illegal or not?

khoolguy

Reaction
On a roll cage, is it illegal to have the 2 triangulated bars going down the middle of the winshield on a street legal truck???

Greg J.

evan_clanin

Reaction
i think it ic, cuz it blocks ur vision, i know they dont like tags and things hanging from the miror either, but im not sure. not to hi jack but i got pulled over the other night and got a ticket for not having a rear bumper, is this illegal to not have one, or is the cop just being a chump

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
Chris Wilson has the roll cage bars come down the middle and his truck and it is street legal. It is registered as a "special construction vehicle" so I do not know if that made a difference, but it passed the highway patrols safety inspection.

martininsocal

Reaction
There are vehicles that have a bar coming down through the middle of the windshield from the factory. Infact, every fire engine I drive has a split windshield. I guess I should expect to get pulled over! :)
Actually, anything that impairs you vision is illegal, but I think the cop would have to prove in court(hint hint, take it to court) that the bars obstruct the drivers peripheral and straigt ahead vision while sittine in the operators normal operating position. I believe there is actually a percentage of windshield that can be covered before it obstructs peripheral. If they run anywheer through the front of the drivers position, cut them out.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I was pulled over for my Fly No. 5 Black Flys glasses and told that I could not wear them because they obstructed my perirpheral vision!!!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

ESB4130

Reaction
the bars going through the windshield area thing bugs me. becuase it does NOT obstruct your vision at all. maybe if you only had 1 eye, but if youve ever taken a physics class and you know anything about "line of sight" then you know that there is only about a 1 foot distance of area behind the bars that you cant see. if you got a ticket for it, i'd research physics a little and show it to the court. for an example, hold your finger out arms length from you, and look at it but PAST it. youll notice that your finger doesnt block anything behind it from being seen, this is part of the reason why you have TWO eyes instead of ONE.

anyways, if you REALLY want to get technicle about it...your not allowed to modify the vehicle in any way really. lifting the front of your truck is illegal because its not "passenger car friendly", putting a roll cage is illegal because its "non-standard safety equipment". there are no DIRECT laws saying that their illegal, but the police or the courts or inspectors can be dicks and call your modifications whatever they want because of the generalized wording of the laws.

so, in reality you run the risk of getting a ticket for nearly ANY modification on your vehicle. hell...even having an offroad truck with no mudflaps will get you a ticket. all you can do is not get caught or fight it in court.

Kbach66

Reaction
Ha! What about the old farts that wear those big ass black glasses. Those things are blinders if you ask me!!

desertratt

Reaction
i got pulled over over once in one of my old trucks that was done up with a full cage. the cop asked me if it was street leagal? "i dont know!" i told him. "you tell me your the officer!" the cop was pretty cool all he wanted to know was where my dash was cuz it had the vin #'s on it and told me that i needed to get a lite on my license plate. as for the bars in the window he didnt say anything. but i am sure they are illeagal. i got a ticket once for lettering on my windshild.

drive fast and take chances!!

evan_clanin

Reaction
i also got a ticket one time for not having my seat belt on, but the thing is, i had a 4 point on, now how does that work

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
They are not DOT approved.....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

evan_clanin

Reaction
i think if ya did the test a 4 and 5 point is a hell of alot better that a belt mounted to the floor

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yup but then you would get some people who do not mount them correctly or not buckle them properly and end up killing them self in an accident....they are not fool proff like a regular seat belt where you just push it in and your good to go.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The problem is if they were DOT approved the cost of approval would drive the price so high, people would not use them for street anymore and some of these comapnies would go out of business. THe trick thing to do is to take off the sewn on label or go to the junkyard and get old ones with sewn on label and have them sewn to the harnesses.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

elcaprerunner

Reaction
My Dad is CHP... He says as long as your are wearing a ( any seatbelt including 4 points) seatbelt you would never get pulled over by him, he goes by what his superiors at his office tell him ( sorry about your luck with the CHP Kris). He also says he would never pull anybody over for having bars that go through the windshield that are part of a roll cage, because it is part of the safety equipment that you have put into your vehicle for a purpose not meant for stock use, but as long as you have the essentials you will be fine. I have a huge "Got Sand?" sticker on the windshield of my Elco and my parents have never said anything about it and I have never been pulled over for it either. About a year ago me and my buddy were in his prerunner Explorer which had a full cage and everything, and we were screwing around in this desolate field in San Dimas, long story short we put that Explorer on its roof... Within 5 minutes there were five cop cars ( three Sherriff and two CHP), two fire trucks, and an ambulance on the way but got cancelled because we were okay. If it were a regular vehicle there would have been a huge police report and maybe charges filed against us, but since it had a roll cage it was considered an "off-road vehicle" ( by the cops) so they just called a tow truck, pulled it on its wheels, and we took it home with no fines or anything charged to us because nobody owned the property which we rolled on.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
They are just jealous!

Kris

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
I've been pulled over for A LOT of stuff on the truck. I was deciding what to do on the cage bars in the origional topics, but thanks to the physics comment I will be doing them!
As far as 5 pt.s - I have been pulled over 3 or more tikmes w/ a 5 pt on and never gotten a ticket for it. One time I got pulled over and the cop said he pulled me over for no seatbelt (said he couldn't see it coming down from the pillar, over my shoulder). When he walked up to the truck he asked why I didn't have a seatbelt on. Knowing they were illegal (not DOT approved as stated above) I looked down at the mass of 3" belts on my lap and said "I've got this one". He said "looks like a very safe system, have a nice day" and he walked off. I don't think cops will bug you for the belts, unless you are being a dick and deserve one. Or, they are being a dick - which is possible w/ SOME of them. Steve

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Here's a stupid Teenager/CHP story:

This one time when I was 18, I was driving on the 91 and I got pulled over for my stereo being too loud...YES, I said my stereo being too LOUD!!!!!!!!!!

The Chippy pulled up next to me, saw me rocking out I guess, and rolled down his passenger side window-then slowed down, got behind me and pulled me over - WTF. He wrote me up for the following things; excessive noise (stereo being too loud), tinted windows, sticker across windshield (obstruction of view), no front license plate, no light on my rear plate, no mud flaps, having headlamp protectors (remember those cheesy cage looking things you can get at PepBoys, well, I had them), and after he was finished, I told him he was a petty, chicken [daddy didnt love me] of an officer for writing all those little "fix-it" infractions and wasting both of our time. He then yelled at me quite colorfully and added an additional infractions of speeding (61mph in a 55mph zone), which I'm sure I was probably doing.

I learned rather quickly to respect JOHNNY LAW after that one. Still think it was pretty petty.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Another great CHP story to add to the list!!! I would not be able to sleep well at night knowing I just screw people over all day.

Did the cops ever capture the guy from the hi speed chase that the CHP blew? Let the bad guys go and keep writing those petty tickets...gotta love the CHP.

If only CHips had never aired!!!

Kris