identify 091 starter

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I know 002 and 091 bellhousings are differnet size (depth), how do I identify which bellhousing I have? I'm going to use a Hi Torque starter. My buddy has an extra is there a specific dimension for the pinion to tell if it's for a 091 or 002 bellhousing?

Fourstroker

Reaction
I know 002 and 091 bellhousings are differnet size (depth), how do I identify which bellhousing I have? I'm going to use a Hi Torque starter. My buddy has an extra is there a specific dimension for the pinion to tell if it's for a 091 or 002 bellhousing?

The only difference I have found with the HiTorque starters is that the are clocked differently. Has something to do with the starter hole angle on the bellhousing. Other wise I have found them to be interchangable (002, 091 and Mendeola). I currently have 091 Hi Torque's in my 002 Prerunner and Mendeola Racecar

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I just talked to Eric at Transwerks and he said swingaxles, 002 and 091 all have different starters???

Fourstroker

Reaction
I just talked to Eric at Transwerks and he said swingaxles, 002 and 091 all have different starters???

For a stock starter I believe you. What I posted above is first hand information of what I am currently using. The same 091 version Hi Torque starter has been used on an 091 Race Trans, a 002 Prerunner Trans and a Mendeola 5 Speed Race Trans. I did have to re-clock the aluminum flange plate when I took it from my 091 to the 002. Otherwise this starter has been running strong for about 5 years in many vehicles.

Reaction

You are correct, there is a depth difference of about 3/8 inch. Clocking or rotation has nothing to do with it.

The depth of the gear engagement is deeper for a 091(about 3/8") they are different part #s. Rotating won't work.

Kevin is wrong on this as he was in this thread:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57935&highlight=starter
Perhaps because he has 091 Bell housings on both his tranys.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Reaction
Not a big deal, Kevin. I have both Bell Housings and both starters. They are different. Rick St. John who owns PowerBox Transmissions and builds 100s of them also posted the same info. Perhaps you a have a modified 091 Bell Housing (I had one that was machined to fit the 002 starter in my 1-1600) or you have the same 002 Bell Housing on both your 091 and 002. Anything is possible.

I called IMI who makes Hi Torque Starters and this is what the owner told me:
Part No. IMI-101 is for Mendeola, Type 1, Swing Axle and 002.
Part No. IMI-104 is for the 091 and has a 11mm longer throw.

Your information is wrong - that is not a personal attack on you!

bajaruner11

Reaction
VW's 002 trans used a thinner and shorter belhousing than the 091 trans.
Therefore the 091 uses a starter with a longer throw, as said by Ramsey it's 11mm longer.
If you have an 091 trans or bellhousing using a starter that worked on a 002 trans then your bellhousing has been
machined down and is weeker than the 091 design. I have seen the machined bellhousings
break becasue their cut down to much from this porr man's process (hackjob)
Done correctly if you have an 091 trans then the 091 starter is what you need to buy.

(note; I am referring to what VW did, not what mendeola may or may not have done on their transmissions.)

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
OK, so my buddy has an extra HiTorque starter he is going to give me. How do I tell if it is for a 002 or 091?

We all agree the 091 is longer but just by looking at one starter sitting on a work bench how do I tell? Does HT put the part number on the starters? If so, I'll look for the 104 number??