah. !?!
It goes on to say unless I comply they will investigate. :rolleyes:

My guess is, someone (neighbor?) went on the chp website and reported my out of state plate but got the state wrong.

Thanks again for your help.
Now that you got the letter, my suggestion is to comply with it. If you don't and CHP/DMV figures out who you are and show that you know about it, then you'll have issues. Sooner or later............

Just helpful advice:D

Chase 2

Reaction
all depends on where ya file yer income tax....

Right Jrod??
You don't pay income tax based on where you live, you pay where you did the work. You could live in CA and pay ID, MT and WY taxes. Been there done that.