IFS Suspension...again

CanyonMan

Reaction
I have noticed that a few of the members here have IFS chevies and GMC's like mine, 88-98. I have gotten feedback from some of you on kits in progress or possible kits in the future. Has anybody finished their long travel kits for these or used a 4 or 6 inch lift and modified it to get a couple more inches of travel? I have narrowed my search for lift kits to the Dick Cepeck 6" kit or the Rancho 4" kit as they seems to have good reputations to holding up to abuse and keeping good suspension geometry. I should be buying my kit sometime this year and was looking for any additional input before I buy. Thanks.

Lyrch

kjmiller1

Reaction
I wouldn't modify any of those kits, but invest in some good shocks. Those companies have invested a lot of money to build a RELIABLE product, its not worth a couple of inches. Lifted IFS chevies ride pretty good, but if going 80 down some washes in the desert is what you like to do, buy a 2wd and save yourself a lot of money in repairs.

93 f150

CanyonMan

Reaction
The truck is going to be my all around play toy, mud, sand, rock crawling, desert. I agree with quality shocks for sure and plan on replacing the ones from the kit as soon as possible with SAWs or Bilsteins. I do plan on building a desert specific truck in the future as I know the kits are limited in what they can do. I just don't wanna be a disco truck for damn sure.

Lyrch

sirhk100

Reaction
I agree with the above post. All of the mass produced suspension companies spend A LOT of time engineering their kits to provide good handling on the road. Some do get a little performance gain off road too. All the kits by Ranch, Fabtch, Trailmaster, RCD (my company), Superlift, etc... Are just lift kits, not long travel kits even though some of the companies market them as that. If you want travel, it's possible even with the 4WD but it's gonna take some decent fab work and some $$$.

Outta pure curiosity, why have you narrowed your decision down to those two companies and no others.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

redline

Reaction
I have the Cepek 6" kit and i am quite pleased with it. I have 7100 series bilstiens on the front. The 10 stroke 8 body 7100 series bolts into the stock location. I have used my truck pretty hard with the kit and havent had a problem. A week after i put the kit on my truck i was t-boned by a car going about 40mph he hit me in the front wheel and the only damage done was a bent tie rod. Didnt even have to get an alignment done after i changed the tie rod.

CanyonMan

Reaction
I looked at price, quality, alignment issues, subframes, durability, customer service, and word of mouth either spoken or message boards. I was originally going to go with Fabtech but heard way too many Craptech type comments, at least for IFS trucks. I chose the Dick Cepek and Rancho kits because of excellent feedback from people. I was originally going to go with the RCD kit and the ONLY two reasons why I didn't was because of the Subframes don't seem to be strong enough (bending) and alignment issues. Other than that the kit appears to be of excellent quality. I am still open to suggestions though and that is why I posted here because I feel I will get the most honest information possible form this group.

Lyrch

tedmales

Reaction
i am not sure about the cepic, but the rcd uses a new spindle, not just a drop mount for the upper control arm. i have not heard of them having any problems, and its way easier to put on.

life is too short to be small