If you had a week in baja....

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
So with all these "organized' runs down the peninsula these days, I am throwing the idea around to my buddies of going on our own trip in our 4 seaters, since we don't have raptors...

What are your favorite off the path places to stay, anywhere between ensenada and la paz?

Of course you have the notables, like The old mill, Mikes, Scorpion bay, what are some of your other favorite places?

If you stay at Scorpion bay, where is your next stop? Loreto is close, La paz may be a bit too far especially if you go through Loreto.

flash

Reaction
Mulege straight across to San Ignacio (scorpion bay), down to Commundo, then San Javier Mission, then Loreto. One of our favorite trips. I live in Mulege.

osborne

Reaction
Ensenada to Mikes to San Felipe to Gonzaga bay through Matomi, Calumue wash to BOLA

desertspeed

Reaction
Ensenada to Mikes to San Felipe to Gonzaga bay through Matomi, Calumue wash to BOLA
This right here. I think a week is a little short for a trip much further south down unless you want to spend the entire time driving. If you have the time also check out Bahia de las Animas south of BOLA- one of my favorite spots in all of Baja. I do like the coast road up the Pacific side from San Quintin to Santo Tomas as well.

ACME

Reaction
Ensenada to Santo Tomas, over the hills and down the coast to Erendira/San Quetin, out to Observatory Rd, over to El Coyote back way to Mikes and out at Valle T & Tacos. Then across to San Felipe to Gonzaga bay through Matomi, Calumue wash to BOLA.

Last edited:

y2kbaja

Reaction
DEFINITELY go to Guerro Negro during whale season (late Jan-March). We were there a year ago this week and there were only a couple whales hanging around but we got a mom and pup that were very playful. It was for sure a bucket list item. I recommend Shari's tour.

Our trip with our wives was: San Felipe, BoLA, San Ignacio, Loreto, Bahia de Conception, Guerro Negro, San Felipe.

Attachments

SolaidJeff

Reaction
DEFINITELY go to Guerro Negro during whale season (late Jan-March). We were there a year ago this week and there were only a couple whales hanging around but we got a mom and pup that were very playful. It was for sure a bucket list item. I recommend Shari's tour.

Our trip with our wives was: San Felipe, BoLA, San Ignacio, Loreto, Bahia de Conception, Guerro Negro, San Felipe.
Sounds like your trip was longer than 1 week.

desertspeed

Reaction
Sounds like your trip was longer than 1 week.
We actually just did almost this exact trip last week. Utah to San Felipe day 1, SF to BOLA and stayed there for 2 days, then 2 days in Guerrero Negro, then back to SF, then back to Utah. 7 days. Without the extra 6 hours each way up to UT, you could easily add another section.

IMG_2170.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda48X

Reaction
The Wales are a must. There will be a time when even in Baja you will not be able to touch a Wale.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I'm subscribed. I'm looking for groups doing trips in pre-runners.

SolaidJeff

Reaction
I have been planning a trip with my wife. Thinking Vegas to Ensanada or to San Quintin with a stop at La Bufadora, stay at the Old Mill or Mission Santa Maria for the night. Then head over to Gonzaga Bay with a stop at La Lobera. At Gonzaga Bay maybe camp or stay at Alfonsina's. Maybe spend 2 days to paddle board and explore the beaches between Punta Final and Puertecitos. Then San Felipe for a night. Then home to Vegas. My wife has never been past TJ and I think this would be a good welcome to Baja trip for her. My next goal would be plans to see the whales next year.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
BTW- we would be in a 4X4 Truck so off the beaten path destinations are great!!

stewwalker

Reaction
This thread matches up well with my planning of our 500 trip. 12 days in Baja, 3 guys, 2 bikes, support truck, trading truck duty every day. Vally T > San Quintin, San Quintin > Catavina, Catavina > BOLA/Guerrero Negro, Guerrero Negro > San Ignacio, San Ignacio > Scorpion Bay, then possibly Loreto or Mulege. Been piecing together race courses and known roads over the past 6 years. Any secret places along the way?

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
Well I will try to keep everyone updated, as to what I plan. Sounds like I know most of good spots already ha ha

AZ7000'

Reaction

Last few weeks, GN & BOLA. It’s all great! Wife found n saved a turtle while my 4yo filmed.

Back next week to race, can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

MRusich

Reaction
Keep us updated. We would love to tag along in our pre-runners if so!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Adventure is what you make it...... develop a solid plan and do your own research so you know the info as best possible but also remember it is Baja and there is a lot of unexpected cool stuff too see.

If there's anything I can help you with CJ let me know. We are doing our Rip to Cabo trip in October this year and I love that month on the peninsula...it can and will be hot in some spots so plan accordingly. Swimming is epic in the warm waters of late summer.

Enjoy and text if you have any questions we could help with. Brappppp!