ideas on shock hoops??

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I am considering building shock hoops for the rear of my ranger. does anyone have any good pictures of simple bed cage type shock mounts, I see pictures around, but they are never very close up to get much use out of them. also, is it better to mount the shocks inside the frame, like the factory mounts on the axle housing, or I've seen it done outside the frame directly above the leaf springs, with the lower mount on the U-bolt brackets...what's the best way to do the upper mounts? any tips, closeup pics, etc would be appreciated.
oh yeah, I have limited tools..., you know..."I've got a friend with a..."

thanks, Jaron

Flea

Reaction
If you run your shocks on the outside of the frame rails you can make a removable cross brace so you can still use your bed somewhat for street use.(dirtbikes?) just a thought. good luck. If I did not have a bike id mount them on the inside just cuz i dont like the whole idea of mounting the shocks to leaf spring bracket hold down thingymajig. You can mount the shocks a good four inches lower in the bed (not sticking up above your bedsides as much) by mounting it on the axle tubes instead of on the leaf bracket. guess it depends on how thick your leafpack is too...

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Moutning them outside the fram rails give your truck more stability.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

Timberwlf

Reaction
Jdogg,

I Have to agree with Kritter...The closer to the wheel that the shocks are the better for stability..

Heres a pic of my setup..

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

rdc

Reaction
thanks you guys, brandon, do you have any other pictures that show the shock mounts, both on you bed cage and on the leaf springs...? If anybody has good pics, i'd like to see them...thanks, Jaron

Josh_Bethmann

Reaction
Camburg is building a custom hoop for my truck. One of my stipulations was that I wanted to still use the bed. THey are building it with removable bars and so forth. I will post pics when it is done. It is scheduled for next week, so we'll see what happens. It will be low profile with the shock mount on the top of the leaf pack on the outside of the frame rail. go to http://www.JTB-Design.com

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
hey timberwlf, is that a transmission cooler in your bed with a fan on it?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Timberwlf

Reaction
Jdogg --- Ill take some more pics of my rear setup for ya this weekend and post them..

Shaun --- Ya thats my transmission cooler..I had a c-4 in it but now ive got a 5.0 w/aod transmission

Ill post some more pictires this weekend

Brandon
avprerunners.com (Coming Soon)

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

rdc

Reaction
josh...is your new bed cage gonna have those cool "billet removable tube clamp" thingies I've seen on camburg's site? those look pretty trick, and more functional than having to unbolt a brace.
Jaron

Josh_Bethmann

Reaction
THe details are not clear yet, but it could. There clamps are very strong as they are milled from 4130 while most are milled from mild steel. It should be very trick when it is done.
-Josh

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.JTB-Design.com>http://www.JTB-Design.com</A>

scott

Reaction
With a leaf spring set up, you get better articulation running your shocks on the outside of the frame rails...