Ideas for getting racing to Utah.

slcpunk74

Reaction
So I know there has been some talking going around about trying to set up some races in Utah but lets start getting some names and faces here and start the talkin.
I have heard from some that they are getting a shortcourse track setup for protrucks or something out at miller motorsports, and I was thinking maybe we could try and get a race there that anybody could run. I was thinking it would be really cool to have races a couple times a year out at a place like miller because its close to most Utah guys and the shortcourse would be a really cool thing.

Ok your turn... Anybody have anything in the works? Anybody have any connections we can exploit(I mean use ha ha)?

Hi Im Chadwick and I am 21, I live in West Bountiful Utah, I have a 94 toyota that a friend and I are building, and I would like to have some local racing.

yzmike777

Reaction
That would rock. I wanna see desert racing come to utah too. we have a whole empty west desert from south to north. there is definitely tons of opportunity here.

BGRANT

Reaction
I would love to see it and they do call Utah "The State of Sport", but I think the CROC wearing eco nazis would squash it.
Miller would be a great place for short course for sure. It is an awsome fascility. Maybe there is somebody from the Sage Riders that could have some insight. They do have an AMA National at Cherry Creek and there is a lot of land in that area to have a desert race.

lf1952

Reaction
To get a desert race as opposed to a short course I would reccomend talking to BITD (Casey) since he seems to be able to work with the BLM and others. Much of his Nevada 2000 course was similar in ratio of public/private land as a race in Utah would likely be.

slcpunk74

Reaction
This is good now were talking. I really think Cherry creek would be great, knolls, Delle, even down south more or up north more. I talked to a guy at Mt. Logan off road and he said he worked at miller doing something so I will find his number and shoot him a line. I am all for any racing, I would love to have a race that our 1.5" dom caged toyota would qualify for and short course would just be sick but hey I will take what I can get now that BORE is gone.

manicmechanic

Reaction
Poeple are making it happen in oregon and washington when I thought their was no chance. Why not utah. Does BYU have an engineering program?

BGRANT

Reaction
University of Utah has an engineering program. I know a teacher that was building a mini buggy for a class project.

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Weber State has a Pre-Engineering, and a Manufacturing program. I know they sponser a Mini-Baja team. Utah State also has an Engineering program.

I can talk to the professors at Weber State, and see if they have any students that might be interested.

And I will bring our Class Nine to any race in Utah. I would love to have some races closer to home.

I live in Centerville by the way.

slcpunk74

Reaction
Good well Qurtyslyn you have a task and I still need to have my buddy narlsbently find that guys number at Mt. Logan. If anybody else has any ideas well we all know where to throw them.

D4D

Reaction
For desert racing there is the BORE series that runs in UT and northern NV. They are a smaller group but run great events and have a lot of good people involved.

The rumor of Miller doing a short course is true! I am friends with the off road park manager he tells me that the course is coming along really good and should be open this year. Though as of yet, there are no races scheduled, it is more of a test facility. The biggest issue with running a large event there is the lack of spectators. World Super Bike raced there 2 weeks ago to a weak crowd, ALMS, Grand Am and others also struggle to get any real spectator numbers. The valley is huge, there are a ton of potential fans, the races are marketed well but no one seems to come out. It is a real shame because eventually SBK will not come back unless the crowd grows and the same with the other series. Until they get fans running a LOORS or TORC race there would be risky.

slcpunk74

Reaction
For desert racing there is the BORE series that runs in UT and northern NV. They are a smaller group but run great events and have a lot of good people involved.

The rumor of Miller doing a short course is true! I am friends with the off road park manager he tells me that the course is coming along really good and should be open this year. Though as of yet, there are no races scheduled, it is more of a test facility. The biggest issue with running a large event there is the lack of spectators. World Super Bike raced there 2 weeks ago to a weak crowd, ALMS, Grand Am and others also struggle to get any real spectator numbers. The valley is huge, there are a ton of potential fans, the races are marketed well but no one seems to come out. It is a real shame because eventually SBK will not come back unless the crowd grows and the same with the other series. Until they get fans running a LOORS or TORC race there would be risky.
BORE is no longer together. I hear they are out of money. The rest is good news and I really hope we can get some short course races that the average guy can run. I think a small event a couple times a year even an evening race or something low key would be great.

D4D

Reaction
Wow, I had not heard that BORE is closed down, that is really sad, just visited their website and see that you are right.

There is also an event being worked up in in south east Idaho, not a race but there is a group putting together a 2 day desert prerun type of event with all sorts of sections and terrain. I will keep you all posted.

yzmike777

Reaction
usra runs bike and quad desert races all over the state, so maybe we could work with them and just add classes. I think the best race would be down by hurricane and run all the whooped out trails through the sand hollow dunes.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
My idea for getting racing to Utah is.... give a trophy truck ride to the President of the LDS Church and his council of 12 apostles. They will be so turned on that they will make desert racing a temple sacrement.....

Seriously... I think Utah is a great place for desert racing... First, there is lots of Federal, State, and private land suitable for courses. Secondly, desert racing takes lots of family and friends and Utah has lots of that... big enthusiastic families that like outdoor activities. Thirdly, Utahns are very outdoor oriented, and they generally love their motorcycles, quads, and utvs... they would really take to desert racing if they can afford it. There is good motorcycle racing in Utah and the Western Utah Desert has all of the Bonneville Salt Flats motorsports activities... I say GO FOR IT, UTAH! Who is gonna step up and make it happen?

BORE was recently owned and run by a Colorado family... awfully tough to run from so far away, I am sure.

don't hate me.. I am a "bajapussysbro down with the off road movement"

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Would love to have an Evening race. Put two brand new KC's on the car last year, and haven't had a chance to use them yet. :(

I'll talk to any professors I can find next time I'm up at Weber. Should have a meeting with my Advisor soon, will see what I can do. Any information you want me to give to them?

slcpunk74

Reaction
Wow, I had not heard that BORE is closed down, that is really sad, just visited their website and see that you are right.

There is also an event being worked up in in south east Idaho, not a race but there is a group putting together a 2 day desert prerun type of event with all sorts of sections and terrain. I will keep you all posted.
If you get any links or other info on the prerun please pm me.

QurtysLyn

Reaction
I'm thinking we need a more set plan for approaching people (and Businesses!) about racing in Utah. One grand set of information, so that everyone spreads the same information. We need to figure out who to approach as well.

We already have three major colleges on the list to approach, Weber, Utah, and Utah St. We need to figure out businesses to approach as well. Miller Motorsports Park (and the Miller group as a whole) is a great place to start. Ken Garff's is another business I would think to approach, mostly cause I happen to work there. :D I know Garff's sponser a lot of local teams, as well as many local events and causes.

Other smaller businesses could be approached, like Full Throttle and Tri-City in Centerville. Some of them are bound to be interested, and they're bound to know people who might be interested in racing.

Just been doing some thinking on a uneventful sunday night. :D

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
Actually, the permits are nontransferrable, so anyone could start a sanctioning body and procure them, provided the blm or whoever's land it is wants to still play ball... and then you have the I word - Insurance :eek:

Matt Stevens

Reaction
Here is a better Idea I'll meet all of you out at 5 mile next weekend and we all race to sand mountain. everybody finds their own way (no set corse) and the entry fee is $200 all money go's to the winner. that way its not an event with permits and insurance its just a bunch of guys out wheelin like it was in the early years of Baja.