If you can't beat them join them???

Gage Werke Composites

Reaction
Not literally of course! I am trying to plan a desert race up here in Oregon and I just know I'm going to run into problems with some of the environmental groups. Has anyone had experience with trying to work with them to plan a race? I know most of them won't give an inch, but I figured if someone is up front and honest with them about the actual minimal "impact" on the desert during the planning stages it may help. Work with them on restoration projects before and after the races (picking up trash and debris, removing invasive species, etc...), or even have one of their members on staff during the race to point out issues that need to be fixed after the race.

I know I'm thinking logically and using common sense here, which a lot of these groups don't use to push their agenda, but just a thought. What do you think?

Reaction
Try joining a local chapter of the Sierra Club, then get back to us.

Gage Werke Composites

Reaction
No thanks. Didn't say I wanted to become a terrorist.

Reaction
Actually, there IS a off road group in the Sierra Club, but I don't think it would help your race plans. Back in the 80's a quad rider I knew joined a local chapter of the SC. They didn't know what to do with him besides collect dues, he got bored and quit.

And I don't think the SC is a terrorist group, more like an extortion ring. Just ask Mobil Oil.

dezertchick

Reaction
Actually, there IS a off road group in the Sierra Club, but I don't think it would help your race plans. Back in the 80's a quad rider I knew joined a local chapter of the SC. They didn't know what to do with him besides collect dues, he got bored and quit.

And I don't think the SC is a terrorist group, more like an extortion ring. Just ask Mobil Oil.
Throwing nails on trails makes them a terrorist group in my opinion.
Of course I can't prove it was "them" but I know areas that
are filled with nails and those people who complain about OHV's
in the area are S.C. members.

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
Not literally of course! I am trying to plan a desert race up here in Oregon and I just know I'm going to run into problems with some of the environmental groups. Has anyone had experience with trying to work with them to plan a race? I know most of them won't give an inch, but I figured if someone is up front and honest with them about the actual minimal "impact" on the desert during the planning stages it may help. Work with them on restoration projects before and after the races (picking up trash and debris, removing invasive species, etc...), or even have one of their members on staff during the race to point out issues that need to be fixed after the race.

I know I'm thinking logically and using common sense here, which a lot of these groups don't use to push their agenda, but just a thought. What do you think?

Is this event to be held on Public or private property?

Wayne

Gage Werke Composites

Reaction
BLM, so public land.

Reaction
Throwing nails on trails makes them a terrorist group in my opinion.
Of course I can't prove it was "them" but I know areas that
are filled with nails and those people who complain about OHV's
in the area are S.C. members.
I thought the "Earth FIRST" folks were the terrorists?

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
BLM, so public land.
Well, depending if you have an idea of a course, I would start at the district BLM office
and go from there. They most likely would require an "EA", Enviromental Assement of the proposed
race course.

Other than that, If you are serius about this, I would keep it off the message boards
until you have a permit secured from BLM. There are many more enviro groups other than
just the Sierra club who want all competetive motorsports off public lands.

Wayne

MattV

Reaction
I'm pretty sure individual members of the Sierra Club have participated in acts like that. Every group has an element that is more extreme than the rest. The Sierra Club itself, would of course never condone such things. :rolleyes:

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
And I don't think the SC is a terrorist group, more like an extortion ring.
Yes they are. Nails on trails. Nails in trees slated for being cut are among some of the tactics.
I think if you followed the money trail, that would answer your question

You could try working with them but I doubt you will get much participation. You caould ask and then you could say at least you tried.

Gage Werke Composites

Reaction
I think after I get the BLM permit and if they raise a ruccus I'll approach them and try and work with them. Last resort though, I guess. Most the time they seem to be pretty set in their ways.

racer951

Reaction
Don't lump all groups together or assume they will react the same way. Here in Santa Barbara we recently had environmental groups supporting a new off-shore drilling project, which was turned down 2-1 by the state lands commission but is now being re-opened by the governor.

Environmental groups are like any other interest-specific group in that some will welcome legitimate dialogue and others won't. However, I would look to approach the local environmental organizations rather than chapters of the bigger ones.

Who are the local assembly, senate, and congressional representatives?